Licensing Keen on steam

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Licensing Keen on steam

Post by Levellass »

So, browsing the Steam Subscriber Agreement today and I noticed this little gem:
Steam and your Subscription(s) require the automatic download and installation of Software onto your computer. Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement, including the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software. To make use of the Software, you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet.
Asking around I have been informed (In light of the recent rights debate here.) that I do not in fact own anything, even Keen, downloaded from Steam. I am merely being allowed the privilege of running it on my computer. At any time they wish Steam may pop over and go 'Ok, hand it back, all the system backups too. Your license is revoked.'

And it happens, here's someone who was in the news a while back when Amazon decided to obliterate his account without warning, quite legally just 'cause: http://consumerist.com/2011/07/15/who-a ... n-account/

It's a sad day when you can't buy Keen anymore.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I dunno if you've ever read an EULA before, but the "licensed not sold" thing is probably in just about any piece of software you've purchased featuring an EULA, ever. It's snuck its way into online music purchases too, if I recall there was a bit of a ruckus put up by Bruce Willis of all people when Apple told him he couldn't legally bequeath his iTunes music collection in his will since he didn't own it, just a non-transferable license to it.

Basically, this is nothing new. This is the digital world we've been living in for many, many years, and I'm surprised someone as well-informed as you is only just learning of it, Lass.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Steam include K1 and K4 in the bundle, right? That has to be given away, not licensed.

Is that a breach of Keen's shareware license?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Well, the point is entirely moot - even if your Steam "license" to K1 and 4 was revoked, you could still reobtain them through other valid means. The shareware policy isn't really being violated at all.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Keening_Product wrote:Steam include K1 and K4 in the bundle, right? That has to be given away, not licensed.

i brought keen 1-5 from 3drealms direct so there is no drm from there as you would expect from steam
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Keening_Product wrote:Steam include K1 and K4 in the bundle, right? That has to be given away, not licensed.

The copyright holders can distribute it under whichever license they want. Presumably whomever authorized steam to distribute keens 2,3,5 authorized them to do this as well.

To answer the thread, this has been going on since forever, to avoid such awkward things as the first sale doctrine (you're not buying the item, you're buying a non-transferrable license to use the item!). The most famous example is probably microsoft windows, though things like online music have been getting recent attention.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

One technical difference is that Steam does not have to run in order to let the DOSBox emulator run. So, you can basically run any of the CK episodes distributed by Steam with any arbitrary version of DOSBox, a different emulator or even an actual DOS setup, the same way as you would do with the packaged releases.
As already mentioned before, there are also several similarities when it comes to the EULAs, although they are not identical, of course.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Explain these 'EULAs' (Would it perhaps stand for End User License Agreement? I think I've heard that elsewhere, but I can only think of Redwall.)

But seriously now, when I buy a box of cereal i expect that I OWN said cereal. When I buy a book, I own said book and may gift, give away or burn it depending on content. Yet I don't actually own stuff I get online? What a gyp!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:Explain these 'EULAs' (Would it perhaps stand for End User License Agreement? I think I've heard that elsewhere, but I can only think of Redwall.)
Yes... Definitely... Squirrels and mice, but particularly Badgers :evil
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

I'll need to look up and read a few to get an idea, but I've been aware of the EULAs, there are digital copies in the directories of some games. I'll edit the post later with a basic outline.

*sits down cross-legged, pulls out a red book and starts reading*
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Usually I get tired of Steam updates so I disconnect my internet before running Keen or Terraria. Goes into offline mode after it tries logging in. Which looks really dumb when it goes:
Running updates... oops, no internet.
Lets try logging in anyway... oh yeah, no internet.
A complete waste of time to sit through when it could just ask windows if there's an internet connection instead of waiting for time outs on both processes. BUT I can still play games without logging in, so long as it's already downloaded and will work offline. Of course Streams credibility will go down the drain if they screw up.