Hiya! :) (Introduction)

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Hiya! :) (Introduction)

Post by wolfcub7 »

Hi, I'm a guy around thirty years old, and back in the day Commander Keen games were and still are my absolute favourite PC games, alongside Wacky Wheels, Micro Machines, Doom and Duke Nukem.

I never played that much the first three Keen games because they were annoying as hell with the stiff movements and having to repeat the level over and over and over again every time you'd die...So I mostly played 4, 5 and 6 which are awesome and much more pleasent in movements...I think I did actually beat one of the first three games too...once...I don't know, but recently I've returned to the past on video and PC games and have decided I'll beat the first trilogy now! :D

Yeah, I bought back my Sega Mega Drive and my favourite games for it and dug out the late '80s and '90s PC games too and purchased some of them if a Shareware has only a few levels.

Aaand I got hooked on the Keen games again. Addicted almost. I've lost a lot of sleep because I can't quit!

By watching a Let's Play video of Keen 6 on YouTube, I also found out about the unofficial final trilogy by Ceilick, tried it and it's great! Currently I'm in the last game and it's my favourite of the three mods. :)

I'm so happy I found this forum to share and ease my newly-found addiction with this game series. :D

And I see there are many other fan-made games too. Can anyone recommend the best ones? :)

Apart from videogaming, my favourite hobbies are creative writing, making fan-videos and watching movies.

I haven't played newer PC games much...exept Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire from 2005 I think. My Playstation 2 has a couple of games like The Lord of the Rings, Van Helsing and Crazy Taxi.
But nothing beats Sega games among consoles. <3

I haven't played much video/PC games since my teenage years because I got into forum roleplaying (which is based on creative writing), and now that I'm returning to video/PC games actively, I find myself totally a retro-gamer.
I honestly couldn't care less for new games. It's not like I dislike them or wouldn't play if someone asked me to or happened to come across an interesting one, but I wouldn't specifically look for or buy them.

It's great to be here and now I'm going to snoop around the forums! :)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Welcome!
Please feel free to stop by the Keen Wiki to check out all the great mods and info there: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Main_Page
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Grimson
The Dragoner

Re: Hiya! :) (Introduction)

Post by Grimson »

wolfcub7 wrote:And I see there are many other fan-made games too. Can anyone recommend the best ones? :)
Definitely Ruin of Roib (my current favourite!), Terror From Outer Space, Valentine's Keen a.k.a. Valentine's Bash (if you know Monster Bash, you'll like this one) and Mink's Puzzle Pack (this one has interesting and fun gameplay). I haven't played NetKeen myself but I know people love it (it's an online multiplayer Keen game).

You can find them all at the Release section.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Heh, it's good to be you now, especially being a keen fan from that extincting breed of weird gamers, who don't care much about the modern gaming. Now you have the opportunity to play and enjoy all these mods that have been developed all these years.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

That's why I try to spread Keen to younger people :D

Also, Welcome wolfcub7!
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Hey, hey! Welcome, Wolf Cub!

Yes sir-ee, all the mods Grimson mentioned above are must-plays!
Great Galaxy mods galore! And there are still mind-blowing Galaxy mods in the making! (Atroxian Realm by Gridlock & company, and Suburb Shenanigans by Bubbatom. Speaking of Bubbatom, be sure to check out The Eight Accumulators. It's just fantastic.)
How about Keen Dreams? Have you played that one?
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Other_Mods
There's Ceilick's Keen Dreams Plus, an enhanced version of Dreams, which is really quite excellent. Also check out Commander Keen Xmas 2010.

I'm still working on my Introduction Post. I'm saving it for when I release my first Keen mod. :p
Again, a jolly good welcome to you, and maybe you'd like to make a Keen mod of your own. :)
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Don't forget the overlooked, and often unappreciated, collection of "Vorticons" mods to check out, such as Retrosis, the XkyKeen trilogy, Halloween Horrors, Clouds Unseen, Comrade Keen, Fall Up, Bobrick Tower, and much more.
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

Oh my God. I need to write all those down. Didn't realize there are that many out there! Oh boy...My Keen-addiction isn't going anywhere any time soon, I see... :P

Thank you all, for the welcomes and recommendations!! :)

Oh yeah, and yes I've played Keen Dreams. I think it was too easy and it was a pain not to be able to look down or up or hang from ledges, but otherwise quite fun. But definitely my least favourite out of the official series. And I'll definitely check out that Dreams Plus! :D
Last edited by wolfcub7 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 19:47, edited 2 times in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

If I recall there are upwards of 200 mods out there. About 1/3 a ugh, 1/3 are pretty good and the rest are awesome.

PROTIP: If KeenRush made the mod you're playing... don't. Just don't. You cannot win, your mind will break under the stress.

And welcome to he forums, we're always happy to greet another helpless victim of EGA stylings.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I think that ratio sounds about right. I haven't played many Keen mods that I actually "hated", but then again I'm pretty selective about what I let into my mods folder.
Bananasaurus is surely a classic as well, though I think it's still pending a final release if I recall correctly.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Paramultart wrote:Don't forget the overlooked, and often unappreciated, collection of "Vorticons" mods to check out, such as Retrosis, the XkyKeen trilogy, Halloween Horrors, Clouds Unseen, Comrade Keen, Fall Up, Bobrick Tower, and much more.
u forgot Shmaynoria :P Keen Q, Keen 0 in an odd way, everything mentioned above and a ton of others I still need to play. Also try Mr. Black's Keen 3 levelpack.

It's always great to see new people enthusiastic about the classics. :) I agree, mods of all sorts are a great way to get into the community. There are a ton, as has been established already, and more keep coming. Whatever you're here for, welcome and it's great to have you!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Mr.Black has a Keen 3 Levelpack? I didn't even know that.
Check out his Keen 4 Levelpack, too.
And yes sir-ee, Bananasaurus is all kinds of awesome. If you don't like or can't get into Vorticons, Bananasaurus is the perfect fix.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Shmaynoria is also a must.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Paramultart wrote:Don't forget the overlooked, and often unappreciated, collection of "Vorticons" mods to check out, such as Retrosis, the XkyKeen trilogy, Halloween Horrors, Clouds Unseen, Comrade Keen, Fall Up, Bobrick Tower, and much more.
Definitely these. I did not mean to diss Vorticon mods in any way.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Cobalt
Vorticon Elite

Post by Cobalt »

A megadrive fan! :D
Did you know Sonic 3 & Knuckles is on DOS? It's right up there with Commander Keen as a classic PC classic!

As for Keen mods, my sonic mods will be great. It's a combo of two of the greatest PC games ever!
I'm the cool blue keener.