Oculus Rift

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
tulip
Flower Pot

Oculus Rift

Post by tulip »

I wondered if anyone of you guys has pondered into the world of virtual reality yet.

This week we tried Oculus Rift at our company, I rode a rollercoaster and played a few minutes of Half Life 2. Everyone got extremely sick using it though, one of my company managed to play for about 20-30 minutes, but didn't feel that good when doing that. Some of my colleagues almost threw up after a minute. Luckily I don't have such a sensitive stomach, but while being extremely cool it made me nauseous, too, after 5 minutes.

So has anyone of you had any experience with that kind of technology?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

The closest thing would be the Virtual boy or the 3DS. Neither made me sick, but made my head hurt after maybe 30 minutes.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Pretty sure I'd lose any signs of a social life and become a creepy recluse if I tried Mass Effect with that.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Oh wow, Tulip.
I've heard of the Rift, but I didn't think it was that intense to use!
Maybe in the future when I have money, I'll invest in one alongside the Doom 3: BFG Edition and Rage.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Funny enough I just discovered the existence of this a couple days ago. It was pretty surprising to discover that John Carmack is involved.
This week we tried Oculus Rift at our company, I rode a rollercoaster and played a few minutes of Half Life 2. Everyone got extremely sick using it though, one of my company managed to play for about 20-30 minutes, but didn't feel that good when doing that. Some of my colleagues almost threw up after a minute. Luckily I don't have such a sensitive stomach, but while being extremely cool it made me nauseous, too, after 5 minutes.
I haven't tried it myself, although it's kind of disheartening to hear that this can cause pretty strong side effects. I've wondered what it would be like to be totally immersed in a game. How was the actual virtual reality experience?
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Some days ago I was actually thinking of opening a topic about this. :) So, yes, I've tried it, and thought it was the coolest tech I've ever tried. Seriously, I loved it, and I seldom get excited about things like this. This is the way 3D games/worlds should be seen. I also saw the rollercoaster demo but didn't feel nauseous except at one point of the track, which made the speed of it feel more real (also the first time this has happened to me when watching something on a "screen"). So I guess I'll invest in this technology at some point, possibly when it's more mainstream and cheaper and there are some interesting games for it. (I haven't checked what they have right now.) Also, the fact that they have Carmack in the team is promising. Might be interesting to see how 2D games like Keen would work in this kind of immersing environment.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The holodeck will be the last technology man creates. We'll go extinct after that, the last human perishing at age 96 surrounded by a harem of 128 virtual women.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

The human race will live on, succeeded by our holographic descendants.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

hay gus robots have souls cuz glitches r "ghosts in the machin"
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

When we make extraterrestrial contact in 2024 we will be shocked to find out that though we have minds and souls, we lack the zifqifmib, which all other truly conscious life has. As such we are declared 'meat machines' and used to probe the alien mind.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

KeenRush wrote:Might be interesting to see how 2D games like Keen would work in this kind of immersing environment.
I can think of nothing more terrifying than one of your mods with virtual reality capability.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Keening_Product wrote:
KeenRush wrote:Might be interesting to see how 2D games like Keen would work in this kind of immersing environment.
I can think of nothing more terrifying than one of your mods with virtual reality capability.
The mod linked above, (colloquially "Episode Smile," or just "Smile" as it bears the name of the original game on which it was based.) is a reconstruction of that produced by an unknown retro game fan, "VirtuKeen in Episode Smile" produced by the PCKF (now, obviously, defunct) at some point in 2015.

This game, along with several others inadvertently produced - most infamously 'A New Dope' and the mods produced by a programming error in "Levellord's modding tutorial" - generates patterns the human visual system cannot easily deal with. This so-called 'Godelian shock input' can, to put it crudely, crash the human brain. The image does not usually produce any immediate effect (due to delayed neurochemical encoding of 'Godelian spoilers'), but is usually triggered several days later upon viewing any repetitive image that triggers the memory into recalling the original.
Captainkeen
Vortininja

Post by Captainkeen »

I know this technologie has existed for a while because I saw on tv a long time ago that people would get this device to simulate hight to evercome fear of hights. I always wondered why this hadn't been developed for games for a larger audience. I gues it's finnaly close to being developed in a way that many people can afford it. I'll be very interested to try.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

3D and VR are ideas that people always want to try but can never quite make work. I'm actually surprised 3D seems to have 'taken' this time around, and it's still beset by problems.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I hear Kairo (moderately obscure puzzle game, LP'd by Kurt J. Mac) is going to get support for the OR soon.