OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Yes, it's great for math stuff, but given that there are no side effects in function calls by default makes it rather difficult to write user interfaces in Haskell. Just imagine having a MouseDown() or KeyHit() function that returns the exact same result every time you call it with the same arguments. :bloody

I know there are ways to get past that, but I don't remember much of it. Something involving modals.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Can I just throw this out here:
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

I'll take six of each.
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I'll totally buy a "huh3" shirt, I need me some huge mouth keen devouring everything on my shirt
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Re:

Post by Keening_Product »

keenmaster486 wrote:I bought a couple of nice vintage buckling spring mechanical keyboards several weeks ago. I plan to use them with my various upcoming retro PC builds :evil
Here's another project you might enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjh7zAuaw-0

RE: that mechanical keyboard discussion

I ended up with a Logitech G610 Orion Brown which I found heavily discounted locally. I don't need any of the fancy stuff more advanced boards have. It's fun to type with, but I'm certainly still getting used to it. My girlfriend used it for the first time today to work on a document and said her typing speed was noticeably improved when using it. She probably remembered me mentioning that mech keyboard selling point a while ago, but I didn't ask what it was like to use today so the board must have been noticeably different.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I was actually looking at a Logitech; it's on the fairly cheap - okay, really cheap - end but I've always had decent luck with them. Should I give it a go? (I'll have to go look up the model number...)
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Logitech is fine if you don't intend to change keycaps (which most typical users don't)

Avoid the Romer-G switches, though. Make sure it's got Cherry MX or Gaterons.

(This is all assuming you want a mechanical... :p )
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I don't intend to, no. And yes, I do want mechanical. Me like clicky clicky.

I think it was this one (chosen specifically because I can actually find it at stores here - because shippiiiiiing) but that doesn't say what switches it's got...hm.

Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

That one's actually not a mechanical. AFAIK Logitech mechs are the G610 and higher. To be honest Logitech isn't anywhere close to cheap. :P

So you want clicky, hmm. What's your budget? Do you need a full-size keyboard or could you do without a numpad or even a small 60% layout?
And what's the problem with shipping? :)
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Huh. Because the box clearly said it was a mechanical. Lies, Logitech, lies.

I could also have the wrong model number.

Uh...budget? What is money? :P (That is the problem with shipping. Shipping things to the middle of farm country isn't exactly cheap.) Nah, I kid - I could probably go to ~$125? That's pretty much the upper range though and requires me pulling from savings... And I do need a full-sized keyboard; some of my games require the numpad, don't ask me WHY but they do. Crazy things.

Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Well, with $125 you can do a lot of things!

If you truly want to go the CLICK CLICK CLICK I CAN'T HEAR YA route, you can actually get a real IB- uh, I mean, Unicomp Model M! Just like old times! Ask Moff if you'd like to hear from someone experienced with it. I think he's super happy with his. :) It costs $90 or maybe even less, so you should be able to afford the shipping no problem. Comes with unsmudgeable high quality keycaps and switches that are more 80s than Knight Rider.

If you don't want to go all the way with the buckling springs, check out this Ducky: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=2167
Has MX Green switches which are clicky and pretty stiff. Feels great if you have a heavy hand but don't want the full-on typewriter experience. It has very nice PBT keycaps as well.

If you don't want stiff at all, here's the same keyboard with MX Blues: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=1685
(or if you liked the gray/blue one better: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/in ... ail&p=1556 )
They're clicky just like the Greens but an over 25% lighter keypress. This one also has PBT keycaps. I might seem pushy about this, but I think that any kind of pre-installed PBT caps is a good deal for just $10 extra. They feel much better on the fingers, don't suffer as much from discoloration and don't get greasy as easily. Buying new keycaps separately can get very expensive, so it's best to just get a keyboard with good ones right away if possible.

There are more options out there of course, those are just what I remembered off the top of my head. You can't go wrong with any of these. Duckys are awesome.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Schweet, I'll check these out.

I do type VERY hard. Keyboards...don't last long around me. *stares at current keyboard* That's partly why I want to go mechanical; they're much more resistant to Pound The Keys Like They're Dying wear and tear. But yes, me like clicky.

I...I want one that lights up. ;; *shot*

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

One of the points of browns and blues is not bottoming the keys out - the actuation point is supposed to be your trigger to lift your finger. Obviously you can type however you like, but you shouldn't be breaking a standard keyboard every year unless it's an especially awful model.

US$125 is indeed a comfortable budget. My bricks-and-mortar Logitech purchase cost considerably less than that, and that's despite the Australia tax.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Very true, I love my new clickety.
Looking at build quality, there are a few small things I have issue with (Ex: some light edge around the keys from manufacturing that wasn't trimmed) if you're going for a new model M, stay away from the expensive gadgety ones unless there's a deal. You're not getting that much more for the higher price tag compared to their base models (base ones are about $80 USD iirc). Overall though, it feels solid and I'm not really worried about bumping it on things.

Sadly, no backlight (but you knew that when you heard model m, right?)
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Keening_Product wrote:Obviously you can type however you like, but you shouldn't be breaking a standard keyboard every year unless it's an especially awful model.
Yeah, this point I should probably make it a point to clarify first. :P Part of my disability is that I have no fine motor control; I literally can't type without ramming my fingers into the keys. I have poked at mechanicals and they seem to cause less typing strain on my hands which I suspect means it helps me type a bit less forcefully.