OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

StupidBunny wrote:Wouldn't it either freeze or boil in a vacuum, depending on the temperature? I don't think water can exist as a liquid below a certain pressure.
You're right about the pressure, I think. I think it would freeze. Objects in a true vacuum can only obtain heat through radiation and conduction, so it probably would not stay above 0 C.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

StupidBunny wrote:Wouldn't it either freeze or boil in a vacuum, depending on the temperature? I don't think water can exist as a liquid below a certain pressure.
From what I'm aware, water would boil in a vacuum in it's liquid state. Then freeze directly to a solid after the temperature is lost to the vacuum.

... or perhaps it's the heat that's lost, since a vacuum doesn't have temperature as there's no molecules to measure.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

RoboBlue wrote:
KeenEmpire wrote:It's like that Asimov quote: "When people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Since when is the earth not spherical?
Even if spherical meant what you're implying it means, it would still be "wrong" in the sense that all physics is "wrong": we come up with better and better models, and a model that the earth is "sorta shaped like a sphere" really could use improvement.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

DHeadshot wrote:And of course Paramultart's being too modest to include the greatest Keen mod so far, Shmaynoria (link seems to have been removed from KeenWiki, so you'll have to scout through the boards to find it Sad ).
I would actually prefer that mod be swept under the rug in order to allow people to view my upcoming mods, which actually showcase my abilities, with an open mind. It was funny to gloat about Shmaynoria at first, but now that I'm doing serious projects, I feel like it's just kind of there to come back and haunt me.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Paramultart wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:And of course Paramultart's being too modest to include the greatest Keen mod so far, Shmaynoria (link seems to have been removed from KeenWiki, so you'll have to scout through the boards to find it Sad ).
I would actually prefer that mod be swept under the rug in order to allow people to view my upcoming mods, which actually showcase my abilities, with an open mind. It was funny to gloat about Shmaynoria at first, but now that I'm doing serious projects, I feel like it's just kind of there to come back and haunt me.
But Shmaynoria is a great mod :( ...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

StupidBunny wrote:
ARGH THEY MADE KEENS SKIN PEACH COLOR AND ITS ALL 3D AND $#1+ NOW GAH WTF Y THEY RUIN KEEN

...would of course be an unfair generalization
That's downright hilarious! And very true of most fanbases.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Lava89 wrote:
StupidBunny wrote:
ARGH THEY MADE KEENS SKIN PEACH COLOR AND ITS ALL 3D AND $#1+ NOW GAH WTF Y THEY RUIN KEEN

...would of course be an unfair generalization
That's downright hilarious! And very true of most fanbases.
Hence the reaction to Keen GBC...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Lava89 wrote:That's downright hilarious! And very true of most fanbases.
Oh come on. Keen is Caucasian, but he isn't a corpse and definitely doesn't sparkle. My Keen art keeps him pure white only when I stick to the EGA color scheme.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I'm not sure what the problem is with what I said? :confused
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Lava89 wrote:I'm not sure what the problem is with what I said? :confused
Oh sorry. Meant to quote the topic, not your comment to that topic. What you said was fine in my opinion. Each fan base has their purists. Like folks that will only play the original free PC version of Cavestory and cringe when Balrog says "Oh Yeah!" like the Koolaid man.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Ahh ok, yeah. I'm sure there was a very similar reaction when they changed Sonic's eye color and overall design.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

guynietoren wrote:Oh sorry. Meant to quote the topic, not your comment to that topic. What you said was fine in my opinion. Each fan base has their purists. Like folks that will only play the original free PC version of Cavestory and cringe when Balrog says "Oh Yeah!" like the Koolaid man.
Of course you realize that I was making fun of purists when I wrote that...
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

StupidBunny wrote:Of course you realize that I was making fun of purists when I wrote that...
No one realizes anything on the internet. When you understanding this, suddenly 99.9% of the internet make a lot more sense.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

That would make sense.
Too much available content to read means that most if not everyone won't understand the full picture of any topic.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

guynietoren wrote:Like folks that will only play the original free PC version of Cavestory and cringe when Balrog says "Oh Yeah!" like the Koolaid man.
Not going to lie, it was about that point that I investigated whether it would be possible to port the old script files to the new engine. (It is, although it might not be optimal.)
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.