OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Though, I think what troublesomekeen was referring to was if the Official TUIT was released when it was intended (Christmas '92) And I would imagine that it would be in 3D based on what Tom Hall has said...not to mention the fact that all of id's games after Keen 6 were in 3D and it was right at the start of the 3D craze
hmm, but i dont think Wolf3d or Doom were actual 3d games. they just kinda faked it, which is why they were very limited (especially wolf3d) in what you can do. i dunno how that would have translated into a '3d sidescroller' look. maybe, in the very least, they would have paralax scrolling going on in the backgrounds.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The thing with Wolf3D and ROTT is, the games have a 3D environment to move in but the actual graphics are mostly 2D sprites with few models being used.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Well yeah, I guess I'm using "3D" the most basic sense of being able to move around in all 3-dimensions and the graphics having full depth (not just pseudo depth like Keen 4-6).

Though regardless of whether it used sprites or polygon graphics, 3D was "in" during the early 90's, especially since consoles like the Playstation only came out two years after TUIT was intended to be released and Mario 64 came out only four years after the intended release. Which would make total sense why they would want to go that direction for TUIT.
Last edited by Lava89 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 19:30, edited 2 times in total.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Doom, Wolf3d, FZero, and Mario Kart from that era are all 3D. Heck even Rad Racer and several vector based monochrome DOS games were 3d. 3D as in they portray a direction of depth that scales object sizes based on distance. No they didn't use polygons, but it's still 3D.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Couldn't have said it better myself, guynietoren!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hear hear! Also, let's hear it for Hovertank 3D.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Are 2D games with sprite scaling 3D to some extent? Not trying to be contrary to guynietoren, I actually agree with him.
Wait, what are we talking about?
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Edited because I failed to derail the topic.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Boreas249 wrote:Edited because I failed to derail the topic.
Or did you?
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Paramultart wrote:Are 2D games with sprite scaling 3D to some extent? Not trying to be contrary to guynietoren, I actually agree with him.
Wait, what are we talking about?
Yeah, if the sprites' scaling is meant to simulate depth than yes, it would be 3D. Keen 4-6 was technically 3D in the visual sense, having height width and depth. Just not in moving around in all 3D dimensions (unless you count being able to walk into the houses on Keen 4).

So I guess it would be good to define full 3D...being able to move in all directions of the 3-space.
Paramultart wrote:
Or did you?
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Lava89 wrote: Yeah, if the sprites' scaling is meant to simulate depth than yes, it would be 3D. Keen 4-6 was technically 3D in the visual sense, having height width and depth. Just not in moving around in all 3D dimensions (unless you count being able to walk into the houses on Keen 4).

So I guess it would be good to define full 3D...being able to move in all directions of the 3-space.
I'd say Keen 4-6 are isometric 3D games, but game play is 2D if you exclude walking through doors. Another example of isometric games are the old X-Com games where nothing scales with distance. So a cube is always made up of parallel lines for each dimension.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Lava89 wrote:
Paramultart wrote:
Or did you?
Search your heart. You know it to be true!

Also, I cannot get Aqua Keen 2 to run, it crashes with some kind of weird graphical glitch, I have no clue why or how to fix it... but it makes me sad. Very sad...

I want a hug now. :(

Edited for great justice.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I want to draw awesome graphics like in Keen 5 but... I don't even have a bloody idea how to do these red alarm lights. This is not gonna end well.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

What you might want are video game resource sites. There's a lot out there with PD sprites for everything, at least to get you started.

I'd say Keen 4-6 are isometric 3D games, but game play is 2D if you exclude walking through doors. Another example of isometric games are the old X-Com games where nothing scales with distance. So a cube is always made up of parallel lines for each dimension.
After months of trying to hammer a true 3D gameplay into Keen 4, I must agree, Keen 4's default gameplay is very 2D.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

Finally got Aqua Keen 2 running.

First thing I love about this mod: World map music is Kashmir. :D