OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

wiivn wrote:
Cobalt wrote:It's a good thing wiivn put all his mods on dropbox, ubuntu one, flash drives, external hard drives, and passed copies around to everyone so it's not lost forever :blush
Your attempt of trying to make fun out of my situation is pathetic.
It's really gone forever? :(
I'm the cool blue keener.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

1) firefox
2) chrome
3) opera
4) safari
5) internet explorer
6) netscape navigator
I'm the cool blue keener.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Firefox is still the best browser. I went through a Chrome phase... then an Opera phase... Screw both of those.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I'm having significant speed issues with Firefox. Switched to Chrome and I don't see a reason to come back. Haven't tried Opera but I remember using it at a friend's place and I couldn't get used to the layout.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Nospike wrote:I'm having significant speed issues with Firefox. Switched to Chrome and I don't see a reason to come back. Haven't tried Opera but I remember using it at a friend's place and I couldn't get used to the layout.
Here's five reasons to switch back:

1) Firefox is open source. Chrome is not.
2) Google used the Firefox source to make Chrome.
3) Chrome spies on you.
4) Chrome ranked #1 in security vulnerability.
5) AdBlock among other useful plugins don't really work on Chrome.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

@wiivn: that first chart is the truest thing I ever saw. And I'm pretty sure it applies to every modding/mapping project I've ever done.

I've been using Chrome for a number of years, and haven't really changed it up out of force of habit if nothing else. Firefox is definitely my go-to browser for when a plugin or something won't work in Chrome, and the fact I ever have to do this in the first place is probably sign enough I should go back to using Firefox, but...I dunno. One day. :P
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I had an opera kick because of the incredible OPEN TABS FROM LAST SESSION MEMORIZATION!!!!!!!!!! but then I went back to firefox when pretty basic and necessary functions just stopped working.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Wait, you mean your firefox doesn't remember your last session? I used to do that but then I got another tab plugin (Session manager) that lets me do more complex stuff so I dumped it.

Paramultart wrote:Here's five reasons to switch back:

1) Firefox is open source. Chrome is not.
2) Google used the Firefox source to make Chrome.
3) Chrome spies on you.
4) Chrome ranked #1 in security vulnerability.
5) AdBlock among other useful plugins don't really work on Chrome..
1.) Google has reached the size that all its well intentioned open source projects are being quietly shelved (That is simply not supported anymore) so that they'll die off. Welcome to evil Google!

2.) They're nothing if not thieves. I mean, adaptable.

3.) Amazing isn't it?, something made by a giant company that makes money advertizing to you wants to know what you do! What's next, spyware on random sites?

4.) It wouldn't be so bad if it were open-

5.) See above.

Fortunately I have Avast in my firefox to keep me safe from all the spyware and cook-

*Avast updates, installs chrome and sets it as a default browser somehow*

Damn it!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I'm fully aware that Firefox and Opera are superior to Chrome in almost every way, but I can't use Firefox because everytime I open a new tab the whole thing freezes for about 5 seconds. It's very annoying. Chrome, despite all the drawbacks, is pretty fast and I don't need adblock anyway.
If I'm going to visit a site that has many ads, I just start up Firefox and go get some food in the meantime. :p
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Levellass wrote:Wait, you mean your firefox doesn't remember your last session? I used to do that but then I got another tab plugin (Session manager) that lets me do more complex stuff so I dumped it.
Only on linux.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Eh? It does or it doesn't only on Linux?

Nospike wrote:I'm fully aware that Firefox and Opera are superior to Chrome in almost every way, but I can't use Firefox because everytime I open a new tab the whole thing freezes for about 5 seconds. It's very annoying. Chrome, despite all the drawbacks, is pretty fast and I don't need adblock anyway.
If I'm going to visit a site that has many ads, I just start up Firefox and go get some food in the meantime. :p
Seriously? My computer is ancient and I get pretty smooth tab opening. I can even use the hotkeys and I have a plugin that automatically loads google into any new tab I open. ('cause Google is the map of the internet.)

The only time it's slow is when I first load it up, and every program down to notepad has a 10 second freeze when first being opened, it's just how old my system is.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Two characters from my childhood, Mr. Box and Mr. Tomato, engaging in their typical antics

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Firefox is a slow memory hog on Windows, Opera and Chrome are fast. On Linux though there's not a massive difference between it and Chrome, and given the extra features of Firefox I've switched back after three or four years using everything else.
Paramultart wrote: 3) Chrome spies on you.
Chromium doesn't though I'm pretty sure. Iunno.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Levellass wrote:Wait, you mean your firefox doesn't remember your last session? I used to do that but then I got another tab plugin (Session manager) that lets me do more complex stuff so I dumped it.
Only on linux.
S'funny, it remembers sessions on my Ubuntu install. All the time.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Keening_Product wrote:
VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Only on linux.
S'funny, it remembers sessions on my Ubuntu install. All the time.
I meant the inverse of that (works on linux, don't have it set up on anything else because too lazy)