Crushers, a simple 2D game [updated, stable]

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

(Apologies for the necro.)

Not sure how many if any of you remember this game, but I recently polished it up a little to produce the final stable version of Crushers v2.5. The following changes have been made:

- Fixed blocks randomly vanishing on collision with others
- Fixed blocks sometimes spawning unaligned
- Fixed suffocation (I think)
- Rebalanced antigrav dimension (no longer a guaranteed death trap)
- Rebalanced poison deluges (less overpowered)
- Rebalanced zapper frequency (less common in the beginning)
- Improved graphics on the green laser lines
- Improved graphics on the poison particles
- Made blocks check for the bottom of the field with their bottom rather than top edge
- Expanded the playing field (more than one screen, smooth-scrolls)
- Expanded render field to widescreen (16:9)

Download Crushers 2.5

Enjoy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Oh dear, I'm going to download this and I'm going to get addicted again. Why must you do this to us Fleex?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The suffocation issue seems to be completely gone. Good job Fleex. :)
The poison deluges occasionally cause the game to lag pretty badly, but at least it doesn't get *everywhere* now.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Re: Crushers, a simple 2D game [updated, stable]

Post by Grimson »

Anyone got a working download link for this game? It was a perfect minigame for killing time.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Well this is a blast from the past! I hadn't thought about this game in years. Here's a working Dropbox link.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oooh! That one! I remember it. Still as hard as I remember it.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Fleexy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 20:20 Well this is a blast from the past! I hadn't thought about this game in years. Here's a working Dropbox link.
Thanks man. For some reason I never truly forgot about it despite not playing it in years. Figured I'd try again just for fun.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I've tried this out, and it's pretty neat! The presentation may seem lacking (although it has that charming old-school Game Maker game feel to it), but it can be fun and addicting, and the concept is pretty clever (platforming plus Tetris). It's fun to see what sort of structures are created throughout each session, and I like how you included all the different features and hazards to keep things interesting (even including a whole bonus stage)!

However, maybe it's because I'm a bit tired at the moment, but the game can feel a bit dull, and I feel like too many of my deaths were from RNG. Like, the zappers are so good at tracking you down that there's very little you can do unless there's either:

A) A 1x1 space nearby to hide in.
B) A big enough barrier between you and the zapper, making the latter unable to figure out its way.
C) You're lucky enough that a yellow block happens to fall into the zapper.

The blue blocks and poison can also be pretty nasty, especially when the former does the horizontal laser (they seem to take forever to finish) and the latter comes in as a "POISON DELUGE" (which can be a guaranteed Game Over due to how tricky it is to avoid them unless you get far away enough). Also, in each play session, it seems like a good chunk of the time is spent camping or hopping around, just waiting for something to happen. I know it's supposed to be about survival, but I would've appreciated something extra to do, even just having a bonus collectible appear periodically would've been nice (like in Pac-Man). Arcade games of the 80s (including Atari 2600 games) keep you on your toes consistently, give you something to work for beyond mere survival, and offer side goals that can give bonus points but possess some risk.

As I said earlier, though, the game is still neat, addictive, and fun, despite all the flaws I listed (I'd probably give it at least 6/10 or 7/10). By the way, is that a crushed Mortimer you're playing as? Would this be considered a Keen fangame? If so, I'd be willing to create a KeenWiki article about it!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!