Happy Halloween 2013

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Happy Halloween 2013

Post by Paramultart »

:pumpkeen
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

isn't halloween tomorrow? 8)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Yeah, I wanted to get a head start before my foreign friends beat me to it. :disguised
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

and the americanisation of the whole planet roles on!
Happy Halloween everyone!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Americanization? Halloween? Not the way us Celt-bloods celebrate it.
You, sir, need a history lesson:
http://youtu.be/Yss3ZOCLrwQ

Even if some of our modern traditions stemmed from early America, at least it's something positive we've given the world. :pumpkeen
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

You, sir, need a history lesson
na. im 2 cool 4 school 8)
actually i wont open that youtube vid cause my internet is dial-up and really slow :(

but yeah i know that halloween apparently stems from a few places. like the mexican day of the dead. but when you get down to it its really an american thing. with the trick-or-treating and the dressing up as a monster.
theres nothing bad about that ofcourse :p it'd just be nice if some other western nations, such as my own, could come up with their own fucling traditions for a change :(

well halloween isnt really big in australia but it is catching on. i bought a halloween themed pumpkin head cake at the shop yesterday for instance.
if people start trick or treating here than thats it! im moving to new zealand. (move in with levellass).
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Got any keen-like pumpkin carving ideas? :pogo
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Oíche Shamhna shona daoibh uilig!!

And as always, you must spend your Hallowed Eve playing this quintessential masterpiece.

In all seriousness, though its roots lie, among others, in the celtic feast of Samhain (which in Irish is synonymous both with Halloween and with November), what we celebrate here is 99% the american version, complete with piles of pumpkins and decorations. But sure there's nothing wrong with it being an american custom anyway - and it is nice to embellish it with a few local customs. I don't know how universal Barm Brack is (fruit bread with some imitation diamond rings hidden within), and also colcannon (a mixture of mashed potato and cabbage or kale, often with coins hidden within it for consumers to joyously find).
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Benvolio wrote:And as always, you must spend your Hallowed Eve playing this quintessential masterpiece.
But of course! It's only one of my favorite mods! Thanks, Benvolio.

Here's a treat...
One of my favorite Halloween animated shorts:
http://youtu.be/czlSc6kYegg

Mwuahahahaha... :pumpkeen
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I hate Halloween and how the big stores have slowly and surely been pushing it on us to sell costumes and candy. meanwhile we're losing bonfire night (Nov 5th, a glorious remembrance of our British heritage where we get to burn effigies.)

In retaliation for this insult against our culture and morals I am striking back against the rising tide of sugar coated obesity. if any children knock on my door tonight (It is Halloween here and now) they're going to get the most soul-crushing thing I can give.

Carrot sticks and a dental hygiene brochure.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Not something that is commonly celebrated in Australia! Just another American Fad Consuming Australian Society! Which is why personally if any kid knocks on my door and says Trick or Treat I am going to kindly send them on their way and say Sorry do not believe in Halloween, Australia keeps their nose out of American Culture so I expect Americans to do the same when it comes to being Australian
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

You should totally do that. Going up to a house and getting a semi-nationalist speech about the evils of globalization is totally the difference between a boring Halloween and an awesome one for lots of kids.

And I'm not really even kidding that much here. :pumpkeen
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Eh, Halloween means something else for me. :birthday Tomorrow's my 25th.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

This year's Halloween is a DIZASTUR!!1!2!!!1!
I was extremely disappointed by another half-assed TF2 update, this time a Halloween "special" one that made the game crash and transformed my favorite map into a laggy mess.
I did finally acquire Killing Floor though. Very neat game indeed.
And we still don't celebrate Halloween in our country. :(
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Levellass wrote:I hate Halloween and how the big stores have slowly and surely been pushing it on us to sell costumes and candy. meanwhile we're losing bonfire night (Nov 5th, a glorious remembrance of our British heritage where we get to burn effigies.)
Saying you hate Halloween because of commercialization is like saying you hate Keen because of the GBC game. Also, there's no reason to let your own traditions die... In fact, one of my favorite things to do this time of year is have a bonfire; it's a good way to get in the fall spirit and commemorate my pagan ancestors.

It upsets me when people think Halloween is strictly for kids and is all about candy. This mentality leads churches to put on "Trunk'R Treats", which is essentially waiting in a big line around a parking lot getting free candy without any suspense, mystery or danger that makes traditional trick'r treating fun. Unfortunately, this diluted, bastardized edition of "Halloween", which they seldom even call it for religious reasons, is the most people do for kids around here.

I find that most parties geared for young adults are pretty horrible as well. It'll either be a sleezy party with rap music, slutty costumes and all about "gettin' crunked" and grinding on strangers... Or for the snobs, parties where people congregate to drink PBR, listen to Death Cab for Cute and see who can come up with the most "ironic" costume.

Even the children's costumes these days are terrible. No one dresses up like traditional or original monsters anymore, it's just stupid TV show characters and pop stars and it boils my blood.
In retaliation for this insult against our culture and morals I am striking back against the rising tide of sugar coated obesity. if any children knock on my door tonight (It is Halloween here and now) they're going to get the most soul-crushing thing I can give.

Carrot sticks and a dental hygiene brochure.
Ooh, free vegetables? Yes, please!
The obsession over candy on Halloween kind of sickens me. I would actually like to see Halloween become more like "Thanksgiving" than what it currently is. It should be focused more on the harvest, the season, and togetherness... Things like bonfires, games and activities, storytelling, and of course spooky costumes... That's what my ideal Halloween would be. I tried to host something like that last year with my family and it didn't go too well, because they're awful, detached, unsentimental people with mental problems.

To provide some insight to my obsession with Halloween, I should note that as a child I fell victim to "the satanic panic" and "pagan invasion" nonsense in the 90's, so for many years I had to spend the glorious night in the back yard with my stupid mom and her stupid Christian friends as they talked about how sinful and evil everyone was.
Since my rebellious teenage years, I've desperately tried to reclaim the things I was deprived as a child.

...Aaaaand here's another favorite animated short:
http://youtu.be/xB35NJZ79eI