Wii Modding and Other Legal Issues

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Wii Modding and Other Legal Issues

Post by MoffD »

Edit by Flaose: This topic stems from an offshoot in the Worlds of Wander topic. It got the whole topic off on a tangent but was the beginning of an interesting discussion and thus continues here.

edit by MoffD: For those wondering about legal issues:
Q:Is it illegal to install the Homebrew Channel?
A:No. But it will void your Wii's warranty, and Nintendo may refuse to do in and out of warranty repairs on it, such as disc drive replacements.
Taken directly from the wiibrew.org FAQ page
Nintendo does not approve of Homebrew because they say it's used for pirating.
The Homebrew community openly oppose illegal acts done with their software

IN MY OPINION:
Installing Homebrew enhances the Wii console by a fair margin and if I did not personally own a Wii I would likely buy one because of the extra functionality. As Nintendo already makes their Wii controllers easier to connect to other platforms (I.E. through Bluetooth) I don't see why they have a problem with using their consoles for other purposes not necessarily intended

As TerminILL put it:
TerminILL wrote:Any illegality would stem from circumvention of routines designed to prevent running pirated software. Even if software piracy is not the intent, console companies get kinda tetchy about it (see also: mod chips, and unlicensed software developers - Super 3D Noah's Ark, anyone?). I feel like there was a ruling in favour of mod chips at one point, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There was a ruling regarding the legality of jailbreaking an iPhone which says that's fine, and reflashing an MP3 player's firmware will like as not just void your warranty. That's mostly besides the point, though. With regards to setting up homebrew on your Wii, the WiiBrew wiki linked assures that installing the Homebrew Channel itself is not illegal (it is indeed warranty-voiding though).

Anyway, yeah. Something something Tom Hall's new game.
chrissifniotis wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:
chrissifniotis wrote:Bloody Nora! I've got to see that. Someone get Keen on the Wii!
NAOOOOOO!!! D8<
I already run all the Keen games on my Wii using DOSBox Wii.
:O *head explodes* :bloody

-258UP

Game Over

(I'll look for that tonight.)
You will need to Jailbreak the Wii if you haven't yet:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel
also here's DosboxWii's page on wiibrew.org:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dosbox
[/i]
Last edited by MoffD on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:29, edited 3 times in total.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Wasn't jailbreaking Wiis made illegal?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Boreas249
Vortininja

Post by Boreas249 »

It was always illegal.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Levellass! Stop right there!

Why every time and I mean every damn time, someone should bring up the subject whether something is illegal or not? As long as you use this for homebrew and only for your own console, you can do whatever you want with it. The only thing that happens is that you lost your warranty.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

MoffD wrote:
chrissifniotis wrote:
Commander Keen wrote: I already run all the Keen games on my Wii using DOSBox Wii.
:O *head explodes* :bloody

-258UP

Game Over

(I'll look for that tonight.)
You will need to Jailbreak the Wii if you haven't yet:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel
also here's DosboxWii's page on wiibrew.org:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dosbox
Hm, looks a little evil, I'll think about while I scheme more diabolical-ness.....ness......yea.

*leaves to play Mario Kart Wii, impersonates Jeremy Clarkson*

POWEEEEEEEEEEEEER!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Ok, if it's illegal then I recommend everyone DOESN'T go to their download page and use a crack.

On the subject of legality, is it legal to install alternate firmware on an MP3 Player such as Rockbox?
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

PWEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT LEGALITY HERE
Flaose or someone should create a legality thread in the misc forums and move it all there. It's so offtopic that it doesn't even fit into the offtopic thread. *facekeen*
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Any illegality would stem from circumvention of routines designed to prevent running pirated software. Even if software piracy is not the intent, console companies get kinda tetchy about it (see also: mod chips, and unlicensed software developers - Super 3D Noah's Ark, anyone?). I feel like there was a ruling in favour of mod chips at one point, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There was a ruling regarding the legality of jailbreaking an iPhone which says that's fine, and reflashing an MP3 player's firmware will like as not just void your warranty. That's mostly besides the point, though. With regards to setting up homebrew on your Wii, the WiiBrew wiki linked assures that installing the Homebrew Channel itself is not illegal (it is indeed warranty-voiding though).

Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Nospike is right. We should move these conversations elsewhere...
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

TerminILL wrote:Any illegality would stem from circumvention of routines designed to prevent running pirated software. Even if software piracy is not the intent, console companies get kinda tetchy about it (see also: mod chips, and unlicensed software developers - Super 3D Noah's Ark, anyone?). I feel like there was a ruling in favour of mod chips at one point, though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for clearing that up TerminILL

So anyway... If you want keen on your Wii you need DOSBox Wii which requires Homebrew and hacking your Wii

OR

Commander Genius Wii which requires Homebrew and hacking your Wii

Either way You need the HBC But it is well worth it. Especially considering you can play DVDs on your Wii too
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hmmmmn, best get this back on topic... but want to dicuss legal issues....

Ok, I think I got it.

Is it legal to include the Dopefish in WoW? Isn't the infringing copyright? :dopefish
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Levellass wrote:Is it legal to include the Dopefish in WoW? Isn't the infringing copyright? :dopefish
Use the fish.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Use the fish Tom! Use the fish!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:Use the fish Tom! Use the fish!
Stretch out with your fishlings
:dopefish :dopefish :dopefish :dopefish :dopefish
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass,

Did you abuse your Admin bestowed powers and hijack my comment to turn it into a thread?

Nevermind... I guess it was Flaose