Everything I have is being ruined

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Everything I have is being ruined

Post by Levellass »

Someone is in my gmail, they've got all my stuff.

They changed the password and my backup email address so I can't reset my password.

Google says they can send me a new password if I can magically remember the exact date I started my google account.

THEY'RE DELETING ALL MY STUFF! I CAN SEE IT VANISHING! WHAT DO I DO?!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Oh my :(

Although chances are it won't help or even be relevant, maybe there is a different possibility:

Did you ever receive a mail in some other email box on the day of registration? Or even got a message in some other way I'm not sure was ever supported (like an SMS)?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

This is terrible news.

How on earth could you have been hacked? And why would anyone have a vendetta against you? This seriously bothers me.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

jeez, what sortof stuff do you have in there levellass? nearly all my emails are spam and a few backs and forth with a few people.
do you do that 'cloud' stuff or something?
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Was it someone you know who knew your password? How otherwise could they change your password and recovery address? I guess e-mail is not at all secure. I know there are hackers - one particular address in Beijing I think - who brute force gmail in general. But when they tried mine, I got a warning message and was told to change password immediately. Anyhow hopefully you can get some control over your things again.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

This has actually happened to my old gmail account when I tried to abuse it to get 500mb more free space on dropbox. It's the end of the world as we know it :(
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

UPDATE: I managed to halt the damage by getting someone with a gmail account to alert google (Somehow. I assume tech magic.)

They got a lot of my dropbox stuff, but a lot of that was shared so I can get it back and I have most of the rest on backup, so it'll take a few days to get back to square 1, but I think I didn't loose too much.

Oddly my recovery email address refuses to change, it's still a string of profanity and ASCII symbols.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Dropbox does have an undelete feature, you know. (Unless they did do the permanent delete.) Also, I'm sitting on some ridiculously massive hard drives that I can't fill; I'd be happy to hold back-ups for you.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Ehrm, was your password Sarah123? :dead :crazy
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Maybe it's a keylogger that got you?
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

How were you able to see your stuff being deleted without the password?

Did anything happen near that time that might've been indicative of an intrusion? Program crashes, slowing down, unusual errors..

12345? That's the same combination as my luggage!
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

*steals KeenEmpire's luggage*
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

KeenEmpire wrote:How were you able to see your stuff being deleted without the password?
She mentioned something about Dropbox, probably received file-delete notifications constantly.
StupidBunny wrote:*steals KeenEmpire's luggage*
*steals KeenEmpire's/StupidBunny's luggage and changes the code*
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

wiivn wrote:Ehrm, was your password Sarah123? :dead :crazy
Actually it was GargsonMars (The G and M stood for GMail which was a memory aid.)

KeenEmpire wrote:How were you able to see your stuff being deleted without the password?
All the files in my public folder started to go, anyone can see those.

KeenEmpire wrote:Did anything happen near that time that might've been indicative of an intrusion? Program crashes, slowing down, unusual errors..
Not that I know of, I run a pretty neat (if old) ship. There's probably plenty of unsupported flaws on it, but nothing unusual happened.

Fleexy wrote:*steals KeenEmpire's/StupidBunny's luggage and changes the code*
*Transforms into MegaMaid 1*
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Woah, you weren't kidding. All of the links you posted from your public Dropbox folder in the Roib thread are gone.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"