OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Para, not funny at all. You saw my comment on this thread and still went and pissed all over the spam deletion task.
T-Squared wrote:YAY! MORE STUFF I DON'T CARE ABOUT! :D
I don't care about your 13 year old level all-caps replies to spam. Your contribution actually had less of a purpose than the spam itself. Seriously. I mean, what was the point of your reply?

DO NOT RESPOND TO SPAM. This has been the advice on this forum for YEARS.

If you MUST respond to spam, if your comment really is THAT witty, quote it here (but strip out the links first) and reply.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Nah, I think I'm going to go figure out how to write a spambot and make it reply to it's own topics instead.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

New feature for the Hypothetical Spam-Toasting Bot: hand out 2-day bans to anybody who already replied to the spam thread. :P Though seriously, a bot would almost certainly deal with it before anybody bothered to reply.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Sorry bout that KP

@Fleex
The only problem I see is false positives, but iirc doesn't KP (et al moderators) not have access to install any sort of anti spambot?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

No worries MD, I guess everyone assumes this forum would have that relatively basic functionality. Also, T-Squared, I was a bit harsh earlier - I shouldn't comment while tired and at work and you might not have seen this thread. Sorry about my choice of words.

Fleex, would you be able to keep the bot on a leash and only sweep the forum every half hour to save on server load? Or would it be light enough to be inconsequential? And could you also tie it to an IRC bot so people can prove they're human with an IRC message instead of messaging a mod? :P

MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Anyone seen Google's "Deep Dream" yet? For those who haven't, it runs pictures through image recognition and then modifies the original to look more like what pattern it matched (afaik anyway...)
Here's an example:

Thanks to using google search pictures as patterns to recognize, it seems to have an obsession with eyes and dogs... also LSD apparently :stoned
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Keening_Product wrote:Fleex, would you be able to keep the bot on a leash and only sweep the forum every half hour to save on server load? Or would it be light enough to be inconsequential? And could you also tie it to an IRC bot so people can prove they're human with an IRC message instead of messaging a mod? :P
It could certainly be rate-limited. I don't think even a 10 minute poll interval would hit the server too hard; it would never fetch images or even the stylesheet, only the thread list for each of the forums and the first page of any new threads. And yes, I think an IRC interface would be doable.

If you and the other forum managers think such a bot would be worthwhile, I'm fairly certain I could build it. (The only resources it would need would be a moderator login and a server that can run .NET code.) I could create a thread for us to work out the specific details of how it would work, if you'd like.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

That's a question for Tulip, Ceilick and adurdin - I'm just the janitor.

I think functionality like member approval and so on would be good, but the IRC comment was a little silly as few people use it. It could allow us to do away with the security question altogether though - instant approval and a bot to kill off the nasties that come in.

If you're given as much server access as that though you might as well just update phpBB.

Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

If you're given as much server access as that though you might as well just update phpBB.
Basically this. If we had a 'working' forum there wouldn't be any need, I imagine. Although Keenbot/Android Dummy would be cool :mort2

Also, KP, it's deffo possible to delete the first post in a thread to remove the whole thing, but perhaps there's some difference in moderating powers preventing you from doing so. I'll investigate.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Ceilick wrote:Keenbot/Android Dummy would be cool :mort2
:mortlol "My plan for total PCKF domination is coming to fruition!"

But yes, defs.

Oh, there is? What buttons do you press? I'll see if they're available to me. I haven't spotted anything other than the single post deletion button next to the ip and edit buttons though.

Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Ok, so It's not the first post, but there's a button in the bottom left after the final post, beneath "watch this topic for replies", next to options like lock and split, etc.

If it's not there, it's admin exclusive, and I don't see any obvious way of adding that permission to moderators.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Okay wow, I've never spotted those before. Thanks Ceilick!

Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Keening_Product wrote:Para, not funny at all. You saw my comment on this thread and still went and pissed all over the spam deletion task.
It's because I'm secretly envious of your mod status.

If people gave me more responsibility and opportunities around here, not to mention some respect, I wouldn't misbehave so much.

I'm tired of everyone treating me like a troll. :( :( :(

(Can I be mod now?)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

I'm not a moderator of wisdom, I'm just the janitor. The hand pyramid represents "stop spam;" that is my domain.

joe-ilya
Vortininja

Post by joe-ilya »

Image Joe-ilya hesitantly crosses into the Pyramid of the Forbidden
Me and omer made a rainbow dash HUD for doom, for our mistake most of the doomers are anti-bronies. Image