Tom Hall and John Romero Q/A at G+ Hangout on 2012/06/25

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
User avatar
GolfHacker
Vortininja
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 22:50
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Post by GolfHacker »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
GolfHacker wrote: Actually, I would like to see it released in its original classic engine.
We already have that. It's UTUIT (Keys of Krodacia, Dead in the Desert, Battle of the Brains). That's why a lot of us would rather see an official TUIT with a new engine, giving us something revolutionary that doesn't make UTUIT feel like a pointless effort.
Well, I can't debate your feelings. But in my opinion, UTUIT wouldn't be pointless. It would still be a somewhat different story than the official TUIT, with different scenery, enemies, level designs, and challenges. And it would still be fun to play!
Troy Hepfner, Indie game developer
My Game Company
Creator of Dirk Dashing and Rick Rocket

User avatar
StupidBunny
format c:
Posts: 2116
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 19:19
Location: The Centre of the Moon
Contact:

Post by StupidBunny »

GolfHacker wrote:Well, I can't debate your feelings. But in my opinion, UTUIT wouldn't be pointless. It would still be a somewhat different story than the official TUIT, with different scenery, enemies, level designs, and challenges. And it would still be fun to play!
My thoughts exactly. To say that a TUIT already existed on the Galaxy engine, even in part, makes UTUIT "pointless" would be a discredit to the incredible hard work that went into it. It has an existence and an enjoyability outside of merely being "the unofficial TUIT." Besides that, lots of mods and fangames involve confrontations with Mortimer, sometimes even final.
Image

DukeNukem 2417
Grunt
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 13:27
Location: Planet Earth

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

StupidBunny wrote:
GolfHacker wrote:Well, I can't debate your feelings. But in my opinion, UTUIT wouldn't be pointless. It would still be a somewhat different story than the official TUIT, with different scenery, enemies, level designs, and challenges. And it would still be fun to play!
My thoughts exactly. To say that a TUIT already existed on the Galaxy engine, even in part, makes UTUIT "pointless" would be a discredit to the incredible hard work that went into it. It has an existence and an enjoyability outside of merely being "the unofficial TUIT." Besides that, lots of mods and fangames involve confrontations with Mortimer, sometimes even final.
Seconded. UTUIT is good on its own, but when/if the TUIT source code and engine were ever released, UTUIT could be its own story and possibly get a new title, while TUIT would be...well, TUIT.

UTUIT isn't "pointless" by any stretch of the imagination.
What's the point of growing up if you can't be a little childish sometimes?

User avatar
ckguy
Bipship Engineer
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 17:56
Location: Providence, RI, US
Contact:

Post by ckguy »

This is awesome and I hope these hopes become realities.

User avatar
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime
Posts: 3004
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:36

Post by Paramultart »

ckguy wrote:This is awesome and I hope these hopes become realities.
Why wouldn't they?

It's not like John Romero has ever let us down before!


...

Image


*cough*
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"

User avatar
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:55
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana

Post by Deltamatic »

Although I kind of could have seen the source code thing coming since the news came out a while back that they might have it lying around, it's been so long without this sort of progress that I'd grown to think of there being no form of official activity as The Way Things Are. It's good to know I can be surprised in that area.

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?
Posts: 2137
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:02
Location: Tied up in the Oracle Chamber's basement
Contact:

Post by Keening_Product »

They are either slow in getting it, or building hype in the hope of making a new game.

Probably the former, but please prove me wrong!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass

User avatar
Lava89
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 15:28

Post by Lava89 »

Many thanks Paramultart for posting this! And thanks to whoever asked Tom Hall about Keen TUIT and the sources for the previous games.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:]We already have that. It's UTUIT (Keys of Krodacia, Dead in the Desert, Battle of the Brains). That's why a lot of us would rather see an official TUIT with a new engine, giving us something revolutionary that doesn't make UTUIT feel like a pointless effort.
Who says it wouldn't be a new engine? I remember Tom Hall saying that he wanted to do something like Mario 64 or Pandemonium with TUIT, but they beat him to the punch of having the first mainstream 3D platformer. Not to imagine the fact that the next game they put out was Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM, both of which were 3D. So I imagine TUIT having a pseudo 3D feel to it. Probably something beyond what the Galaxy engine could handle, or at the very most, it was a modified Galaxy engine.

