The 90s

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Rorie wrote:and there was also a clay motion fill in on ABC TV Australia called The Trap Door, I absolutely loved it.
I'm no nineties kid, but The Trap Door would have to be the best kids show ever! I have the whole two series on DVD. Children's television these days is complete garg, well at least in Australia.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Willie Rushton (Trap Door, which I believe is actually from the 80s) is awesome, but why is there no love here for Plasmo?

The Big Knights too! Admittedly that started on the very edge of the 90s (and only made it to Aus in the 00s, so I can't claim it as a 90s thing but others here can) but how is that not making it to anyone's list?
Charge!

I remember the discovery of some asteroid in the mid-late 90s making it to the news - was it supposed to have a trajectory near earth or something?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Nearly my only experience with Australian children's TV is this exact episode of this show, which unfortunately won't play on any of my browsers and thus deprives me of a potentially surreal nostalgic experience.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Since there are quite a few Aussies here, and since I recently went on a nostalgia trip (now I have The Trap Door theme in my playlist, that's got to be one of the best theme songs ever) does anyone remember the name of that filler show on the ABC where the two plasticine balls would roll around on a white background, changing into different shapes and objects? I don't ever remember there being any talking, but there was lots of silly sound effects. I seem to remember them being presented as cavemen, but perhaps that was just one episode.

Does anyone remember that show?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

StupidBunny wrote:I remember hearing about the Bosnian War on the news. I had no idea who NATO or Kosovo were though. Just that bad stuff was happing to people somewhere far away.
Ditto. Except for me it was people somewhere near.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

StupidBunny: must be geolocked as it works fine in FF on Ubuntu for me. The ABC does a fair bit of geolocking. Try an Australian proxy or one of the other area workarounds, my FLV downloader can't figure out how to get the file.
Malvineous wrote:Since there are quite a few Aussies here, and since I recently went on a nostalgia trip (now I have The Trap Door theme in my playlist, that's got to be one of the best theme songs ever) does anyone remember the name of that filler show on the ABC where the two plasticine balls would roll around on a white background, changing into different shapes and objects? I don't ever remember there being any talking, but there was lots of silly sound effects. I seem to remember them being presented as cavemen, but perhaps that was just one episode.

Does anyone remember that show?
It rings bells. The description also reminded me of Soup Opera. That show was rad.

It wasn't a part of Lift-off was it? I hardly remember the show but it had a lot of different bits, including animations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJJ1h_eRjUc

I never watched Gumby, but it was in my suggested videos after watching that Lift-off clip and sorta matches your description, Malv: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcoKEsaoa6I

Also, Lil' Elvis and the Truckstoppers was super rad. Whenever I see Clive Palmer I think of the mining magnate on that show. The image below doesn't do that memory justice, this clip gets a little closer though: http://youtu.be/2XIgdjVpbgY?t=4m52s

Oh, and ofc, 'Round the Twist.

Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

It's a similar type of claymation to Gumby but it wasn't part of another show - it was put on in the five minute gap between other shows. IIRC it was only on in the early 90s because I don't remember seeing it when I was older.

I loved Round The Twist too. I also just finished re-watching Spellbinder, which surprised me because it was still quite good to watch even now as an adult.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Malvineous wrote: Does anyone remember that show?
Sounds like "plonsters" to me. The show featured three plasticine guys that would transform into various objects and animals depending on the setting of the episode.

Also soup opera. These are the shows I miss. They make little sense, but mean so much compared to today's tv.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

What're you talking about? Soup Opera made perfect sense!

MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Not sure how accurate this is buuut....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EtduaQUIl4

So am I supposed to feel old from this? :old
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

We got the original MLP in the 90s, a bit late but it was ok. Preferred the second series though.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

You mean the 1992 series "My Little Pony Tales", right?
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I was born in '90.
Yeah, piece of cake!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Paramultart wrote:You mean the 1992 series "My Little Pony Tales", right?
Oh, yes. I only remember one episode of that show, one with "lava demons" and "ice orcs" who had a feud of some kind. Don't remember much else besides that and a bit of the theme song, it was a very long time ago.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Paramultart wrote:You mean the 1992 series "My Little Pony Tales", right?
That's he one alright. It was the one that stripped out all magic (Except for the UFO episode, they couldn't resist) and had interesting plots such as the time a happily adopted orphan pony was faced with the prospect of having to leave her home for her real parents.

It had actual male characters with different personalities.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.