OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Commander Spleen wrote:halp i am posting in this topic
fucl
You've been drinking too much lately?
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I need to get more posts than levellass! :celtic
tbh, I hate getting my postcount up. Even just replying or posting something I want to share gets me higher :smokin2
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Grand Moff, you really gotta slow down. We're supposed to be tag-team champions. Gots to look out for each other. Stick together. You're leaving me behind. >:
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

troublesomekeen wrote:Grand Moff, you really gotta slow down. We're supposed to be tag-team champions. Gots to look out for each other. Stick together. You're leaving me behind. >:
Well... you post more constructively anyway, each of you posts is worth about 3.14 of mine
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

MoffD wrote:Well... you post more constructively anyway, each of you posts is worth about 3.14 of mine
Rubbish, old chap. That's merely a ruse.
Speaking of ruses, there's bit a bit of progress in the Character Extention NetKeen Pack! http://youtu.be/CB3CBf4PNwo
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Nice work, TSK. Wasn't expecting to find some cool Keening progress in this thread.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Keening_Product wrote:Nice work, TSK. Wasn't expecting to find some cool Keening progress in this thread.
I know... It should almost be off-limits here.

However! I was wondering about something, and I would like the opinion of all the members of the board. As you know, I'm trying to complete the sprite set for a Keen-sized Robo Red. The original Robo Red has about 2 frames. The lack of animation may or may not add to his ominous persona. That frozen frown, those unchanging gritting white teeth is what gives Robo Red his character.

Now consider his appearance in NetKeen (which may not even be a good idea in the first place). That's 85 unique frames for one character. That's...so much more than 2 frames. So my question is, how would you like to see Robo Red animate? Should he be stoically robotic in every action? Always angry, staying true to his original form?

Or should I take as much creative liberties with Robo Red as possible? (Or rather, to the best of my ability.) In my opinion, we haven't seen all the sides of Robo Red. That scary face is just a mask; that iron grimace, a facade. I intend to reveal the true character of Robo Red. One might liken him to Major Stryker: http://youtu.be/LAIyRX8rzrk
Cocky in Easy Mode, fearless on Normal Mode, but terrified of Hard Mode.
Robo also seems to be afraid of heights. Even though he hovers, he doesn't feel safe without terra firma beneath him:
http://youtu.be/ojtqq4IX0RI
Sure, Robo is rough and tough, impervious to all attacks, but put him in a NetKeen arena and he trembles in his case:
http://youtu.be/QVyJPVGpn4c

But seriously, whatchu guys think? Would you dislike it if Robo Red had a variety of facial expressions?
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

I've never played NetKeen, but... would it be more interesting to have the full-sized Robo Red as a stage hazard? An unkillable bot moving back and forth, shooting at people as they clamber across poles trying to evade it and kill each other?

Alternatively, if you're going to make a tiny Robo Red player skin, I think that you should take more liberty with the design and make it some kind of alternate "model" of the robot. Robo Red doesn't even have arms or legs... Which seems kind of silly when he's climbing poles and stuff... But maybe that's just me.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'd love to see some more expressions from him! You've already made him more interesting. So yeah. That's cool!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

That video and your second post had me laughing really hard...

I think he's great the way you have him in that clip.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

would it be more interesting to have the full-sized Robo Red as a stage hazard? An unkillable bot moving back and forth, shooting at people as they clamber across poles trying to evade it and kill each other?
That actually sounds really fun.
That frozen frown, those unchanging gritting white teeth is what gives Robo Red his character.
This. Although, in trying to make him interesting, he could gnash his teeth, his head-bolts could bob around, his eye shape could become amorphous, his gun and gun mount could swivel and bend like an arm, his green bottom could emit energy waves for the pogoing, perhaps the tubes on his side could disconnect and behave as tentacle arms, his shoulder nodule (or whatever that thing is) could pop out as a bomb launcher. Lots of stuff to work with and expand on.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Ceilick wrote:
That frozen frown, those unchanging gritting white teeth is what gives Robo Red his character.
This. Although, in trying to make him interesting, he could gnash his teeth, his head-bolts could bob around...
Just in case anyone forgets:
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

If I was to change something, it would be the looking down. It simply doesn't look like he's looking down. Not... natural.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

wiivn wrote:If I was to change something, it would be the looking down. It simply doesn't look like he's looking down. Not... natural.
You're forgetting that there's no 4th wall, so he's bending over the side of the platform to see what's below :p
(yes, gnosticus IV and Fribbulus Xax are made of strips of floating grass and dirt.)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

wiivn wrote:If I was to change something, it would be the looking down. It simply doesn't look like he's looking down. Not... natural.
Never known NetKeen characters to look down. More like a duck or dodge. But I think you're right. I'll have to mess with the bitmap sizes. 20 pixels vertically isn't a lot of space.

In other news today, help. I mean really. I'm going over the deep end:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/773 ... eenGBC.png