Buy your PCKF Spam Sieve today!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

We should have a "trash can" subforum of spam threads and other junk.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Rorie wrote:keeners have a right to come to a board to discuss commander keen spam free and that right is being denied?
Okay I don't usually post about things like this, but this comment irritated me.

You have no such right. No one gave it to you. You are not paying for this site. You are not maintaining this site. Even if your username is not 'Guest' you are a guest.

Flaose said it's a dictatorship because it is. And nowhere did the owners or maintainers of the PCKF promise to you an uninterrupted spam-free experience.

Every website is a dictatorship unless its owner pledges otherwise.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

we have a right to assert that we have a right to assert that we have a right to assert that we have a right to assert that we have a right to assert. that.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

To have rights, you must first have laws. The internet is inherently lawless ergo no rights.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

ckguy wrote:
Rorie wrote:keeners have a right to come to a board to discuss commander keen spam free and that right is being denied?
Okay I don't usually post about things like this, but this comment irritated me.

You have no such right. No one gave it to you. You are not paying for this site. You are not maintaining this site. Even if your username is not 'Guest' you are a guest.

Flaose said it's a dictatorship because it is. And nowhere did the owners or maintainers of the PCKF promise to you an uninterrupted spam-free experience.

Every website is a dictatorship unless its owner pledges otherwise.
i never said it was just about me. i sincerely apologize if i offended anyone but the fact is not just myself but everyone here has the right to a spam free environment. there are two sides to a story that everyone must listen to to understand the situation
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

so, is the spam here cause the owners of this site gets money for it?
or am i stating the obvious?
i remember i once had one of those free geocities forums and it eventually got invaded and corrupted by spam on its own.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

The spam is here because no forum is safe from spam. I've seen countless forums running the latest phpbb get like 2 spambots per week. You might also have noticed that Ceilick, Flaose and others immediately remove all spambots once they find them. It's all about time.
Even though the PCKF could use a software update, Andy doesn't have the time to do that. I fully understand that and you should too. He's been kind enough to host the forum for a good 6-7 years. If we do find a new host, then will be the perfect chance to update. Until then, you'll just have to live with it. Blame the spambots, not the admins.
I don't think a few useless threads is a bad enough thing to complain about like this. We should all be thankful that we have such a great community and a place to chat at all.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I think the admins are doing a fine job.

The occasional spambot is understandable and frankly somewhat entertaining
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

i never said it was just about me. i sincerely apologize if i offended anyone but the fact is not just myself but everyone here has the right to a spam free environment. there are two sides to a story that everyone must listen to to understand the situation
I believe you are confusing rights and wants.

A right is an agreement between a number of individuals that certain individuals can do something. In order to be a right three conditions must be met:

* The right must be defined somewhere. If it is not then anyone can be prevented from doing something along the logic of 'Nobody said that you had a right to do this.'

* The individuals involved must be ones affected by that right. An Iranian cannot claim the right to free speech given to Americans.

* The right must be enforced. All the words in the world are worthless unless there is some authority (even if it is just democratic action of the individuals themselves.) ensuring that right.

There is no binding agreement of rights on this board (Condition 1); there are expectations yes, we like people to act a certain way here, but we have not signed any legal agreement, even one along the lines of 'Doing x will get you banned' (Which some forums have.)

There are thus no individuals affected (Condition 2) and nobody is enforcing these rights (condition 3); the mods keep things in line, yes, but it is entirely up to their discretion. They could kick me out today and I would have no recourse. They could shut down this site on a whim, or allow as much spam as it could hold.

This is a nice place, we expect people to act nice and be respectful and try and get along. But all of this is informal and it could easily have not been this way. (One only needs to look on Reddit at how popular racial abuse or inappropriate sexual imagery can get to see that even forums with more rules than ours can become quite unpleasant.)

We enjoy an excellent resource provided to us by the site's owners and the services of the mods. But it is not ours, it is theirs and we have no rights to it.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

MoffD wrote:I think the admins are doing a fine job.

The occasional spambot is understandable and frankly somewhat entertaining
+1UP

Keep up the perfection-is-impossible-but-we-are-doing-our-best work. Honestly you can't ask for anything better, you just cannot spam-proof a forum.
Heh, I'm reminded of my reply on a thread here necroed by a spam-bot. :dopekeen

[Edit]
Levellass wrote:...

This is a nice place, we expect people to act nice and be respectful and try and get along. But all of this is informal and it could easily have not been this way. (One only needs to look on Reddit at how popular racial abuse or inappropriate sexual imagery can get to see that even forums with more rules than ours can become quite unpleasant.)

We enjoy an excellent resource provided to us by the site's owners and the services of the mods. But it is not ours, it is theirs and we have no rights to it.
+7UP

Well spoken points. Do you do a lot of public speaking out of curiosity?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well spoken points. Do you do a lot of public speaking out of curiosity?
I am being slowly forced into it, yes.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

[OFFTOPIC]Ah, I thought so. I should consider working on that, I'm far more fluent and eloquent on the interwebs due to my introversion.[/OFFTOPIC]

:crazy
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Welcome to spam duty, timezone neighbour.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

at the risk of losing friends i have decided to butt out of this topic i sincerely apologize if i flamed trolled or infuriated anyone. ok i got it all wrong i have no rights but don't hold that against me ok? i love this place even if it means i have not posted anything keen for years or yet visited the other sections
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Eh, I don't think anyone's going to be offended, we just like to make sure everyone reads from the same song sheet. (You can read sheet music, right?)