Pizza discussion Cost or Quality?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Pizza discussion Cost or Quality?

Post by Rorie »

ok everyone loves thier pizza. many choose to go for franchised companies such as Pizza Hut, Dominos cuz of the price which is most cases works out cheaper than an Indpendent Operator. in my opinon i cannot stand the hut or Dominos, well ok i used to love them but that was until they stopped making there bases on the premesis and the 2 big pizza companies that i have already talked about delibartely shrunk the size of the large pizza to compete with each other. i have sinced devolped a habit of supporting the smaller guys

You go to an independent you get what you pay for. size quality and a fresh pizza surely you pay more but it is money well spent. problem is that some people cannot afford quality so they go for Pizza Hut or Dominos

What is your opinon on this debate about pizza?
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Pizza is certainly better from the independent places where I'm from.
A lot of the commercial places do the very gimicky desserts etc. AAnd that really puts me off. :foot
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Bubbatom wrote:Pizza is certainly better from the independent places where I'm from.
A lot of the commercial places do the very gimicky desserts etc. AAnd that really puts me off. :foot
beauty! an australian is the 1st to post in my thread. seriously across geelong and it's surrondings there are many independent pizza stores i love enzo's in geelong west pakington best. they are expensive but as i said the base is made fresh to order and you pay for that quality knowing you receive a better product
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Pizza Hut is good if you're in the restaurant. Most franchises are pretty low quality these days.

Local independent outlets is where it's at. Though even then there are cases where the quality and/or service is very poor, so visiting a new place can be very hit or miss. And if you're getting them delivered, independent can be very expensive compared with a franchise...

I prefer to support locals anyway, so I'll pay the extra expense for good quality and karma.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Where I live these are two pairs of shoes.

Restaurant franchises: Pizza Hut is the only one really. Nowhere else do I get a cheezy crust, that's why I go there. American Pizza Style

Delivery franchises: Joey's, Apple and the like do american style pizza, with a variety of toppings, for example: sauce hollandaise, asparagus and roast beef (yum). Otherwise similar taste to Pizza Hut, also similar prices

Independent Restaurants: Italians usually. Way overpriced, very thin pizza, not much on it, and usually the only choice is Margherita, Salami or Prosciutto

Independent Fast Food: Turkish mostly, sometimes pakistani or indians. This is my choice when I want non american pizza. Usually huge pizzas that are very tasty and a bargain. The variety is mostly as small as with italian pizza places, but you can get Sucuk pizza there, which is my favourite, together with hawaii, depending on my mood.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Pizza Hut (and every other fast food franchise) serves oily garbage. Frozen supermarket pizzas are about half the price and taste exactly the same, plus you can top them and bake them yourself.

The small restaurants operated by professional Mediterranean peoples make far fresher tasting pizza. It's more expensive, but worth it in my opinion if you actually want a good meal.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Tulip, as you live in Deutscheland you should consider ALDI's pizza, it's decent.

Anyway, in ireland we're privleged to have this chain called Mizzoni's, and an american one called Dominos!

But we all know where the best pizza comes from:
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

All of the independent pizza outlets I've seen are founded and named after one of the mario bros. or ninja turtles.

I heard that one of the ninja turtles movies was sponsored by dominos, but they eat pizza hut pizza in it.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I get Round Table.....because its the last honest pizza.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

I don't eat pizza that much anymore as I'm working to cut it out of my diet (I guess that might be blasphemy around here, no?)

But if I do pig out on it, I usually get Pizza World (they're mostly a Midwest US chain) mostly because you can't beat $5.50 for a large 1top. And they have a respectable list of topings there that many other places dont have.

or Pantera's. Theyre a great St Louis chain that serves non-St Louis Style pizza (fucl that thin crust and provel cheese). They've got some good pizza that's quite good. And I also await the obvious jokes about the name.

Or for sit-in pizza, Pi is by far some of the best in St Louis. They use a cornmeal based crust and have amazing topings, and all the vegetables are fresh as you can find
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Pizza places are much like fast food where the "chef" is someone who's unable to get a job elsewhere.

My pick is a pizza shop that isn't part of a franchise.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I find that it's faster, cheaper, easier, and tastier to just make my own pizza from store-bought ingredients. I use a Boboli pizza crust, a local brand of vodka sauce, and store-bought skim mozzarella (polly-o works pretty well).

As far as restaurants go, the best places are always independent, but most independent stores don't seem much better than papa johns/dominos/pizza hut. Those three are all similar in terms of quality, but dominos has a lot of coupons that are convenient for online ordering.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

^

Forgot to mention that. A clay wood-fired dome oven is where it's at for reeeeeeeeal pizza.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

This is interesting. I usually like pizza without sauce. Or, if there is sauce, that there is very very little sauce.

So, with that in mind I do not mind the cheapest pizza... around here it is 5 dollars, at a chain called Little Caesars. But, meh, I don't go there often... but come on, that price is pretty good. The next level up is a 10-12 dollar pizza, at some place like Dominos, PapaJohns, Pizza Hut, etc... but meh why pay extra I figure. Then there are some small places that are like 16-20ish dollars. For that price one may as well make their pizza at home.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I love little ceasars! I have childhood fondness of that place like big fat guys do for mcdonalds :love
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass