Windows 8

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Levack
Vortininja

Windows 8

Post by Levack »

Has anybody gotten this yet?If not it's no good. Playing Keen,I had to change ctrl to the left shift otherwise it flips the screen around when I do an imposable pogo trick. And that app screen is stupid. :dead
StupidBunny
format c:

Re: Windows 8

Post by StupidBunny »

Levack wrote:Has anybody gotten this yet?If not it's no good. Playing Keen,I had to change ctrl to the left shift otherwise it flips the screen around when I do an imposable pogo trick. And that app screen is stupid. :dead
The first problem used to happen on my computer (which uses Windows 7) until I went into some sort of screen or shortcut settings and disabled that feature.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Touchpad response was very sluggish, with only limited and ineffective settings - it worked much better once I installed linux. But then, I quickly discovered that the new uefi boot means I'm practically unable to dual-boot windows with most linuxes. If I use "legacy mode" (bios compatibility), then the linuxes start up, but windows doesn't.

Plus, I swear it randomly deletes files in between boots.

Metro (the supposed next big design) may be pretty, but that's really all it has going for it. It wastes an obscene amount of space for one app, with the dual view mode too inflexibly designed, thus often useless. The full-screen property of these apps also means I'm forced to alt-tab a lot more than in a truly windowed environment, increasing the number of steps required to do common tasks and generally annoying me. The multitasking/alt-tab gestures (from the left) are themselves highly inefficient.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

It's installed on the lab computer at school and to me it just looks like Windows 7 with a more confusing desktop.
Commander Bones
Grunt

Post by Commander Bones »

I have Windows 8 Pro, and the main things I don't like about it are the Metro, which just gets in the way for me seeing as I only use the desktop, and if Gabe Newell is right, it's also not very gaming friendly.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I didn't expected win8 to sell well, but I was surprised that it is even worser than vista.

Yeah, win 8 is a piece of s***. I don't know a single person in real life who likes it. No wonder it sells only on new laptops and tablets. In their attempts to make it even more simpler for the average joe, they failed. Badly. I do like some of the improvements here and there, that's for sure, but metro is just... meh.

I bet that at some point, they'll return the classic start menu (yeah, I know I can download classic shell).
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

the new paint is confusing, and I can't mod Keen graphics with it

vista is not to bad,I guess you like XP or something else
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Isn't it lucky that you can download the original paint file for free? (Gasp! So compact, so basic!)

The first problem used to happen on my computer (which uses Windows 7) until I went into some sort of screen or shortcut settings and disabled that feature.
It takes time to break in a new OS and stop it trying to 'help' you. I still don't know how to override the damn function keys on my HP. To save a game in Keen 1 (F5) I need to right click outside the game, press right shift and F5.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I just nab one from an older computer and keep it on a flashdrive

Ahhh old ms-paint, is there nothing you can't do with pixels?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I humbly submit this glorious tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU

Also epic music.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:I humbly submit this glorious tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU

Also epic music.
That... was beautiful... *sobs*
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Levellass wrote:I humbly submit this glorious tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU

Also epic music.
:O
Wow! That talent is beyond awesome, it's almost divine.
:O

*my brain explodes* :dead2
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I remember when XP came out. My reaction was "What's with all of these lame cartoons and flashy buttons?" First thing I would have to do after every installation of WinXP is undo all of their user-friendly garbage; going to classic mode, disabling little CPU hogging transition effects and enabling file extensions. If someone is enough of an inept shmuck that file extensions confuse them, they shouldn't be anywhere near a damn computer.

Anyway, they've just made it harder and harder to like Windows, and now, they have become the grim, dumb future of sh*tty computing.

Soon, we won't have PCs, or even smartphones, but rather a 5G buttplug that transmits commercials and update notifications directly to our brain for constant, literal rape and degradation.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I remember when XP came out. My reaction was "What's with all of these lame cartoons and flashy buttons?" First thing I would have to do after every installation of WinXP is undo all of their user-friendly garbage; going to classic mode, disabling little CPU hogging transition effects and enabling file extensions. If someone is enough of an inept shmuck that file extensions confuse them, they shouldn't be anywhere near a damn computer.

Wait... are you me?

Soon, we won't have PCs, or even smartphones, but rather a 5G buttplug that transmits commercials and update notifications directly to our brain for constant, literal rape and degradation.
Technology will be directly implanted into our bodies, you snap your fingers to make a phone call, cough to print a document and masturbate furiously over the shiny new technology.

Oh wait, they have that already, I believe they call it 'Apple'
Dr. Kylstein
Vortininja

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Levellass wrote:

Wait... are you me?
I am Spartacus!

I used to do all that on my Windows XP as well. Then I switched to Linux. Now I do all that on every Ubuntu install! I intend to switch distros... eventually.