Buying the rights to Commander Keen.

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Would I actually be willing to donate my time and money into purchasing the rights to Commander Keen?

No. Not really. I don't care enough.
7%
I want to but I'm too lazy and weak!
No votes
I'd much rather not and continue to make mods so I can feel needed.
7%
You've got my attention. I'll think about this.
43%
I don't have money, but I'm game for the campaigning part.
43%

Total votes: 30

-MegaTrip:
Vortininja

Buying the rights to Commander Keen.

Post by -MegaTrip: »

Last edited by -MegaTrip: on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:40, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Lol I like your posts.

I think it would have been cool if the poll had an "other" option.

At any rate, I'd rather do nothing. Things are fine as they are, so not having much spare change, I'd rather do nothing. Afterall, things are good right now! Look at all these great mods that have been made! This is above and beyond my dreams. Even if modding stops tomorrow, all the stuff that was made is good enough for another 10-15 years of not having any new keen material. :) Seriously, other fan games are dying or are already dead. But this lives on, so I wouldn't even want to risk taking it into my own hands when it works somehow. :)

I wonder what others think.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I chose the "have no money but may help with campaigning" option because I make no money of my own and wouldn't spend my parents' money on this, but really would be willing to help with figuring out how to get this through if other people can contribute.

Also, when I do start working I may be willing to put money up for this, though I'm not sure when that might be...

This is an intriguing possibility. I wonder how many of the old guard might come back to join in on this if it goes anywhere.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

We should AT LEAST lobby for an individual game to be commissioned/permitted should Tom Hall really want to do it.

EDIT: Owait, that's what we've been doing anyway.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

No one really knows the details on what, exactly, is preventing Tom Hall from getting the rights. People seem to assume it's money.

And to be honest, I'd rather see the rights with someone like Lemm and see Netkeen go big.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

And to be honest, I'd rather see the rights with someone like Lemm and see Netkeen go big.
If I had the rights i'd grant a licence to develop a commercial game to anyone who 'auditioned' successfully e.g. Lemm's netkeen as it currently stands would earn him my permission to continue developing it.

I would not interfere with the ability to mod Keen, just as Id haven't, but i would have to control the commercial side of things. Reasons for this include: a) i'd have shelled out big bucks and don't want to be trampled over in my investment. b) i don't want another keen GBC- esque game produced.

Edit: I re-read the poll and option c intrigued me - "I would like to continue modding so I can feel needed" - as we currently believe strongly, modding is needed to keep the community full of significant events - thus I would like to use the power that comes with the rights to promote mods - build or fund an improved version of existing forums, wiki etc so that perhaps a wider audience could be reached.

The above sounds like hollow election promises; we shall see. I'm a student now (i could contribute at most ten quid) but will soon step onto a professional rung which means a few €€€ will be heading my way.

I enjoyed your article!!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Don't you think comparing not having the Keen rights to beaten housewives is going a little overboard? :crazy

Still, I think it's somewhat feasable. If 80,000 people donated $1, that's not too farfetch'd.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Bablet
Vortininja

Post by Bablet »

Ceilick wrote:No one really knows the details on what, exactly, is preventing Tom Hall from getting the rights. People seem to assume it's money.
I have a joke conspiracy theory where Mortimer's paying everyone off to keep the series inactive, thus frozen in time, which prevents him from dying at the end.

...Yeah, I'm gonna go back to bed now. Been up since 430somethingam. :dopefish
I am the only,
I am the lonely,
I am the sole soul fish.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Ceilick wrote:No one really knows the details on what, exactly, is preventing Tom Hall from getting the rights. People seem to assume it's money.
Good point....maybe, if nothing else, we could investigate into what exactly is stopping the rights from going to Tom Hall.

Just for information's sake, even if we can't do anything it or want to.
-MegaTrip:
Vortininja

Last edited by -MegaTrip: on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:39, edited 1 time in total.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

:lol

Says everyone
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Ok, megatrip, I get what people are saying about your posts now. You take things way too seriously. The first half of your two posts here are sensible and ambitions, but then you start rambling off getting poetic and depressing because of a video game.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
-MegaTrip:
Vortininja

StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

-MegaTrip: wrote:If the forum wants to let this die off, what more can I do?
I did my best.
Who said the forum is ignoring your thread? There haven't been that many active users online in the last week to begin with. Notice how relatively few any of the Keen Day releases have gotten so far for instance. Stay calm, take up a non-melodramatic leadership role, and don't expect things to move too quickly. Otherwise you run the risk of scaring people away and not being taken seriously.
-MegaTrip:
Vortininja