Rename the "The Classics" subforum?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Rename the board "The Classics" to something else?

"Games"
5%
"Video and Computer Games" or just "Video Games"
10%
"Other Games" (as in games other than Commander Keen)
35%
Change it to something else (please specify)
No votes
Keep the current name, "The Classics"
50%

Total votes: 20

entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Rename the "The Classics" subforum?

Post by entropicdecay »

It seems to me that it might be a good idea to rename "The Classics". The name seems to indicate it's for discussing either DOS games or possibly retro games in general, which it does mostly seem to be used for, but not always. So although it's not particularly important it would be nice for it to be more clear that discussion of newer and/or console games would go there rather than in Miscellaneous or The Theater.

Edit: After reading the forum description I realised it does mention console games, so that doesn't require clarifying. It's simply whether newer games (such as Duke Nukem Forever, although that's part of a series that started with DOS games, so perhaps that's why discussion of it goes there) being discussed there breaks the rules of the forum that's the issue renaming the forum would clarify. And if, in fact, only new games that are part of a series that started with games that are considered retro games now can be discussed there, I guess all discussion of new games that don't fit that category should go to The Theatre or something.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I voted the last one as mostly it's about classics, I've got used to that name, and I've never had any problem if someone posts something about newer games there. Maybe it'd be a problem if there were constant flow of such topics, but there isn't.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

Upon reconsidering I think a rename is probably not necessary, for the most part people understand about what can be posted there...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

"Maybe it'd be a problem if there were constant flow of such topics, but there isn't."

Of course there aren't! It's the subject of the subforum that makes it like that. If you rename it with a more general name, there would be more topics for newer games. And there are a plenty of newer games these days...
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

Why not just create a subforum or another forum for newer games?
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Bumping for relevancy.

Rename to "Other Games"
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

You're a fucl retard. :celtic
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Calm down Galaxie - what's suddenly wrong?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

viewtopic.php?t=1484
You guys. Stop.

This topic is two years old.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

How about Rule 4? I'm pretty sure that includes flaming.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

That was rule 3, but funnily enough there's nothing in there about bumping topics (and I hadn't noticed how old it was). Anyway, this topic is probably more relevant now with the changes that are going on...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

I notice galaxie's always sounding excessively annoyed nowadays.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Ok, just to clear this up: this should be a place for people who love the commander keen games, which are usually people who like classic gaming. That's why there is a "The Classics" forum apart from "Miscellaneous".
If you want to discuss the latest games, you could always use Misc, so that it has some topics with content. If you feel you need a platform exactly for the latest games, go join another forum where that is the aim.
Having said that, a lot of games qualify as "classic" so I really don't see a problem there.
Also if I change that, people might suddenly want an extra forum for movies, and one for music instead of the all too general "Theater", and maybe a "Politics" forum. Not gonna happen guys. srsly
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

I agree with tulip.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

If the majority of Commander Keen fans are "retro-gamers" (hate the term, but I guess that's technically what I would be considered as well), then that is most likely what they would talk about in a general gaming forum. You're acting like you're worried that people will talk about modern games more than old games. Don't get me wrong, 90% of the games I like came out in the early 90's, but that doesn't mean you should pigeon-hole the designated "other games" area exclusively for old games. I just don't think that modern games like DNF belong in the same sub-forum as "It's my birthday today!". >:

I'm not sure why everyone seems to be so pissy with me lately. I've tried to be kind to everyone here, but lately it has become very apparent that I am not welcome on these boards. (or at least that's the feeling I'm getting)

I apologize if any of my comments offended anybody, or if I've caused trouble here or made it an unpleasant\offensive experience to browse this site. This seemed like a warm, welcoming, and fun community of die-hard Keeners, which seemed appealing to me, but if there's going to be all this drama then I suppose I'll grab my things and go. :|