Close Encounters

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Close Encounters

Post by Bubbatom »

Thought I'd bring this up because it's all very interesting.

I myself have never had a close encounter of any kind, but my grandma would occasionally bring up a few of her own. She and my grandpa live in the country side 30 minutes from Mt. Gambier, South Australia on a farm. The first story she told was when she was younger. She had just dropped her mother (my great-grandma) off at her place about half a kilometre away from the farm. On the way back to the farm via a dirt road nanna saw a 'blurry blue light' on the hill in the middle of the road. As she neared she could see 'little black dots' moving around in the bottom of the object. As she came even closer the blue object vanished.
She also told of blue balls of light drifting across the sky on some occasions while sitting on the porch.
She told my cousins about seeing 'blue movement' behind the shed at night. Nanna went inside to fetch pa to come and have a look but the light had again vanished.
All kind of creepy.

Discuss your thoughts and your own close encounters. :dopefish
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Athmospheric phenomena can appear hallucinogenic/alien. But most if not all of them have been explained. Thus, I do not believe in "close encounters", Area 51 or anything about alien lifeform appearing near Earth. I do not, however, question the existence of extraterrestrial life.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

No encounters myself, but I do enjoy reading about them as well as similar phenomena involving cryptids and other things. Very interesting in terms of events and human psychology.

Personally I feel no need to believe or disbelieve such things, just merely be fascinated with them.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

My buddy's Aunt lives in the outback, and she told a story of how a strange blue ball appeared outside, melted through a window to come inside, chased her around the kitchen, chased her outside, and then exploded a nearby cow. I would guess that what his aunt and your grandma saw was just some (extremely rare) ball lightning, which in it's own way is supernatural.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

ball lightning needs to be a pokemon move.

they even have ICE ball, for feaking sake!
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I think that's what zap cannon is.

but.
blue balls
lol.

Well, the first time I played Earthbound, I somehow knew the first sound stone melody before it played at the giant step.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

Back when I was a kiddo playing outside with friends, I saw a tiny gray dot in the sky. The distance from the ground was so great, that you almost had to squint your eyes to see it. It was moving at a constant speed, but slower than an airplane moves. My estimate was also that it was a lot smaller than an airplane, something you could hold in your hands, and that it was simply not quite as distant as an airplane, but this is based solely on the fact that I saw it with two eyes, which subconsciously make estimates of the distance of objects. The only thing I know for sure is that it appeared about as big as a mosquito within 5-10 cm distance.

I pointed it out to my friends, who became excited, and we followed it with our eyes until we could no longer. In that time, I took photos of it with my cellphone. I still have them lying around somewhere, tell me if anyone is interested.

I could - and really should, someday - calculate what its distance must've been if it was small enough to hold in your hands (can't be too hard, by basing it on how many times smaller it appeared than an airplane, and the average distance of an airplane). I also should've counted how long it took before it was out of sight, to then get an estimate of its speed. Based on those estimates, I think, with the help an expert, the object could be identified. Until then, the flying object will remain unidentified.

Flaose wrote:I would guess that what his aunt and your grandma saw was just some (extremely rare) ball lightning, which in it's own way is supernatural.
There's a difference between "not subject to laws of nature" and "unexplained". Paranormal is the right term.

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Well, the first time I played Earthbound, I somehow knew the first sound stone melody before it played at the giant step.
I believe that's a deja vu.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

candyjack wrote: I believe that's a deja vu.
A deja vu happens when you've already experienced it.. in another universe.

I've had one of those too, I guess, about an online game.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

i once saw a wiggling star move slowly across the sky, around 6am or so one morning.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I'll say this. You don't know what is in the sky. And I;m not talking aliens here. You literally have no idea what can appear in the sky, at any time.

Here's the sun being awesome, bet you didn't know there were so many types of rainbow: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... s-display/

Here's lenticular clouds, they look like flying saucers (especially if you search google images) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_cloud

Iridium satellites http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_sa ... stellation produce wonderfully bright, but short flares http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_flare Other satellites will blink, flicker or move wildly.

There are clouds that can vanish in seconds, reflections off distant bodies of water entire cityscapes that can refract through air, planes birds, spotlights and more. (Oh, forgot weather balloons.) There is so much incredible out there that I would hesitate to label something a close encounter if it landed on my lawn and demanded to be taken to whichever leader had the biggest share of the vote at present.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

I saw ball lightning once when I was little (late 1990s, I think it was in grade 5). I was walking home from school along a street and some kids came running out of an arcade shop a little behind me, I turned around and saw a white ball of electricity come jumping out the door after them. It was bouncing very fast along the ground, then it made a sharp right angle turn without slowing down and started bouncing directly towards me. I was really shocked so I didn't react or anything, and it was closing the distance REALLY quickly. It suddenly disappeared just before it reached me.

Then I went back home and was told that seeing ball lightning is actually extremely rare, and that the event as I described it was really extremely strange.

I don't think this is supernatural or anything, but it's a really neat unexplained event, because I don't think ball lightning is very well understood to this day. Why did it jump out of an arcade shop? Did it have anything to do with there being a lot of electronic equipment running in there? Why did it bounce along the pavement and make a sudden right angle turn?
Last edited by Snortimer on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:40, edited 1 time in total.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

If there's one thing that shows just how little we understand even about the natural world it's ball lightning. About all we can say for sure is it exists.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Snortimer wrote:I saw ball lightning once when I was little (late 1990s, I think it was in grade 5). I was walking home from school along a street and some kids came running out of an arcade shop a little behind me, I turned around and saw a white ball of electricity come jumping out the door after them. It was bouncing very fast along the ground, then it made a sharp right angle turn without slowing down and started bouncing directly towards me. I was really shocked so I didn't react or anything, and it was closing the distance REALLY quickly. It suddenly disappeared just before it reached me.

Then I went back home and was told that seeing ball lightning is actually extremely rare, and that the event as I described it was really extremely strange.

I don't think this is supernatural or anything, but it's a really neat unexplained event, because I don't think ball lightning is very well understood to this day. Why did it jump out of an arcade shop? Did it have anything to do with their being a lot of electronic equipment running in there? Why did it bounce along the pavement and make a sudden right angle turn?

Are you sure it wasn't just a Shikadi Master chasing after you?
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

lemm wrote:Are you sure it wasn't just a Shikadi Master chasing after you?
Maybe hiding in the arcade shop. ;)
The actual energy ball didn't seem that big, maybe the size of a cupped hand.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

lemm wrote:
Snortimer wrote:...
Are you sure it wasn't just a Shikadi Master chasing after you?
Why would a Shikadi Master chase after him? Now that just doesn't make sense.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image