April Fools Day 2008

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

April Fools Day 2008

Post by ckguy »

Anyone got any good stories about owning people or getting owned? :yorp Post post post!

I currently have a good one underway (not related to you guys, :)) and I'll let you guys know how it went once everything unfolds ... :mort
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

I have to make a new clone, I promised...
Aaaah, not the bees!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

webmaster@dosgames.com wrote:Dear members of the DOSGames community,

In the past, we were all about DOS games and DOS games only. But, we've realized that that sort of reason leaves up in the past. We must move forward to newer and better things. This is why, effective immediately, DOS Games will no longer support DOS as a gaming platform. We will now help with finding, running, and playing Win 9x games. We will pull ourselves from the confines of the 1980s and early 1990s into a sparkly world that is the late 1990s and even the 21st century.

Swing on by. New things are afoot at DOS Games!

Love,
The New Order
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

The Pirate Bay had a good one where they were saying they were moving their servers to Egypt because of new copyright laws in Sweden. It's gone now though, so I can't give you guys a direct quote.

(edit) And of course Gmail's April Fools Joke is always classy.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Some friends and I actually have one planned for tomorrow...I'll tell you about how that goes when it happens! ;)

Most of what I've seen today has been pretty petty kind of things. One guy told me they were making a fourth Evil Dead movie. I believed it, as I am rather gullible. :crazy
Herry Jerry
Vortininja

Post by Herry Jerry »

My gym teacher said that we'd be running outside in the cold today. And, being the gullible youths we are, we believed him :bloody

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to pull any jokes. At all. In fact, I forgot about it being April Fools until I got to this thread :dopekeen
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't know anyone so nobody has told me any. I haven't opened newspaper either nor had time to see anything elsewhere either.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It was the most annoying and boring april 1sts ever.
In the morning one of the guards at our office told me to be aware of lies today. I told em I was already being lied. I lied.
Geez... It was really stupid. IT seems that no one in our office have sense of humor. Anyway...
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Okay, we pulled our April Fool's Day prank today! Here's what happened...

We planned to stage the scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indiana Jones is fleeing from the angry natives with the idol. This was to be carried out in front of our school meeting thing, which happens three times a week and which everybody attends. We arrived at school with our outfits (for all of us being the natives, that meant wearing only shorts and bearing spears) and got ready in the bathroom while everybody else was going to the meeting. I was the shaman, so Phil (the guy organizing it/the one playing Indy) gave me a poncho and headdress to wear, as well as some facepaint. He, meanwhile, had a very uncanny Indiana Jones outfit, as well as a cool golden-idol-looking thing.

Once we were all done up, we all met outside the building where everybody was. Phil walked in from the back door and started wandering around, waiting for everybody to become aware of the fact that Indiana Jones was wandering around. Once somebody in the audience who had been planted began playing the theme music, we all emerged from the back door and started yelling. We chased Phil out the front door, waving our spears and such, leaving everybody inside quite perplexed. :dopefish

It was super awesome. :D
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Heh, that sounds like it was pretty fun, StupidBunny.

About my prank thing I mentioned earlier. It's been pretty much over for the past 24 hours but I was too lazy to type it up. So here goes.

In the morning, everyone wakes up to find memos stuck underneath their door from undergraduate residential operations saying that the men's room in my hallway had mold in it, as did a couple of the nearby rooms, and that the floor was being charged $2,500 to have it cleaned/removed/whatever. And we have to meet in the common room at 6pm to talk with janitors or whatever. So of course we were all like "Sh1t, this really sucks. There are about 30 people on our floor and $2,500 divided by 30 is still a lot of money. Fucl." Then one of the girls on the floor (the floor has three hallways, one girls, two guys) sends out an email to the floor saying "boys are disgusting, there is no hella way we are paying for mold in your bathroom." (She really said 'hella' in the email, and she actually talks this way in real life. It's awesome.) So we're like, crap, what a bitch. Why do we have to pay to clean up mold in the bathroom anyway, the janitors come in there and clean EVERY DAY. Then someone says, You know what, this is probably an April Fools joke. And everyone says, Fuuuuuucl, it probably is. Damn it. Someone calls residential operations and they say there is no record of mold issues on file, so that pretty much decides it.

That's the end of part one. Now part two: My roommate and I were sitting at a table in the common room with two girls from our floor at discussing the prank, Who was responsible, etc. One of the girls shows something on her computer to my roommate (I don't remember what. Facebook probably.) and says -- "Waaaiiit. What's this on your desktop? April Fools.doc?" He opens it, and guess what it is. So then the whole story comes out about which girls planned and executed the prank, but all of the girls knew about it beforehand. End of part two.

Part three - the revenge. So we decide that we need to do some sort of revenge, and so the counterattack is led by my roommate and me. We decide upon sending an email to the girls saying that the residential operations office had received calls about this mold, and realized that this was probably an April Fools joke, but impersonating a college office is still a violation of the honor code, blah blah blah, if anyone has any information about this, please come forward. We addressed the email as though it were going to the whole floor, but only actually sent it to the girls, in case some of the guys in the other wing still thought the original mold memo was real.

Part three - technical stuff - you can skip this if you want. In fact, you probably should. It could be an entry from The Script Kiddie's Cookbook. Sending emails to appear as though they came from other people is actually easier than you would hope. A little help from a Telnet scripting program and a refresher course from the Wikipedia page on the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol are all I really needed. My roommate wrote the contents of the email, and I did the 'hacking' as everyone else called it. For the 'from' address I put the actual address of the residential operations office, but then thought, what if any girls respond to this email? It would go to the residential operations office, which would be BAD. So I created an email alias within the system for myself, something the looked resonably legit, and set that as the 'reply-to' address but kept the 'from' address as the real address for residential operations.

Part four - the revenge unfolds. So I sent out the emails and awaited responses. Eventually I got one, saying "I am very sorry about this, it was a harmless April Fools joke, all in good fun." It then went on to say that me and my roommate were responsible for the mold memo! So I was like, What?! and began to suspect the she knew who this was from. All she would have had to done was done a lookup on the reply-to address, and it would have pointed to me. (This would have been easily avoidable if I had not been worried about residential operations getting the replies.) So anyway, we go to the 'meeting' at 6pm were it unfolds that everyone had figured out that the original memo was a fake, and I learn that the person who responded to my email did indeed know it was from me. She asks me how I did it, and of course I say that I'm kinda not gonna tell her. So everyone laughs a bit, and the meeting disbands somewhat anticlimatically.

Part five - a strong finish. So on the way back to our respective rooms, we run into a girl from our floor who for some reason or other did not attend the meeting, and she is freaking out about the email she got. (This person, incidentally, had been called 'hella neurotic' by the girl back in part one.) She said that she called her mom and was saying, "Oh no, I broke the honor code, it's going in my record, aaahhhh..." And we tell her that it was a fake, and everyone laughs and goes back to their rooms.

Before I forgot, I took the alias off of my email account, because it seemed like a good idea. :)

Anyway, I probably could have shortened this story, but I wasn't really sure what to take out without ruining some of the effect.

PS A Keen Dreams graphics modding tool is available here. Heh, that was a good one KeenRush, you totally fooled me. :dopekeen That was certainly something nice prank. :o
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Brilliant, CKGuy! It probably sounds more intricate than it actually was, but it still sounds pretty awesome. (I bet it turns out that there actually is mold in the bathroom. :dopekeen )
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Haha, yes there is some small amount of mold in there, actually.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

:lol Strange stories! Heh, good one with the mold, the reality part, there being a bit. :)

Heheh, I still remember my prank. :D I have those screenshots saved somewhere too.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

:lol

AH, good times.