The Obama Thread

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

The Obama Thread

Post by Paramultart »

Hey guys, I wanted to make a thread to show how "in touch" and "relevant" I am, so I thought I'd skim the latest news headlines to see what's hot.

Uhh... Let's see here... Ah yes...

US election is over. President Barack Obama has four more years.

Well, ain't that a pip!
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... an/262814/

Not that that would've changed with either candidate; Ron Paul would probably have been the only one who would've cancelled them.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Oman. Four more years. In times like these, I think Abearica should limit their prezes to one term only. That way they can't do too much harm.
All of my co-workers are Obombs supporters, so....he must be doing something right. How do I find myself in such dread, worrying about these next four years, when I see others across the street jumping for joy? We're in the same boat, guys! Oddsbodkins, I'll be dashed. We won't be able to stop a downward spiral.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

troublesomekeen wrote:Oman. Four more years. In times like these, I think Abearica should limit their prezes to one term only. That way they can't do too much harm.
All of my co-workers are Obombs supporters, so....he must be doing something right. How do I find myself in such dread, worrying about these next four years, when I see others across the street jumping for joy? We're in the same boat, guys! Oddsbodkins, I'll be dashed. We won't be able to stop a downward spiral.
I think that Obama is getting a really bad rep for the last four years, especially considering what he was left with from the Bush administration. I mean, it would be a challenge for ANYONE to become president of one of the most densely populated countries in the world in the middle of what is one of the worst economic crises in history.

However, I'm from Canada and am a little bit removed from the whole system, but damn guys, I'm pretty sure the next PM will be screwed after Harper.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

biffstudly wrote: I think that Obama is getting a really bad rep for the last four years, especially considering what he was left with from the Bush administration. I mean, it would be a challenge for ANYONE to become president of one of the most densely populated countries in the world in the middle of what is one of the worst economic crises in history.
If Obama set out to just tackle Bush's left over debt...I would agree with you....but, I would say Obama has done little to actually try and improve things and in fact has made things worse by increasing spending and starting wars (how was he better than Bush again? haha). He's done more damage to the economy in 4 years than Bush did in 8. At least Clinton was flexible back in 1994 and was willing to work with the Republicans, which got us a nice surplus. Obama is doing the opposite and is instead very rigid in his beliefs. You'd think after his liberal policies didn't work he'd try a more middle of the road approach.
biffstudly wrote:However, I'm from Canada and am a little bit removed from the whole system
Exactly, its different when you gotta live under the guy and hear his condescending speeches everyday, haha.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Lava89 wrote:He's done more damage to the economy in 4 years than Bush did in 8.
..somehow, I don't think he did worse than a trillion in tax cuts and another trillion from invading Iraq.

And, not that it really matters, but the real estate bubble that led to the current recession was also under Bush's watch.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

The debt has increased by four trillion dollars, Iran is four years closer to having a nuclear warhead, and some other Middle Eastern country has one of our highly advanced drones.

Canada is looking pretty good.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Fleexy wrote:The debt has increased by four trillion dollars, Iran is four years closer to having a nuclear warhead, and some other Middle Eastern country has one of our highly advanced drones.

Canada is looking pretty good.
Actually, the chart of who's worse off is pretty interesting.

I don't see why the latter two are anything to worry about. Iran knows that, if they ever used a nuke, they'd be wiped off the map. The drone situation is the more serious one, but again, I don't see why anyone should particularly care.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

"So Obama got reelected last night. Guess what happened to the Dow Jones Industrial Average first thing this morning? It dropped STRAIGHT down. The Dow never does that. It moves in very slow trends."
http://markets.money.cnn.com/services/a ... ?symb=INDU
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Yeah... considering some of the scumbags that control the Dow, it might even be a positive indication. If they're worried - good! (though I don't know why, Obama has taken very good care of them)

One thing I've noticed about Obama is that his general demeanor has gotten more arrogant and cocky over the past 4 years, so he's beginning to sound more and more like Bush. Also, he's beginning to look worn out and unhealthy.

I get the feeling that these are things that the position itself does to the people that hold it.

This Sinfest comic from shortly after he won the 2008 election seems pretty accurate.
KeenEmpire wrote:Actually, the chart of who's worse off is pretty interesting.
Interesting indeed. Change it to display "public debt as % of GDP" (the default setting isn't very relevant) and it appears that Canada is even more screwed than the US. Thanks, Harper!

And Japan seems the most screwed of all at a debt of 222% of GDP. And yet they appear to be doing fine as far as actual on-the-ground quality of life and such, and they've had this level of debt for a really long time - so what exactly is going on there?
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I for one am bitterly disappointed. I was promised a muslim communist candidate, what I got seems to be the usual christian pap. I was promised riots in the streets, unemployment hitting 50%, the collapse of the American dollar and the replacement of the American flag with the UN one.

Four more years? When he can't even deliver on the things I was promised last election campaign? Madness! I for one want a candidate who can *really* screw up the country if elected. For decades now this has been promised by both sides, yet nobody has delivered. Even Italy, ITALY is doing better and totally demolishing their economy. You'd think these people weren't even dedicated to the liberal gay muslim (Or capitalist fundamentalist christian nutjob) agenda and were trying to govern the country as best they could!

With such a lack of commitment, is it any wonder I didn't vote for anyone?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Scilicet
Vortininja

Post by Scilicet »

I think Obama's first term was not that great. Some of the mess can be attributed to Bush, but I feel Obama was not really diligent in the job and has added to the mess. Gas prices have stayed high, and prices on everything else has gone up. Unemployment has been consistently high. I thought a chemistry degree was a safe one, but I can not find a job at all. He should have campaigned by shutting himself in the White House and working to help the people rather than appearing on Letterman.
I don't understand why minorities so flock to him. He's darker-skinned than normal, but that's about all he shares with them. Before being President, he was a national and state senator, and those are paid handsomely. Prior to that, he was a lawyer and a law professor, both prestigious positions, although he probably didn't make as much as a professor.
I think he got caught up so much in the celebrity of the job that he neglected the duty of the job.
And you vote?
The first part of the first video has some substance. The second part could be attributed to selection in the editing process. I have a feeling that a similar video could be made from interviews of Romney's supporters.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Scilicet wrote:Gas prices have stayed high, and prices on everything else has gone up. Unemployment has been consistently high. I thought a chemistry degree was a safe one, but I can not find a job at all.
Gee, why didn't Obama reduce gas prices, or get you your chemistry job? Or stop the Japanese tsunami, while we're at it? Maybe because he's not magical or even a dictator.

A slightly better way to judge a president is to look at the policies he did enact or veto, and determine whether those policies were actually good and/or bad.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I want to copy paste something that a friend of mine copy pasted regarding Obama. But I keep forgetting and am too lazy to do so now. But...

...what did he do when he came to power?! BOMBED YEMEN. fucl GO USA ! WOOT ! [/sarcasm] http://antiwar.com/blog/2012/11/07/obam ... eelection/
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Look at the mess Obama has inherited...from himself!