Crushers, a simple 2D game [updated, stable]

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Crushers, a simple 2D game [updated, stable]

Post by Fleexy »

About four years ago, I started a tiny game in Game Maker. It's still tiny compared to pretty much any other game, but it has evolved to something that can provide at least a few minutes of entertainment. I figured I'd share it here.

Crushers is a survival game in which you must attempt to not be killed by any variety of possibly natural forces. The most common danger, and the one giving the game its name, is that of the never-ending stream of falling blocks. The block buildup is offset by occasional row-clearing lasers, bombs, and a mysterious force that removes the bottom layer of the map.

Download Crushers 2.5
Download Crushers Snapshot 03 for Stable Version 2.5
Download Crushers Snapshot 02 for Stable Version 2.5
Download Crushers Snapshot 01 for Stable Version 2.5

In-game controls:
- Up: Jump
- Down: Accelerate fall
- Right: Move right
- Left: Move left
- Esc: Quit
- F1: Help
- F3: Suicide
- F11: Debug key
- F12: Pause

There is an antigravity dimension in which the functions of Up and Down are reversed.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Fleexy on Fri Nov 28, 2014 20:08, edited 3 times in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

3500, but those zappers are almost unavoidable.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

It's a lot of fun, but those zappers really are brutal. Sometimes there's a lag of a few seconds where nothing happens though, which is a little weird (though I'm not sure if its intentional or not).
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

4479, second try. The blue shooting blocks are really damn nasty. I didn't have that much trouble with zappers luckily. By the way I was getting stuck on the edges and sides of the smallest blocks a lot. You should probably fix that
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

HALP!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

7,382, but I should've read the instructions first - didn't realise I could accelerate down!

That is one addictive game!

The zappers are easy - just hide in a 1x1 space and they can't touch you!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

This is fun! Although too many times I get stuck because I can't jump out of a hole I accidently fell into. I would also make the level sides impassable instead of insta-killing you.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

3 things need improving.
1. Balancing the difficulty. At the beginning the game is slow and too easy. Needs more blocks which are falling faster. But after a while, the game becomes way too hard in a short period of time.
2. Increasing of suffocation time especially if you're stuck in a larger place to maneuver. Once the half of the level was blocked, but I've still got a lot of space to move. Also, if the game detects something like trapping is happening, activate more lasers and explosion blocks. Maybe if you add laser on every 2000 points which can be activated by the player.
3. Those poisonous yellowish sparkles. Sometimes they fall from all over the sky which is unfair.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I'm glad people are enjoying it! I'll try to fix some of the issues mentioned here in a day or two. I could not reproduce the bug related to the small blocks, but made a change that should affect it. By the way, has anyone managed to check out the antigravity dimension yet?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

wiivn wrote:2. Increasing of suffocation time especially if you're stuck in a larger place to maneuver.
I was thinking the exact same thing!

And... antigravity dimension?

Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

wiivn wrote:2. Increasing of suffocation time especially if you're stuck in a larger place to maneuver. Once the half of the level was blocked, but I've still got a lot of space to move. Also, if the game detects something like trapping is happening, activate more lasers and explosion blocks. Maybe if you add laser on every 2000 points which can be activated by the player.
This. I had a huge open room that connected to the ceiling, but I still ended up suffocating. Also, sometimes I've been in small L-shaped spaces that are not enclosed, yet I suddenly die of suffocation.

EDIT: HNNNGGG. Suffocation is too unfair! I was in a place like this, just about to hit 7k when suddenly: "GAME OVER MAN! You have suffocated."

WAHT
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

I think it would be good to always show your score on screen (instead of having to press space) as well as the high score. Score-running is what makes arcade games fun!

A couple of questions: How are the yellow blocks supposed to destroy zappers (running them into one doesn't seem to work for me)? Is there supposed to be music? The help file seems to mention some. Also, why is it that a bunch of the sound effects only play out of the right channel? Seems really weird.

As for the antigravity dimension, I haven't even seen a portal!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Flaose wrote:I think it would be good to always show your score on screen (instead of having to press space) as well as the high score. Score-running is what makes arcade games fun!
Good idea!
Flaose wrote:A couple of questions: How are the yellow blocks supposed to destroy zappers (running them into one doesn't seem to work for me)?

They need to fall on/crush the zappers. Also, you can sometimes make the zappers spaz into blocks, also triggering the collision.
Flaose wrote:Is there supposed to be music? The help file seems to mention some.

Press M, but it's just a lame MIDI rendition of Mario's "Invincibility Star" played in an endless loop.
Flaose wrote:Also, why is it that a bunch of the sound effects only play out of the right channel? Seems really weird.
I... don't know. Did you check your system volume control?
Flaose wrote:As for the antigravity dimension, I haven't even seen a portal!
Patience! Jump when you see a floating, smoking pink wave.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Fleexy wrote: Patience! Jump when you see a floating, smoking pink wave.
Oh! I thought those thing were going to kill me! I've seen something like eight of them!

Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

But...the anti-grav dimension is just reversed gravity! IMKO, it's even harder to play than the regular dimension. I thought it would be an open space where you actually have no gravity, with blocks coming from all directions.

EDIT: Holy garg :eek Look at this score! Damn, I knew poison would eventually get me.