Eating expired food

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Eating expired food

Post by RoboBlue »

Have you ever eaten something that was expired? How far beyond the expiration date was it?
I thought I'd start this topic to see what the "most expired" food we've all eaten (and not gotten sick from) is, and to talk about foods that are still edible long after the expiration date.
Right now I'm cooking some instant ramen noodles that I found in the cabinet, which expired six years ago.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I once ate out an old woman. She was expired.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

...I just threw out the ramen, it tastes like sawdust and used condoms. Then again, I think it may have tasted like that when it was fresh. :/
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

RoboBlue wrote:it may have tasted like that when it was fresh. :/
Wat? Ramen = Greatest food ever conceived.
It's the one guilty pleasure I simply cannot give up.

What brand was it? Nissin's Top Ramen? Or that Maruchan garg?
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Ramen can spoil?
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Raymen?

CKeen, I demand you not to eat more Raymen, you already took one >:

And I don't know, I don't eat expired food, why would I?
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I was eating cereal with sour milk for a couple of days before I sat and ate it with my wife. I just thought the new cereal we had was a bit odd but am used to putting up with things till we get more money. It was quite embarrassing to find out I was drinking spoiled milk and didn't notice. I think it was just a few weeks old though, not long enough to turn chunky at least.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I was drinking a can of expired cream soda, also a type of food I didn't know had an expiry date as I think it has nothing natural in it except water.
Plus I drank Beer that was a few years over the limit, but nothing taste altering to be experienced on both occasions.
I know of a friend who at the age of 20 to 22, I don't remember exactly was making his breakfast cocoa out of packages that were expired on his birthay (yes on his actual day of birth).
Image You crack me up little buddy!
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

tulip wrote: I know of a friend who at the age of 20 to 22, I don't remember exactly was making his breakfast cocoa out of packages that were expired on his birthay (yes on his actual day of birth).
WOW! Now THERE is a story!

3 year old chocolate for me, with all its white, crumbly goodness.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I have a whole bunch of four year old mac and cheese boxes that I regularly cook, throwing out the cheese packet and adding decent sauce from a jar (the powdered sauce often comes with worms, even before the expiration date).
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Hm depends. I remember eating expired cheezit crackers... they tasted the exact same.

I might be wrong but I think that humanitarian food aid is often expired stuff. At least that's what some refugees once told me - they said they were eating stuff decades old. I don't believe that, but who knows, maybe it's true.
DeathByNeuralStunner
Grunt

Post by DeathByNeuralStunner »

Some sandwich meat
it was around two days over its expiration

it was still good
Ok who got Stunner goop all over the wall
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The second I put something expired into my mouth, I spit it back out.
You people are all loopy :stoned
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

And how would you know that without seeing an expiration date? Those are calculated for the people who are really bad at storing food. For most people, throwing away food a few days past its expiration date is a waste of money and perfectly good food. Taste and texture degrade, but the food seldom is spoiled when the calendar and expiration dates match. I like to shop at a grocery outlet store; it has a lot of close-dated and "expired" food that has not yet made anyone in my family sick because it's still sealed.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Lots of stuff is just "best before" and doesn't need to be "used by" the date. Although I almost ate some fermenting marmalade yesterday. That was pretty nasty.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.