/

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

/

Post by thehackercat »

/
Last edited by thehackercat on Mon Jan 27, 2020 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

There are a few people here who had compulsory military service - I'll let them name themselves.

But awesome! NASA pilot! That's an amazing career aspiration if I ever heard one - all the best.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'm one of those who refused to do military service in my country and did a year of social services instead (caring for disabled people). so, no. Pretty drastic plan change I have to say going from vet to nasa-
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Pretty drastic plan change I have to say going from vet to nasa-
Not really - now he can go to mars and really be a yorp doctor. :)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

THC by the time i was born australia did away with conscription in the 1970s and i was born in the 1980s. This was done away with by the labor government of former prime minister gough whitlam following years of contempt by the thousand of aussie soliders following the vietnam war who were conscripted into the army
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Someone has found that working with vicious, loud, inconsiderate and dangerous creatures is not for them. It figures.

I hear the pets aren't that good either.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

/

Post by thehackercat »

/
Last edited by thehackercat on Mon Jan 27, 2020 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

thehackercat wrote:Yes, I can imagine that none-too-popular war played a significant part in how people viewed conscription. The United States still has the Selective Service Commission, with which every male must register upon his 18th birthday. But thankfully, our population is sufficiently able to fill our military strictly with volunteers like me. (Didn't stop me from having to register though.)
Pressing this discussion more i would support a reintroduction of compulsory national service in my own country that being Australia of course. Make this mandatory for all male school leavers that they enlist like what happens in Norway that all males on their 18th birthday register for 6 months military training (not send them off to war like under the old system) station them at barracks teach them discipline, respect and how to properly and responsibly use firearms (guns do not kill people, people do) and at the end of the 6 months if they preformed well enough and earned the respect of the drill instructors, offer them a job in the defense forces, this would be an excellent solution to getting people off the dole (unemployment benefits) and working earning an excellent salary and serving their country, new experiences and friends for life right now we have thousands or probably millions of young men who do not work and living off the taxpayers expense because Australia is a country that it's own Government does not force those who can work to work not like the United States that after 6 months of receiving unemployment benefits regrading if you are studying or not you are cut off for life, If you are looking for work and cannot find any then the U.S governments attitude is "See you later" and then you are homeless with no where to go
Up yours Fleexy!
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Rorie wrote:right now we have thousands or probably millions of young men who do not work and living off the taxpayers expense
Uh, I doubt its in the millions- but I think that point in the argument is invalid, since no one really asks or talks about rich people dodging taxes and why people in power get so much money (especially in the US)- why is the talk always about the poorer people and them scrounging off of the tax payers but never the elite and rich?
Fix the elite and rich up first, *then* we can talk about the poorer people. I think thats more fair anyway.
and besides- australia is doing a-ok financially. so theres no problem with the system we have (unless they've been really lying to us about our wealth or something).
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The US is a terrible place and I should hate to ever live there. I have a married friend there, she has no teeth. This is because three years ago she had to have them all cheaply removed. Why? Because she could not afford to go to the dentist after she left school and got a job. There simply wasn't the money and there still isn't.

Get a better job? No time her and hubby are both working and are barely breaking even. A single car problem will strand both of them and likely lose them their jobs. (It's happened before.) They can barely afford to save and moving up in life is pretty much just a dream at this pint. I thought things could get bad here, but we're all living like kings compared to the US.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Levellass wrote:The US is a terrible place and I should hate to ever live there. I have a married friend there, she has no teeth. This is because three years ago she had to have them all cheaply removed. Why? Because she could not afford to go to the dentist after she left school and got a job. There simply wasn't the money and there still isn't.

Get a better job? No time her and hubby are both working and are barely breaking even. A single car problem will strand both of them and likely lose them their jobs. (It's happened before.) They can barely afford to save and moving up in life is pretty much just a dream at this pint. I thought things could get bad here, but we're all living like kings compared to the US.
Are you comparing the US to Australia and New Zealand? Only difference is that New Zealanders make 30 percent less in wages compared to Australia when you convert the nzd/aud exchange rate
Up yours Fleexy!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Its fun bashing the US, isnt it ;)
american people seem to be quite nice though.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

mortimer wrote:
Rorie wrote: responsibly use firearms (guns do not kill people, people do)
In fairness, people with guns also kill people.
No fair. Murder Weapons can range to any number of objects. Usually guns sit in the closet collecting dust, but yikes. Don't you wish you had them when you needed them -- for self-(friend and neighbor)defense, of course.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Are you comparing the US to Australia and New Zealand? Only difference is that New Zealanders make 30 percent less in wages compared to Australia when you convert the nzd/aud exchange rate
Well there are quite a few differences between the US and ANZ. For example NZ (But not Australia) haven't tried to pass any racially based immigration laws lately.The minimum wage is higher, poverty levels lower. Mind, the US abandoned its policy of stealing the children of the underprivileged way before Australia. (Here we went straight from just killing them to oppressing their culture.)

There are fewer differences between NZ and Aussie (Or as we like to call it, the West Island.) Heck, people occasionally talk about uniting the two countries. (We'd have like... all the sporting talent in the WORLD!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowoTZV3wAU But even then it depends what you mean by 'differences'; are we talking only economically? Does culture count? How do we weight those differences?

No fair. Murder Weapons can range to any number of objects. Usually guns sit in the closet collecting dust, but yikes. Don't you wish you had them when you needed them -- for self-(friend and neighbor)defense, of course.
This is the single most ignorant and hateful piece of logic in the gun control debate.

it says 'You are too stupid to know what you believe'

It says 'You have no principles, you lie to yourself'

It is like the old saying that 'there are no atheists in foxholes' It says that the person making this point is better than you, that they know you better than you know yourself. I can make the same kind of argument by saying that you all really believe in God. (My god.) you may say you don't, but deep in your hearts you know I'm right. And when, at the end of your life when you're in bed, passing into the next life you'll break down and admit it.

Now I grew up in a rather shabby place and I have been in situations where crimes have been committed against me. I have been in other situations where I have been threatened and nothing came of it. And I can tell you this most certainly that I have never at the time or after wished I had a gun or other weapon to threaten back. My biggest thoughts have always been 'I wish that this wasn't happening\hadn't happened.'

And I gain great comfort in the knowledge that while I sit here I am unlikely to be burgled and shot. My children are safe in their schools and even if I should abandon all sense and move to Australia (Where I will not be able to get any of the social security benefits available to Aussie citizens.) the firearm homicide rate there is so wonderfully low because their last mass shooting prompted them to toughen up and actually stop any more from happening: http://current.com/shows/the-young-turk ... s-violence

Ok, rant's over.