Math Rescue secret?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Math Rescue secret?

Post by MortimerInBlack »

Ah, these were the days. Anyone remember or still have Math Rescue episode 1?

Level 12 is subtitled "Where's Milo?" and I have not been able to find anyone in the level at all, let alone someone named Milo. Strangely, at the end, it tells me that secret areas found is at 100%.

So is there something I'm missing? I would really like to find this secret if it exists. BTW google turns up nothing :(
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I remember that subtitle! However, I was too young at the time to really stop and wonder what the name meant. That one was a cave level, right?

I wish I still had that game...
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

You can still get the shareware episode for free at the 3drealms website. and yes, it is a cavel level.

i guess no1 else played that game :/
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Cave level + Milo = Crystal Caves Reference
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Interesting. On the 3drealms Crystal Cave page, his name is spelled "Mylo" but in MR1 its' "Where's Milo?". At least now I know who to look for. Perhaps I should try Crystal Caves for any clue as to where this Mylo is.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I think it's just like "Hey, this is a cave, so where's Milo?" Not like "Milo is hidden here, where is he?" I doubt he's really there.

Although I've never played (or even heard of) the game, so I wouldn't know.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

This was one of the 'second generation' of DOS games I played (i.e. the second lot of games that were added to my 386 by my uncle, which included Keen 5). It has a strange flavour of nostalgia to it. I have a vague recollection of the Mi/ylo reference, and it's most likely just that, rather than alluding to something hidden in the level.

Is there a level editor for MR/WR? If so, you could just load up the level and search through it that way...
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I was just playing the first episode of Math Rescue. Wow, nostalgia... :disguised I haven't gotten to the cave levels yet, but I imagine that I won't find anybody that looks like Mylo.

And as for the level editor thing...that would be cool if one existed, for either Math or Word Rescue.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I remember playing Math Rescue and I think Word Rescue as well, but I don't think I've played either for quite a long time. As others have said, it's probably a reference to Crystal Caves. The different spelling is probably an mistake or an inconsistency, like how Duke Nukem is referred to as Duke Nukum in episode 2 of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure (If I remember that correctly, and also I vaguely remember there being some other reason, possibly copyright-related, for that alternate spelling).
szevvy
Vortininja

Post by szevvy »

There is no Mylo image in any of the data, so I'd say it's just a clever name and you can't actually find him. Unless, of course, there's a picture made from tiles somewhere in the level or the entire level is in the shape of him or somesuch.
Calvero
Vortininja

Post by Calvero »

Why don't you just ask/email the author of the game. According to her Apogee Legacy interview "she really values the emails she gets from players of her games. It gives her a real lift to know that folks appreciate what she created."
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

Wow, I remember that game! ^_^
The wording of the problems always made me LOL.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

elecdude33 wrote:I remember playing Math Rescue and I think Word Rescue as well, but I don't think I've played either for quite a long time. As others have said, it's probably a reference to Crystal Caves. The different spelling is probably an mistake or an inconsistency, like how Duke Nukem is referred to as Duke Nukum in episode 2 of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure (If I remember that correctly, and also I vaguely remember there being some other reason, possibly copyright-related, for that alternate spelling).
From the Apogee/3DRealms FAQ:
There is frequently a great deal of confusion over the correct spelling of one
of Apogee's most prized characters, Duke Nukem. The original spelling for the
name was "Duke Nukem"; however, during the code fix stage between v1.0 and
v2.0 of the original game, Apogee found a character overseas named "Duke
Nukem" that was thought to be copyrighted. So, for v2.0 of the original Duke
game, the name was changed to "Duke Nukum." Then, during the programming of
Duke II, it was discovered that the character they found overseas was not
copyrighted after all -- and so the original name was reinstated. "Duke
Nukem" is also the spelling used in all successive games that featured the
character.

The spellings "Duke Nuke 'em," "Duke Nuke'um," "Duke Nuke'm," "Duke Nuk'em"
and other variations are not, and were never, correct.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

like how Duke Nukem is referred to as Duke Nukum in episode 2 of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure (If I remember that correctly, and also I vaguely remember there being some other reason, possibly copyright-related, for that alternate spelling).
You do remember correctly. I have been playing Cosmo 2 and recently found the spelling to be "Nukum".

Perhaps I will email her there. I am kinda' dissapointed that there is no Mylo tho--those Math Rescue levels have a lot of secret passages and such.
szevvy
Vortininja

Post by szevvy »

I'm trying to figure out how the compression works on levels, so there might be something hidden - but like I said, it's more likely to be in the shape of level geometry than anything else.