something about Keen modding

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

something about Keen modding

Post by szemi »

Today I learned something. I mustn't make mods as I just promise them, but I'll never finish them. Why? I don't have a partner, I'm not a professional tile maker, I suck at making title screens in Keen 4-6, I'm not really a good Keen 4-6 modder, etc. I should make Keen 4-6 skin mods instead.

Seriously, is it worth for me to make Keen 4-6 mods? Or should I make skin mods?
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Re: something about Keen modding

Post by Scarlet »

szemi wrote:Today I learned something. I mustn't make mods as I just promise them, but I'll never finish them. Why? I don't have a partner, I'm not a professional tile maker, I suck at making title screens in Keen 4-6, I'm not really a good Keen 4-6 modder, etc. I should make Keen 4-6 skin mods instead.

Seriously, is it worth for me to make Keen 4-6 mods? Or should I make skin mods?
Just give yourself more time, it takes time. Do one thing at a time.
I personally don't like skin mods.
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Well, I have a bad feature: I have too many good ideas at the same time for each mods.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Start with reskins, and then later work on modding
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

This happened to me many times as well, I started by trying to make Keen 3 1/4 - The Volticons Attack, which was a horrible failure and was left very early, followed by my unfinished Keen 3 levelpack and then Botafloria. Starting too many projects is the bane of many modders. How I got around it is, when I get a good idea, I try to twist it and edit it so that it would fit into the project I'm currently making. Using V2 helped a lot because there can be much more variety and different environments in Vorticons mods now than ever before.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

When I first started modding a lot of my work was very crude, and I spent a long time trying out different projects to improve my skills. Instead of announcing big projects, focus on smaller things so you can get better. I would recommend making a level pack of one of the original Galaxy games so you can learn level design as well. I would avoid doing too many complex things like new enemies/patches for now. With time you can get better at modding 4-6, just be patient.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

This is I think the reason all my Galaxy mods have stalled. There are too many different skills involved that I just haven't had the patience to learn, and because Galaxy mods are much more complicated, so the mapping and design habits are going to be different. (I'm having the same problem with 30 CAT III, which I'd intended to be a Vorticons 2.0 mod. Well, that and my utter lack of free time at the moment.)
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

StupidBunny wrote:This is I think the reason all my Galaxy mods have stalled. There are too many different skills involved that I just haven't had the patience to learn, and because Galaxy mods are much more complicated, so the mapping and design habits are going to be different. (I'm having the same problem with 30 CAT III, which I'd intended to be a Vorticons 2.0 mod. Well, that and my utter lack of free time at the moment.)
..or losing all of your modding work in a hard drive failure. :barf

What helped me understand making levels for the Galaxy engine:

1) Study the tile sets and get a feel for how the tiles go together.

2) Study the original Galaxy (and the Universe is Toast) levels in a level editor; don't copy their design, but use them as a starting point how a level is 'nicely' laid out

3) Instead of making levels right away, build mock-up sections. This allows you to play with multiple level components (poles, doorways, switches, goplats) to get an in-game understanding of how everything ties together without building an entire level
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall