Eventual smartphone/desktop merge

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Eventual smartphone/desktop merge

Post by KeenEmpire »

There have been a couple of hints of this (Ubuntu on Android). Here is a latest trial of the same phenomenon, in sort of the opposite direction. It seems to be just barely usable.

The presenter definitely makes an impressive portrayal. I, for one, am convinced that this is a glimpse of the future, say, 5 years from now. (And by 10 years completely mainstream.)
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's as inevitable as the betamax, eternal Microsoft domination and the jetpack.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Lies! All lies! *runs and hides shaking under a table*

Desktops won't go. Anyone in design, who wants more than one monitor (ignoring Intel's wireless video developments), plays advanced videogames, wants to have many, many windows open, wants complex programs and wants high performance (though tablets could catch up on that front) will still use a desktop.

Also enterprise environments are unlikely to let go for a long time, people wanting a more ergonomic solution than tapping a poorly positioned screen (ignoring bluetooth keyboards) will stick with desktops, and much, much more.

Different devices, different applications.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I can see tablets supplanting laptops, maybe - portable, but able to be setup as a more serious thing (my "desktop" is just a laptop with an unholy number of cables stuck into it). Desktops as they stand won't be going anywhere simply because tablets will never manage to pack the same grunt as a desktop, if only for cooling issues and the like.

Or at least, that's my moderately naive take. Who knows.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

Keening_Product wrote:Lies! All lies! *runs and hides shaking under a table*

Desktops won't go. Anyone in design, who wants more than one monitor (ignoring Intel's wireless video developments), plays advanced videogames, wants to have many, many windows open, wants complex programs and wants high performance (though tablets could catch up on that front) will still use a desktop.

Also enterprise environments are unlikely to let go for a long time, people wanting a more ergonomic solution than tapping a poorly positioned screen (ignoring bluetooth keyboards) will stick with desktops, and much, much more.

Different devices, different applications.
I agree. For web browsing and light word processing, and similar tasks, tablets may replace desktops/laptops in the next few years, but there are some tasks that a tablet does not seem at all suitable for. As for corporate environments, I doubt that a corporation is going to shell out the money to get its office drones a tablet when a thinclient is cheaper, harder to steal, and less than useful if you do.
My keyboard has no caps lock. It has a BRIAN BLESSED button!
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Keening_Product wrote: Desktops won't go. Anyone in design, who wants more than one monitor (ignoring Intel's wireless video developments), plays advanced videogames, wants to have many, many windows open, wants complex programs and wants high performance (though tablets could catch up on that front) will still use a desktop.
Here's the thing, though. In 10 years (maybe less), smartphones will be about as powerful as desktops are now.* True, the desktops of the time would have advanced further, but how many people actually need all that, compared to the convenience of being able to unplug your desktop's backend and take it around with you?

*They'll probably catch up with present-day laptops, which are also sufficient for many people, long before then.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Smartphones and tablets are looking tech, not making tech. Laptops are making tech, but not as making as Desktops.

Who has modded from a smartphone or tablet here?

I rest my case.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

KeenEmpire wrote:Here's the thing, though. In 10 years (maybe less), smartphones will be about as powerful as desktops are now.* True, the desktops of the time would have advanced further, but how many people actually need all that, compared to the convenience of being able to unplug your desktop's backend and take it around with you?
Ergonomics man, ergonomics. Netbooks, laptops, mobiles and tablets are all crunching our shoulders up, encourage us to sit badly and are not as responsive as a traditional external keyboard.

These devices will only get around this problem if they emulate desktop environments, effectively making them portable desktops that turn into tablets. THAT I could see having some success.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Keening_Product wrote: These devices will only get around this problem if they emulate desktop environments
wat

it's called plugging into a monitor and using a keyboard
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah, there will be more powerful phones and the idea of using them as a desktop replacement sounds neat. It's really easy to say that the smartphones will surpass desktop machines in 10 years blah blah blah. But you do realize that the processors cannot shrink in nanometer size like forever right? If nothing new revolution-ally appears, the only way to keep up will be to increase processor cores and size. But then you'll need better cooling solutions and batteries. Batteries now-days are sh1t and nothing revolutionary anytime soon on the horizon either.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

wiivn wrote:Yeah, there will be more powerful phones and the idea of using them as a desktop replacement sounds neat. It's really easy to say that the smartphones will surpass desktop machines in 10 years blah blah blah. But you do realize that the processors cannot shrink in nanometer size like forever right? If nothing new revolution-ally appears, the only way to keep up will be to increase processor cores and size. But then you'll need better cooling solutions and batteries. Batteries now-days are sh1t and nothing revolutionary anytime soon on the horizon either.
They're still shrinking yet, and the long-term outlook for batteries is looking not so shabby either.

http://www.dailytech.com/Researchers+Cr ... e23093.htm
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So says a typical 'Science! Awesome!' story. Now let's look at an article that's not hyping future tech (Cancer cure found! Common household substance cures everything! TUIT can be written via crowdsourcing!)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/228189/SmartBat.html

Battery performance is seriously hitting what smartphones can do.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Growing up in an exciting era and witnessing some of the greatest technological advancements in the history of mankind, I find it especially depressing seeing technology take such a massive leap backwards with the introduction of all this iCrap. Tablets are like laptops with half the interface, half the power, and half the functionality for a higher price. They're one of the stupidest and most unpractical devices I've ever seen, and they're not even new technology. I can't complain much about smart phones, seeing as I am fairly content with my Samsung Droid; but when it truly comes down to it, even those suck as actual "phones", and are useless in some emergency situations. So yeah, while the death of desktop PCs as we know them is likely inevitable, it is something that I will certainly resist. F*ck this generation.

PS. I didn't watch the video, but whatever it is, I'm not sitting through a commercial for it.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Paramultart wrote:Growing up in an exciting era and witnessing some of the greatest technological advancements in the history of mankind, I find it especially depressing seeing technology take such a massive leap backwards with the introduction of all this iCrap. Tablets are like laptops with half the interface, half the power, and half the functionality for a higher price. They're one of the stupidest and most unpractical devices I've ever seen, and they're not even new technology. I can't complain much about smart phones, seeing as I am fairly content with my Samsung Droid; but when it truly comes down to it, even those suck as actual "phones", and are useless in some emergency situations. So yeah, while the death of desktop PCs as we know them is likely inevitable, it is something that I will certainly resist. F*ck this generation.
People said the same thing about personal computers. ;) That said, as a developer and sometime gamer, I am quite loathe to use anything but desktops.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You know the television will rot your eyes right? And this newfangled radio thing is unnatural.