Forum Name

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

"Public Commander Keen Forum" or "The Keen Forum"?

Public Commander Keen Forum
79%
The Keen Forum
9%
Something else
12%

Total votes: 33

DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Forum Name

Post by DaVince »

I took the liberty to create a poll about this, even though I'm not a mod, admin or anyone important. Just enthousiastic! :D

Anyway, what do you think? PCKF, TKF, or something different? I'd quite like the name switch to "The Keen Forum".
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Nnnnoooo! Don't change the name!!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't know. I like the PCKF, but on the other hand The Keen Forum sounds good too. But I guess, when if it comes down to it, I think I'll prefer PCKF.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I DO like "The" in the title. It makes it sound... definate.

It's THE Commander Keen forum. Not just ANY Commander Keen forum...

It's THE Commander Keen forum.
Oh yeah... as stated elsewhere I would rather it be "Commander Keen" rather than just, "Keen". "Keen" sounds rather informal.

I also still like "Public Commander Keen forum." Both are nice.
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

I agree with Gal - "The Keen Forum" could be a forum for people who are keen on anything, you really need the full "Commander Keen" in the title so that there's no confusion.
KeenCommander
Grunt

Post by KeenCommander »

I think it would be best to leave it as Public Commander Keen Forum. As Malvineous said, just The Keen Forum has the potential to be confusing and something like just Commander Keen Forum really doesn't sound right.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Malvineous wrote:I agree with Gal - "The Keen Forum" could be a forum for people who are keen on anything, you really need the full "Commander Keen" in the title so that there's no confusion.
But worse, nobody outside the community knows what pckf stands. Wouldn't it be smart to make this place better to find.

And yuk, really, why is everyone so conservative?
Aaaah, not the bees!
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I'd quite like "The Commander Keen Forum", actually. It sounds straightforward yet definitive.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

'The Commander Keen Forum' is the way to go, IMKO. That way we could go for something like keenforum.com instead of a random acronym like PCKF.

I'm with Djaser on this one. Why is this community so fearful of change? I don't see that it would cause so many problems...
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

I'm surprised that everyone is against the PCKF acronym. Having a unique acronym is great to avoid confusion - it doesn't matter where you see PCKF, you immediately know what it means.

It also doesn't matter if nobody outside the community knows what PCKF stands for. We don't need to bend over backwards to cater for people who aren't interested in Keen, if they want to know what PCKF stands for they can look it up. It won't make the forum harder to find, because pretty much every page has the text "Commander Keen" on it, so they'll show up in Google and other search engines regardless of what we call the forum.

As to why I'm against something like "The Keen Forum" you need to forget the name "Commander Keen" for a second. The word "keen" has the same meaning as "enthusiastic" right? So pretend for a moment the main character is called Commander Enthusiastic, defender of Earth. If we called the forum "The Enthusiastic Forum" it would just sound like a bunch of people who are really lively, the name is far too ambiguous.

I don't mind a name change, I just think that it needs to be specific, and it needs to have an acronym you can use anywhere without having to explain which meaning you're using.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

The reason why I'm for a name change is that this place is to hard to find, it doesn't show up in google. Sure if you're tikking in pckf you'll find this place but who knows that pckf has anything to do with Commander Keen?
PCKF. Instead of a to ambigious name we now have a name that means nothing.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Wouldn't "Commander Keen Forum" (CKF) be almost identical to "Public Commander Keen Forum" (PCKF)? Public just sounds too formal. It wouldn't be too much of a change, so I think it'd be better.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Would the name change affect to searches that much? :confused This has 'Commander Keen' in it as well.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

KeenRush wrote:Would the name change affect to searches that much? :confused This has 'Commander Keen' in it as well.
Yes it does, google searches in urls too.
Aaaah, not the bees!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hmm, I like the sound of "PCKF" a lot more than "CKF".