Australia burns

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Australia burns

Post by Levellass »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8146851 ... or-missing

With record temperatures this summer, much of Australia is ablaze. This marks yet another episode in what has becoming an increasing occurrence. Wildlife has overcome its fear of humans to cower with those who are watching their homes and lives go up in flames. The smoke has drifted across the sea and filled our skies, tinting the sunsets an ominous red.

my heart goes out to all of those who are affected, hopefully this is the worst of it.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Re: Australia burns

Post by chrissifniotis »

Levellass wrote:...
my heart goes out to all of those who are affected, hopefully this is the worst of it.
Mine as well. I've had the good fortune of not experiencing such a thing, but I always donate to bushfire funds all the same and yesterday was a little tense; despite being in the suburbs I live in bushland.
New South Wales has had a good deal of bushfires, very nearly all sparked yesterday some still burning now, due to a very very hot day and night.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Levellass most aussies know that the australian summer is long and hot however i cannot compare it to the new zealand summer despite the fact that i was there in january 2006 for 1 week.

weather was a lot cooler than australia, but by no means does that mean that new zealand is nor suspect able to bushfires and natural disaster in fact new zealand is in the ring of fire which makes it very prone to earthquakes. australia is lucky enough not to be part of that ring. i do not know if you have spent anytime in australia or not.

but you need to experience an australia summer to compare it to the kiwi alternative. we are friends with your country politically and non politically, as a australian who has visited new zealand i can say that i love your country. in fact i think that the countryside is more greener than australia.

my heart broke when i heard about the death and destruction in christchurch. it was such a beautiful city but sadly now there is nothing left and unlikely will not be re built
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Re: Australia burns

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:my heart goes out to all of those who are affected, hopefully this is the worst of it.
Ditto
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

it doesnt seem as bad as those big fires that happened...er, several years ago. the one where Cold Play and stuff played concerts for.

but yeah it was pretty damn hot here yesterday, but today was kinda cold :/ the weathers weird.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

My sister just got to Sydney a few days ago to spend a semester there...I guess her timing wasn't the best.

Here's hoping they can bring the burn under control, that nobody else will have to lose their homes, and that those who have can get back on their feet soon.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

StupidBunny wrote:My sister just got to Sydney a few days ago to spend a semester there...I guess her timing wasn't the best.
what do you mean? Sydneys fine. (unless you mean shes on the very outskirts of sydney, i.e the country town areas)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Well she's not going to be there the whole semester. She's all over Australia as I understand it, and will in fact be spending a lot of time outside of the major cities (I unfortunately don't remember her whole itinerary but of course I can ask. :P )
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

weather was a lot cooler than australia, but by no means does that mean that new zealand is nor suspect able to bushfires and natural disaster in fact new zealand is in the ring of fire which makes it very prone to earthquakes. australia is lucky enough not to be part of that ring. i do not know if you have spent anytime in australia or not.
Nope, no time there.

We have bushfires now and then, and sometimes they even take houses, but they're in no way comparable to Australia's, possibly due to both our size and ecology.

my heart broke when i heard about the death and destruction in christchurch. it was such a beautiful city but sadly now there is nothing left and unlikely will not be re built
Oh they're determined to rebuild. Not sure if the city will ever be the same again, but seriously, it's best not to build in places prone to destruction.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Levellass wrote:...
Oh they're determined to rebuild. Not sure if the city will ever be the same again, but seriously, it's best not to build in places prone to destruction.
That's great to hear. I pitched in for Christchurch as well as the other disaster regions that year. How has Chirstchurch been since the quake?
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

StupidBunny wrote:She's all over Australia as I understand it, and will in fact be spending a lot of time outside of the major cities
haha, oh man. yeah she might very well be in trouble. one lesson in australia is never ever leave the major cities unless you're some sort of bear grills survival guy.

well, im probly taking it too far. ive never actually been outside of sydney.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

StupidBunny wrote:My sister just got to Sydney a few days ago to spend a semester there...I guess her timing wasn't the best.
Well look at it this way: when all the scrub has been burnt and the weather cools off she will be able to travel around in relative safety. Burnt land doesn't burn again quickly.

And Bernie, the 2009 Victorian bushfires are called the Black Saturday fires - how can you not know that?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Keening_Product wrote: And Bernie, the 2009 Victorian bushfires are called the Black Saturday fires - how can you not know that?
well... cause im not really aussie :( i just say i am cause chicks dig the aussie accent.

jokes :crazy i knew they were called the black *something* fires but i forgot which day it was. i acutally thought it was the black wednesday or black friday bushfires. or was black friday something else?
fantomx11
Vortininja

Post by fantomx11 »

Bernie wrote:
Keening_Product wrote: And Bernie, the 2009 Victorian bushfires are called the Black Saturday fires - how can you not know that?
well... cause im not really aussie :( i just say i am cause chicks dig the aussie accent.

jokes :crazy i knew they were called the black *something* fires but i forgot which day it was. i acutally thought it was the black wednesday or black friday bushfires. or was black friday something else?
If you're in the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Frid ... hopping%29
My keyboard has no caps lock. It has a BRIAN BLESSED button!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

oh cool i found this actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_%281939%29

i *knew* there was some bushfire from many years ago with that name. and there we have it :)