I would like some help with DRO2MIDI

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Scilicet
Vortininja

I would like some help with DRO2MIDI

Post by Scilicet »

I am trying to convert imfs into midis, but I am having trouble running the program. I have drilled down to the dro2midi folder at the command prompt, but when I try to run an imf through using the syntax I found online, I am told that the file I'm trying to convert is not recognized as "an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file." I was reading about it online, and I think the files have to be in the same folder as the program, so I put them there. Nothing happens. What do I need to do?
If this has been covered elsewhere, please link to it and lock this topic.
Thank you.

Edit
I found a screenshot that helped with the syntax. I discovered that the folder of imfs had to have its contents spilled up one level so they were in the same place as the exe. It's a great little program.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

I've little to no experiencrme with DRO2MODI, had trouble getting it to convert anything myself... so I'm as puzzled as you are.
spikey
Vortininja

Post by spikey »

Everything needs to be in the same folder, as your edit details.

You need to make a text file, put the instructions into it, and save as a batch file (or rename it to be .bat).
Once you have a batch file, the contents should look like:

dro2midi korath.imf korath.mid

Where the program dro2midi turns the IMF file Korath into the MIDI file Korath.
There are some custom switches that can be used with the program also, such as if the resulting MIDI has lots of odd pitch bends, but you can read that in the program's help file.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So can we have Keen's music converted to midi format?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:So can we have Keen's music converted to midi format?
I convert Keen music to mp3,ogg etc... with the imf plugin for winamp. But for some reason it speeds it up >:

other than that I have keen music on my mp3player in midi :love
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

AFAIK, DRO2MIDI only works with .DRO files generated by DOSBox 0.72, not the most recent 0.74.

Just wanted to throw that out there if you run into any other troubles.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
spikey
Vortininja

Post by spikey »

Nah, it works with IMF files too. As long as the IMF is extracted correctly (and converted in some cases), and the MIDI's are converted using the correct switches as mentioned before, the MIDI's will be close to note perfect. Instruments will need to be tweaked, and some other alterations made, but the end product is way better now than 5 years ago, where serious tweaking would be needed for it to even be listenable.

Basically, if you do the conversion, the instruments will be partially off, and some percussion instruments will be mapped as odd regular instruments, with a minor annoyance factor. The main melody will come out intact in most cases, sometimes with correct instrumentation, sometimes requiring tweaking.

What it does give us is *really really close* to a Keen MIDI resource, then you guys will have to rely on MIDI fools like myself to make MIDI soundtracks. Keen 4+5+6 soundtrack is on my list, I had a tracklist written up somewhere last year.. May have even recorded a track or two.
So can we have Keen's music converted to midi format?
Yes, with varying results, see above ;) But yeah, it's now a viable option.

Here's an example, "Mamba Snake" (with no alteration of the converted MIDI):
http://www.sierramusiccentral.com/assorted/mamba.zip
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Bleah, that DOES need tweaking.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.