Origins: Your Username

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
StupidBunny
format c:

Origins: Your Username

Post by StupidBunny »

Not finding any relevant thread to its effect, I'm curious where all of you got your usernames from/how you came up with them.

Mine I came up with on a whim for the first Comrade Keen mod years ago (before that, I called myself KeegTech, a rather lame name that I'm still stuck with on YouTube and a handful of other places.) I think I put StupidBunny in as a "placeholder" until I could come up with something better, but for better or for worse it stuck and now I use it everywhere online. At this point I don't think I'd change it even if I could.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

That's really funny, sometimes the best names are the placeholder ones.

I used to go by my initials on the net ( like you, there's a few places where I'm stuck with it, thankfully I made my youtube account later), or it would be a mix between my initials and Blueblur (nickname for Sonic, kind of like your Keen tech name ), back then I wore my Sonic fandom on my sleeves.

But when I wanted to start making games or art on the internet, and wanted to establish a presence on the net, I wanted a new internet nickname to go by, that wasn't connected to any existing intellectual property...and wasn't too personal. So one day I was browsing through my program files folder, and I happened to have Ad-Aware installed, and I saw the company name 'lavasoft", I thought it would make a cool internet name and I've used it ever since.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Paranormal... Multiple Artforms.

I forced myself to come up with this new username in 2007 whenever I realized I didn't have a real internet alias that really stuck.

Before that, it was Wolf3D_Boy.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

The PCKF was my first online identity and so it had something to do with Keen, but I'm not sure why I chose 'Ceilick' in particular. At the time I hadn't even played Keen 6 (although I had read plenty about it). It's been about 10 years since I first gave myself this username and I use it in a few places other than the Keen community, although I have other online names as well.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

many many years ago i went by the username keengamer because keen was all i played

now i go by rorie cuz that is my real name

you can go to my facebook page and become my friend if anyone likes the link in the sig is who i am just tell me your pckf username and i will accept you
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Guynietoren is just a cool boss name from Megaman Legends. Of course only a few of the reaverbots were actually named in game. It's the boss that looks like a train with feet that guards one of the gate keys.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I was 11 and realised I could jam the words "terminally ill" together to reasonable effect. Being 11, I thought this was the coolest moniker ever. Termine Illius was also coined as an actual-name-esque pseudonym as an extension of that.
I did, a few years ago (beginning with K:M, I believe!) attempt to move to Draik, but a little later I fell back in with an older community which identified me as TerminILL/Termine Illius and it felt weird maintaining two separate online identities, so I moved back to the TerminILL name. I've since learned that there's some low-to-moderately famous music producer (i.e. "tool who mixes other people's tracks and claims credit") who goes by Terminill (note capitalization), but w/e. (A cursory google of "Draik" reveals it's a kind of Neopet, a fact I did not know. Dodged a bullet, I guess.)
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

mine originates from Worms 1, where one of the default names was Tulip. I liked it so I kept it and renamed all the other worms of my team (Odie, Gonzo, Beart were the others if you're interested). After a while I started naming myself tulip in games where you could choose your name (except zelda, because there it had to be a 4 letter word (intended), so I called myself Wuzl there)
After a while it kinda made it to a full time alias. the end.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
ALMN
Vortininja

Post by ALMN »

I was 10, playing earthbound on the SNES, and it came to the part to put my name in. I pushed buttons and got ALMN.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

ALMN wrote:I was 10, playing earthbound on the SNES, and it came to the part to put my name in. I pushed buttons and got ALMN.
I think we have a winner here.
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

Bablet was the 'It' name my parents gave me before I was born, since they decided against an ultrasound. Mom's first words to me were "Bablet, you're a girl!"

I'd been told the story later in life, and thought Bablet was too neat a name to let slide into the dusts of forgotten time, so I use it as my handel. Now, when people say "Bablet, you're a girl?!" I can say "That's why my mom said :P"
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Mine was a placeholder name. The first forum I frequented was Newgrounds, around 5th grade or so. After I deleted my first account, I needed a new handle. So, I picked two things that interested me - namely, cats and hacking (as it pertains to wizardry and not security exploitation). The former will most likely be related to my future career, and in the latter I am not well practiced even today.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

hadn't even played Keen 6 (although I had read plenty about it)
hahaha that's me at 11 years old, salivating over screengrabs of Keen6 i printed out on my granny's computer - the idea of that game was just so enticing!

Yeah I figured, Keen is benevolent, my intentions are benevolent. Plus I was studying Romeo and Juliet for my Junior Cert at the time so... ! In hindsight, it's not a very internetlike name, yet i've never regretted it!!
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

I came across 'scilicet" in Latin II and took an immediate liking to it. I can sink my teeth into it, which is useful when I'm mad. It's not a swear word but a contraction of "scire licet."