Besides, I can't imagine Tom Hall putting TUIT on the Galaxy engine, otherwise I think they would've churned those games out, instead of shelving them.

User avatar
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime
Posts: 3004
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:36

Post by Paramultart »

Lava89 wrote:Many thanks Paramultart for posting this! And thanks to whoever asked Tom Hall about Keen TUIT and the sources for the previous games.
Thanks, but I am the same person who asked them about the TUIT sources.
I thought you all knew my name was "Ryan" by now.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"

Gridlock
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:20

Post by Gridlock »

So I imagine TUIT having a pseudo 3D feel to it. Probably something beyond what the Galaxy engine could handle, or at the very most, it was a modified Galaxy engine.
Definitely agree that it would be a new engine. From my current modding project I've seen the Galaxy engine pushed to the limit. Because of its limitations, I'm sure this TUIT engine is something completely new. However, I'm bracing for disappointment regarding this engine. It seems obvious that they didn't get very far and didn't consider what they had worth pursuing. Even still, I'm incredibly curious what they did create. Even though it's nearly two decades too late to make a significant cultural impact like Super Mario 64, at least it'll give this community more kindling.

Also, I'm curious what could be done with the Keen sources. I don't expect much in the way of complete transformations (even modding is an insane amount of work), but could this make patching and other changes easier? What limitations have we had by not having the source code?
Image
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086

User avatar
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 0:05

Post by thehackercat »

I'm of the opinion that it would be a new engine.. Basically for the reason that Lava89 said: if they had stuck with the Galaxy engine, there would've been no halt in production.
Gridlock wrote:What limitations have we had by not having the source code?
I don't pretend to be completely knowledgable in the modding department. I do know that we (um.. well, at least people like Lemm and the lass) have had to piece together the way things work by digging into assembly code, which is a terrible way to do things if you mean to get a clear picture of how an engine works as a whole. However, their valiant efforts have certainly provided us with some useful tools and cool stuff (just look at the UTUIT trilogy!). The source code would be much more understandable than the random chunks of memory which have been isolated through trial and error. Plus, it could perhaps even be compiled for modern operating systems.

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?
Posts: 2137
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:02
Location: Tied up in the Oracle Chamber's basement
Contact:

Post by Keening_Product »

thehackercat wrote:
Gridlock wrote:What limitations have we had by not having the source code?
I don't pretend to be completely knowledgable in the modding department. I do know that we (um.. well, at least people like Lemm and the lass) have had to piece together the way things work by digging into assembly code, which is a terrible way to do things if you mean to get a clear picture of how an engine works as a whole. However, their valiant efforts have certainly provided us with some useful tools and cool stuff (just look at the UTUIT trilogy!). The source code would be much more understandable than the random chunks of memory which have been isolated through trial and error. Plus, it could perhaps even be compiled for modern operating systems.
Which also means the Galaxy engine could be expanded beyond what has been managed already?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass

User avatar
GolfHacker
Vortininja
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 22:50
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Post by GolfHacker »

Keening_Product wrote:Which also means the Galaxy engine could be expanded beyond what has been managed already?
Absolutely. If you have the source code, it's relatively easy to add new features, change how things work, etc. Then you can compile it into a brand new executable, and you can compile it to run natively on other operating systems, without the need for emulators like DOSBox.
Troy Hepfner, Indie game developer
My Game Company
Creator of Dirk Dashing and Rick Rocket

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?
Posts: 2137
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:02
Location: Tied up in the Oracle Chamber's basement
Contact:

Post by Keening_Product »

:drool
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass

KeenEmpire
Intellectuality
Posts: 855
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 0:38

Post by KeenEmpire »

I thought we already had an engine (Commander Genius)?
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image

Post Reply