Moving Servers, Upgrading phpBB

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

malv4 host
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

On a relevant note, it should be a good chance to say thanks to Andy Durdin for giving us a place for the forums, while having interest in the contents and also after (what appears to be) the lost of such interest.
Truly, I have really got to know this place a couple of years after adurdin has seemingly left, considering his post history. But it should not matter at all.

It is a good opportunity to raise the following point, even with no transfer of the forums in effect: Is an E-Mail notification sent now whenever a Private Message is sent, or it is still not working as expected? (To the ones who wonder, it did work a few years ago.)

I know it's probably easier to "just test" but... well, maybe a bit later if not done by me.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

So I would recommend http://www.1and1.com/ - we can transfer the domain without additional fees and it includes 2 gb email and other stuff for $11 per year.

Or
http://www.godaddy.com/domains/search.aspx?ci=77910 which look cheaper, but might include additional costs, so I'm not sure about it.
Blue
The Big Foot

Post by Blue »

I have a webhost that's not being used too much at the moment, and I don't really have a problem with hosting the pckf. I use apthost as my host.

I have a 100gb transfer per month, and im pretty sure that the pckf doesn't generate that much traffic. If you'd like for me to host, let me know. I wouldn't look at charging for hosting, as it doesn't cost me much as it is.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

StupidBunny wrote:
chrissifniotis wrote:Damn you Mortimer!
:mortlol
Well...
Image :mort

:O

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORT!!!

EDIT: Now this seems like fuel for ideas for a possible Keen mod...

Commander Keen in: The Internet is Toast!
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Boreas249 wrote:Commander Keen in: The Internet is Toast!
Warm, buttery toast!
:drool
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Boreas249 wrote:EDIT: Now this seems like fuel for ideas for a possible Keen mod...

Commander Keen in: The Internet is Toast!
You won't believe the terrifying SQL!
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

Let this mark the downfall of PCKF and the rise of keenchan.tk!

On a serious note, I can supply a VPS account with root access. It runs Debian GNU/Linux and it's pretty reliable. Does that seem useful?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Bubbatom wrote:I'm keen for a PCKF logo revamp, and seeing as I just got myself a new Intuos4, I'd like to give it a shot.
If you want to see the version used on one of the old boards check this out: http://dosclassics.com/old/pckf/Bug%20T ... rd_com.htm

Seems Flaose's avatar is now at least a decade old.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Yeah, I've been using the same avatar since we moved from the old insidetheweb boards...putting a Santa hat on Keen was the first time I've even changed it up since then.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

I hope the look of this place doesn't change. I really like how this board looks almost identical even on very old-school minimalist browsers like Links2 (whereas lots of other newer sites don't render properly).
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Administrating two PHPBB3 forums myself, I say - go for it.
As an Admin - I know how much options and flexibility it adds to the admin, it's night and day, it's whole other level...
More options, features, security, access, managing.........etc etc etc...
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:You mean public grand intellect forum (PGIF). It's not like we call this place the public Billy Blaze forum.
Hmm... that domain appears to be for sale... *buys domain*

I wish I could host the forums but I don't have the time/resources
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I abandoned a terrible host last year - VentraIP. An Australian company which sells you capacity then suspends your account when you max it.

I paid $40 for two years and I think I might have about 6 months left on there, though I can't figure out how to log in since I moved to my new host. I've not dared try their labyrinth of a support service, but if people need me to I could give it a shot and ask about temporarily hosting the PCKF there?

The bandwidth per month max is 10gb and you wouldn't want to be pushing over 300bps often.

They were stable, they just played dirty. Probably not worth it for the sake of a few months.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

I'm wary of pay-per-byte models, especially because I don't think anyone knows how much data we use. If Malv would be willing to host, that would be awesome but I wouldn't want to strain his already generous services. Also, putting all of the eggs in one basket can be dangerous.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's