Physical Activity

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Paramultart wrote:Football (hand-egg)
It's a stone, eggface! You didn't make it :p
Rorie wrote:given up certain foods such as mcdonalds (i will not touch it when there are better quality burgers and chips out there and i can afford to pay $20 at a cafe for a better quality hamburger)
If you're dieting, you shouldn't be eating burgurs and chips period. Doesn't matter if it's from mcdonald's or elsewhere, they're all salty sinks full of calories.
sorry vbb i should have said that i do not eat burgers all the time i only occasional and yet i am still able to lose weight. i should also say that i like big meaty burgers that is why i pay for quality rather than price and you do not get that from franchised burger joints such as mcdonalds or burger king (except for australia which we call hungry jacks)
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I jumped right from "Obese" to "Normal", skipping "Overweight" on my BMI in just a few months by cutting cholesterol, saturated fats, and sodium out of my diet. When you start looking out for these things, you realize there is very little food that is actually safe to eat. I recommend you cut meat and fried foods out of your diet, Rorie, at least until you get to your desired weight.

(I was 265lbs sometime last year... now I'm 180lbs, aiming for 157lbs... That's 120kg to 81kg, aiming for 71kg... I'm six feet tall... 1.82m)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

I run cross country for my college (also ran in high school). During the off-season, I try to keep up running as much as possible...usually with mixed results. I enjoy biking too and will be doing a 200 mile race with my dad this summer (the STP, you know what I'm talking about Ceilick, I'm sure). Other than that, I love playing pretty much any sport when given the opportunity...basketball, baseball, ultimate frisbee, football, soccer, etc.
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Paramultart wrote:I jumped right from "Obese" to "Normal", skipping "Overweight" on my BMI in just a few months by cutting cholesterol, saturated fats, and sodium out of my diet. When you start looking out for these things, you realize there is very little food that is actually safe to eat. I recommend you cut meat and fried foods out of your diet, Rorie, at least until you get to your desired weight.

(I was 265lbs sometime last year... now I'm 180lbs, aiming for 157lbs... That's 120kg to 81kg, aiming for 71kg... I'm six feet tall... 1.82m)
thank you for your advice but it is rarely like once in a blue moon that i will get something fried. as of for meat i need the iron and i am not willing to go vego as i have seen friends try it and fail besides i love eating meat. i only have 13kg more to go and it is no race to lose it all quickly my health has not taken a serious turn yet since i lost 21.5kg in almost 1 year. in fact my health is improving so i am in no hurry to lose the remaning weight quickly
Up yours Fleexy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I enjoy biking too and will be doing a 200 mile race with my dad this summer (the STP, you know what I'm talking about Ceilick, I'm sure)
Nice man, I wish I had that kind of endurance. My little ride tends to be more leisurely, or at least until I get a new bike. I currently ride my dad's old bike from the 70s. Weighs about 90 pounds on it's own :lol
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Commander Spleen wrote:Fortunately my metabolism doesn't require as much exercise to maintain a low weight, but I'm pretty sure less exercise doesn't help my energy levels.
I had a couple of weeks of less exercise, more fatty foods and terribad sleeping patterns and went from 69 to 66kg. I'm something like 194cm - I think that shows what metabolism can do for you!
As for energy? At least one 48 hour day in that time.
What exercise have people found has been most effective at either burning fat or gaining muscle?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

I used to swim and play water polo and soccer, and I used to bike around town to get places when the weather was warm.

Then I joined this forum and, out of pure coincidence, all of that activity ceased.
-MegaTrip:
Vortininja

Post by -MegaTrip: »

Last edited by -MegaTrip: on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:37, edited 1 time in total.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Keening_Product wrote: What exercise have people found has been most effective at either burning fat or gaining muscle?
For fat burning, I heard swimming was the best workout for the obese.
(Not that you would ever have that problem)
It's also a good full body workout and puts less stress on your body than any other activity. However, regular chlorine and other pool chemicals exposure is unhealthy, and swimming in a lake has risks of its own.

I don't know much about body building, so I'm not going to pretend to be knowledgeable in that area. I have a friend who when from a flabby little nerd to hulk status in just a few years by doing all sorts of workouts, but he kind of "cheats" by using protein and creatine supplements, which I would be weary of and not advise.

I'm going to start working out with my fencing partner, so I'll try to post anything I learn here.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Keening_Product wrote: What exercise have people found has been most effective at either burning fat or gaining muscle?
Best exercises for gaining muscle:

*NOTE* Do all of these on free weights. No Smith machines or other machines.

Bench press
Military press
Bent over rows
Squats
Deadlifts
Standing Curls/Preacher Curls
French press/skull-crusher

Those should get you started. Dont be afraid to ask for help at the gym if you need a spotter or someone to help check your form.

The other advice I can give is base your workouts around related muscle groups:

Back + Biceps
Chest + Triceps
Shoulders/Legs

And for the love of all that is holy DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR LEG WORKOUTS.
Paramultart wrote:[
I don't know much about body building, so I'm not going to pretend to be knowledgeable in that area. I have a friend who when from a flabby little nerd to hulk status in just a few years by doing all sorts of workouts, but he kind of "cheats" by using protein and creatine supplements, which I would be weary of and not advise.
I wouldn't use supplements if you're first starting out. Get used to do the exercises and it's effect on your body. Then if you want to *try* a supplement, start by trying out whey protein supplements -- whey isolate if you're willing to spend a little extra. The whey isolate assimilates into your body better, especially if taken within 1 hour of finishing your workout.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

While we're including the topic of nutrition in this thread, I would like to recommend everyone watch this 90 minute food documentary, which is free to watch for the next 48 hours.

http://www.hungryforchange.tv/
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

i must admit about when watching super size me at the time it did nothing to change my eating habits or neither did i stop eating mcdonalds i have now i am dammed well glad i did so. i still own the dvd as i brought because it was funny and showed a serious side to fast food for which at the time america was the fattest nation in the world america is now 2nd and australia is number 1 if i am correct?
Up yours Fleexy!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

The documentary covers a broader issue than just McDonald's.
I don't think Australia is #1 in obesity... that just doesn't make sense. The list I checked said Australia ranks #6, with the US at #1.

One of the speakers in the video I posted is Australian. I watched his documentary as well, where he went around the US trying to convince people to eat healthy. He has a pretty cool story.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Paramultart wrote:The documentary covers a broader issue than just McDonald's.
I don't think Australia is #1 in obesity... that just doesn't make sense. The list I checked said Australia ranks #6, with the US at #1.

One of the speakers in the video I posted is Australian. I watched his documentary as well, where he went around the US trying to convince people to eat healthy. He has a pretty cool story.
i may already said this but when i visited the states back in may of last year (hawaii) in the aiports on the islands of oahu and kauai there were no healthy option whatsoever all there ever was was starbucks burger king etc. i could not even get like a nice cold fresh healthy yoghurt or a bowl of cereal. on my last day in the state. for brekky had fried spam and noodles and a white hot chocolate. boy did i feel like crap after that sugary and fatty meal but thankfully a sleep on the plane fixed that
Up yours Fleexy!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

If you want to burn fat, aerobic exercises like swimming, biking, running, hiking, and so on are what you should do. An hour per day at a leisurely pace is more than enough.

Consume fewer calories than you expend. Eat high fiber foods with lots of water (i.e, vegetable matter and whole grains) because they fill you up, but have fewer calories that can be metabolized than fatty foods.

It's really that simple.