OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The perfect camera is the sidescrolling camera focused on 2d sprites and tiles, with no 3D polygons in sight (get the hint, SEGA?).

I'll admit Sonic Adventure is the best of the 3D sonics, in terms of gameplay, at least, but the worst things about it are the non-gameplay stuff that's thrown at us. The most egregious and obvious of these things is humans. Just... no. Bubsy 3D is horrible, but the story and aesthetic still feels consistent and meshes with the previous games (man, it feels wrong to give bubsy a compliment over sonic).

Mario 64 is something in between the two extremes. Amazing game, same world, but the way the world was developed was... uh... I hate his voice.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Hah I said least wonky...it's not to say the camera wasn't still the most dangerous enemy in both games. :P
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

So my new Korg Kronos just arrived today. Plays like a dream.
In a Kronos related google search, I found a website that looks very keenish:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php
:p
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

She just packed her bags and left.

Never a good time for a breakup, but she could have had better timing.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Levellass wrote:For this we can be glad Keen did not make the jump to 3D.
Isn't that like saying they should never make a Half Life 2 movie because Uwe Boll made a terrible Dungeon Siege movie?
Paramultart wrote:She just packed her bags and left.

Never a good time for a breakup, but she could have had better timing.
Sorry to hear that man :(
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

A half life movie shouldn't be made because we already have the game.

A game that took Doom's plot template and added some depth to it. The Doom movie took doom's plot template and somehow removed some of the non-existent depth.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:A half life movie shouldn't be made because we already have the game.
Fair enough, but I think that misses the point I was trying to make ;)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Lava89 wrote:
Levellass wrote:For this we can be glad Keen did not make the jump to 3D.
Isn't that like saying they should never make a Half Life 2 movie because Uwe Boll made a terrible Dungeon Siege movie?
No, it's like saying that Uwe Boll should never make a Half Life movie. Look at Keen GBC, we can all sit back and imagine Tom Hall directing, but that's about as likely as Nintendo finally ending the Zelda or Mario series. It ain't gonna happen until the sun becomes a small, burned-out piece of coal.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Levellass wrote:Look at Keen GBC, we can all sit back and imagine Tom Hall directing, but that's about as likely as Nintendo finally ending the Zelda or Mario series. It ain't gonna happen until the sun becomes a small, burned-out piece of coal.
Again, that's another fair point but an entirely different topic. Saying Tom Hall will never make another Keen game is an entirely different argument than saying Keen should've never made the jump to 3D because one of the worst 3D platformers was released (AKA Bubsy 3D).

Other similar analogies, could be saying there can never be a good transformer movie made because of Michael Bay's or think of how many Batman games sucked prior to 2009? One could easily argue that they should've stopped making Batman games a long time ago because the majority of them sucked (heck, the same could be said for the movies after Schumacher was done with them).

Now am I saying we'll eventually be getting the Arkham Asylum of Commander Keen games? No, I am not.

I just don't agree that you can completely rule out the possibility that Keen could've made a good transition over to 3D, simply based on a bad example of a 3D platformer.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Arkham Asylum is bad and you should feel bad for arguing that batman games should have continued to exist since 2009.

Also, I imagine nintendo ending mario and zelda long before the sun dies out. I can even predict it happening before Tom makes the proper keen GBC remake. (in fact, they already ended at Mario 64, so there)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Lava89 wrote:I just don't agree that you can completely rule out the possibility that Keen could've made a good transition over to 3D, simply based on a bad example of a 3D platformer.
You can't completely rule out the possibility that had Doom never been released Keen could have become a multi-platform gaming empire, a mascot and icon as ubiquitous as Mario or Sonic. In fact you can't rule out anything completely.

But what you can do is make predictions. Will the sun rise tomorrow? Maybe not, who knows what could destroy it while we sleep? But the likelihood is it will. Will next year's hot game be a first person shooter starring a mid-20s white guy with brown hair and eyes? Possibly not, but likely yes.

Would Keen have transitions well? Sonic 2006. Bubsy 3D Jazz Jackrabbit 3D, Lords of Shadows, Final Fight: Streetwise Contra Megaman...

There's a trend here and it says that getting a 2D game into 3D is about as easy as getting Shaymalan to release a good movie. You might get lucky or you might get Avatar.

Now certainly if you kept at it, kept pushing and trying new things you might get a good 3D Keen game. Our community has made a few. But the problem is it's very unlikely that you'd have the oomph to get that far. Batman made it because Batman is a juggernaut of popularity. The sucky things are crushed and forgotten or amusing distractions. (Chill Mr Freeze, Chill.) but a single bad release could ave crippled Keen as a series forever. He just doesn't have the stamina to withstand a massive commercial flop.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I thought Jazz Jackrabbit 3D was decent, of the alpha I played of it. The parts that sucked (which I can't really remember) are things that probably would be ironed out if it made it to final. But that's the thing, being a quality product, it didn't make it to final, but Bubsy 3D was pushed out as quickly as they could with no time for testing, so it got to be released to the world.

My overall feeling of Jazz 3D is it's third person Duke Nukem done right.

I like imagining the alternate universe where Keen is as omnipresent as Sonic. We'd have the official TUIT and beyond; Mortimer would have failed attempts of destruction in The Multiverse is History, the Metaverse is Totalled, and Everything is Doomed! We'd even have side games like the 11 dimensions are in danger, so long String Theory! It will reach the point where Mortimer is a complete solophist in an existence that is only his own mind. Keen will have gone through terrible character redesigs and jumped the shark multiple times; we'll have Keen's equivalent of Sonic 2006! And he'd keep coming back with Keen Unleashed, Keen and the Secret Rings, etc.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Levellass wrote:Batman made it because Batman is a juggernaut of popularity. The sucky things are crushed and forgotten or amusing distractions. (Chill Mr Freeze, Chill.) but a single bad release could ave crippled Keen as a series forever. He just doesn't have the stamina to withstand a massive commercial flop.
I can definitely agree with that, good point.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:he'd keep coming back with Keen Unleashed, Keen and the Secret Rings, etc.
LOL, just the idea of a "Were-Keen" sounds awesome :lol
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Lava89 wrote:Arkham Asylum of Commander Keen games
Hmmm...

Just imagining Keen turning into a 3D stealth game gave me some laughs, someone should try this with a mod. (Yes, I know what you meant)

Keen returns to the interstellar prison to check on his nemesis who was finally caught. Upon arrival, He discovers that Mortimer let himself be captured to infiltrate the prison and gain allies.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

haha, well I've always wanted to see stealth for a game like Keen 2, since it's sometimes easier to just sneak past the super vorts.