Criticism for my game trailer?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Criticism for my game trailer?

Post by Ronnie »

Hey all, I'm new to these forums (I'm doing a Keen remake called Keen 2.5D) but from what I've seen so far I think I could gain some valuable insight on all things video games.

I work at Sky Vu, a game dev studio in Omaha, and I was put in charge of creating a trailer for our next update. I read up on what makes a good game trailer, and I'm curious as to your thoughts on how effective it was, did the trailer make you interested in playing the game, what annoyed you about it, etc. I'd appreciate any comments, positive or negative, I'm just interested in getting better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfAyqVJrli4
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Everything that has a dubsteb music in it these days makes it awesomely cool? Anyway, you should add something like "play now at..." or "visit us at...", clickable links etc.. And the music in the end should not have stopped that way. Otherwise it was a funny trailer.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Great trailer! Well done, well done! I'd like to see some scenes through the perspective of a player. Cursor, crosshairs, ammo, gadgets, mini-map, recharge, special ability, First or Third Person... I just have no idea what the game looks like when playing it, y'know what I mean?
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

The fact that you have no idea how the game is played is crucial to free to play game trailers. You have to go make an account to find out if you like the gameplay. That way there's a chance you'll stay with the game.
I don't know how far development has advanced already, I mean if it's obt already or anything like that. But if yes, then a link would definetly help the trailer's success.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

So it's TF2... with Teddy Bears?

Interesting.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

The fact that you have no idea how the game is played is crucial to free to play game trailers. You have to go make an account to find out if you like the gameplay.
Good point. One of the directions I had was to avoid player perspective views (It's a 3rd person shooter btw). I thought of putting it in anyway, but as the trailer came together I felt the focus should be introducing you to the classes, and the GUI would have gotten in the way of that and the shots would have been more difficult to setup. However, you're point is well taken. Would you feel differently if you knew you didn't have to create an account to play?
Anyway, you should add something like "play now at..." or "visit us at...", clickable links etc.. And the music in the end should not have stopped that way.
One of the problems with being a mobile game is you have to appease to both Google and Apple. If I put available on the App Store, Google wouldn't allow the trailer on the Play Store and vice versa. That's why we settled on showing the general devices you can play on. As far as the music go, now that I watch it again, you're right it does stop way too abruptly.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

THIS is battle bears? This is what I've been sent fanart of for the past two weeks. (Not much, but still.) I thought it was some sort of cartoon series!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ronnie
Vortininja

Post by Ronnie »

THIS is battle bears? This is what I've been sent fanart of for the past two weeks. (Not much, but still.) I thought it was some sort of cartoon series
Yea! It's a mobile game series, there are 2 other Battle Bears games BB Zombies and BB -1. You receive BB fan art? What do you mean by that? Just curious :P, we obviously get fan art all the time, our hallway wall is lined with them.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

People I've been following have drawn and/or sent me pictures of bears from 'battle bears' which I have not heard of until now. It just seems to be a thing that has art now.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Levellass wrote:People I've been following have drawn and/or sent me pictures of bears from 'battle bears' which I have not heard of until now. It just seems to be a thing that has art now.
Why do they send the art to you though?

"I drew some bears... I'll show 'lass!"
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

That's because...

she's into the bears art
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Ok, explain that one to me, I don't get the joke or pun.

Keening_Product wrote:
Levellass wrote:People I've been following have drawn and/or sent me pictures of bears from 'battle bears' which I have not heard of until now. It just seems to be a thing that has art now.
Why do they send the art to you though?

"I drew some bears... I'll show 'lass!"

Pretty much because they think it's cute and\or awesome. It's the same reason people send me kitten pictures, memes or catholic jokes.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

And here I was just sitting in silent admiration - I've been doing it wrong all along!

Oh, and Ronnie: defs put the GUI in the trailer - people want to know what they're playing.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

Levellass wrote: I thought it was some sort of cartoon series!
Watch, now that you've said it DHX Media will put out a press release that says they're making Season 1 of Battle Bears and that we should expect it for October 2013.
There was something here, but my yorp ate it.