Eventual smartphone/desktop merge

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

We must protect their physical health by stunting their mental health. This makes perfect sense.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

This looks like Galaxy S4 with touchwiz interface LOL :)
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Wow! That looks like it could be really neat! Though their "low" specs are more like those of a mid-range Android phone.

Never knew about this before: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

From http://www.anandtech.com/show/6536/arm- ... howdown/14
I'd always heard about Haswell as the solution to the ARM problem, particularly in reference to the Cortex A15. The data here, particularly on the previous page, helped me understand exactly what that meant. Under a CPU or GPU heavy workload, the Exynos 5 Dual will draw around 4W. Peak TDP however is closer to 8W. If you remember back to IDF, Intel specifically called out 8W as a potential design target for Haswell. In reality, I expect that we'll see Haswell parts even lower power than that. While it may still be a stretch to bring Haswell down to 4W, it's very clear to me that Intel sees this as a possiblity in the near term. Perhaps not at 22nm, but definitely at 14nm. We already know Core can hit below 8W at 22nm, if it can get down to around 4W then that opens up a whole new class of form factors to a traditionally high-end architecture.

Ultimately I feel like that's how all of this is going to play out. Intel's Core architectures will likely service the 4W and above space, while Atom will take care of everything else below it. The really crazy part is that it's not too absurd to think about being able to get a Core based SoC into a large smartphone as early as 14nm, and definitely by 10nm (~2017) should the need arise. We've often talked about smartphones being used as mainstream computing devices in the future, but this is how we're going to get there. By the time Intel moves to 10nm ultramobile SoCs, you'll be able to get somewhere around Sandy/Ivy Bridge class performance in a phone.
If that timeline is really met, could be a very exciting time!
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Indeed! Though Intel have a have a habit of cutting corners when reaching ambitious targets. Remember how they beat AMD to produce a dual core CPU? Glued two single cores together instead of doing it properly.

But still, that kind of power in a phone would be really impressive.

I saw a Huawei phone the other day with a quad core processor. The only issue was the $800-$900 price tag. Still, that could come down quickly with demand.

MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Aren't those just loaded with a custom ubuntu ARM os?

I've already seen some 32-bit tablets that will run windows 7 or whatever else you want that's 32-bit

Just wait tilll they make 64-bit
:barf

also:
Levellass wrote:Bah! I refuse to watch commercials ON THE INTERNET! I was promised I could pirate content without interference from corporations! My PRINCIPLES are at stake here!

Why, even if the video contained vital information about an imminent terrorist attack I would not watch it, it's not like you can just walk away or ignore it, every commercial must be watched in its entirety, then you must buy something.
This is why I watch youtube videos in my shell window

Idk how to do it in windows though
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

(Minor?) Battery update

(Layman) It looks like they've found a cathode and anode able to store 5, 10 times as much as the current lithium-ion batteries. Next step is to try to combine them together.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

*drools* those are some tasty-sounding eggs.

guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

If the desktop does fail.
I'd still want something powerful that I can interface with all my fingers, and not just thumbs. If it even replaces the keyboard and mouse I'll try my best to learn it.

Made me think of this comic.
http://www.fanboys-online.com/musically ... ed-part-1/

Hating new stuff can make you feel old at times.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well why use more fingers? You're so out-of-date. Why not implant a chip in your ass? A single fart and you'll be able to view in 32194832174192 dimensions and navigate with your brain waves. :crazy
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Second thought, the keyboard will likely stay, as the alphabet isn't adding any letters anytime soon. But the mouse may get replaced with something that will operate in 3D.

Suppose I just had in my mind those over sized VR goggles with the giant gloves.

The mouse does have workarounds when used in 3D drafting, but usually involves holding down a mouse/keyboard button to move on a different plane.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

guynietoren wrote:Second thought, the keyboard will likely stay, as the alphabet isn't adding any letters anytime soon. But the mouse may get replaced with something that will operate in 3D.
That's a funny thought, because qwerty isn't even the most efficient way to type english. Touch (or 3d) keyboards may very well change that in the long-term by getting rid of the physical inertia of switching (by that, I mean something as simple as the letters being painted in qwerty) and by making software universally available that allows for easy switching.

Plus, the flat arrangement of the keyboard is much less than ergonomic. When we get 3d mice and 3d [virtual] keyboards, there'll definitely be a shift toward first "deformed keyboards" that you can start to hold at an angle, which will eventually morph into actual spherical keyboards.

This is not really what I was originally discussing about (you would probably plug the same hardware with "smartphone computers", at least to start with), but interesting all the same.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Predicting the future of technology is a great way to be very wrong in interesting ways. (I'm still waiting for my flying car, jetpack and star trek communicators.)

I predict that in the future we will have simple VR glasses that look like an ordinary pair of specs, projecting an image onto your eyes. They will contain your entire computer and use IR sensors to track your body and face to get input.

The user will hold his hands out in front of themselves and wave them about or wriggle their fingers to type on the computer only they can see. They will be able to scroll with a gesture, open and close applications with a flick.

There will be only one drawback; with the entire computer looking just like an ordinary pair of shades and all input being hand motion, it will be impossible to tell programmers apart from the mentally unstable.

Re:comic: If you hate classical AND dubstep, what does that make you?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Levellass wrote:...star trek communicators...
What's the name of this thread again? :p (Granted they look more like TNG PADDs now, but the functionality is there.)