Welcome to the new PCKF!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Welcome to the new PCKF!

Post by Flaose »

Hey all, well here we are. :) Obviously there's still a lot of work to do, so we need everyone's opinion!

First of all, you'll notice that none of the old posts are here. He (or she) who wishes to be in charge of that will get to work with Andy on it. Also, the icons ("New Posts", etc.) are missing. Why? So we can make new ones if we want!

Everything here is quite flexible, so if you like it, or you don't, say so!

You'll also notice that there are no longer any "poll" forums. It'll probably stay this way unless we run into some unforeseen problems.

Also, I'm personally a little iffy on having a modding sub-forum...it was hardly used on the old PCKF, and with Keen: Modding, I don't see a real use for it.

So yeah, suggestions, comments, concerns, post them here!

edit: I figure two-and-a-half years is long enough for a sticky!
Last edited by Flaose on Wed Mar 31, 2010 18:26, edited 2 times in total.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

I agree with the Modding subforum, it's not really needed when there's a dedicated forum. It would be nice to have a link to the K:M forum somewhere though for newcomers, as well as having a place to archive old posts.

On that note, is it really worth migrating all the posts across to phpBB, or would it be easier to just mirror the ezBoard site? Then we wouldn't be cluttering the new forum with the old posts, and we wouldn't have people bringing really old discussions to the top again.

My one suggestion is that we need an icon sitting at http://pckf.keenmodding.org/favicon.ico - it makes the pages much easier to recognise when they all have a specific icon, especially when you have multiple tabs open.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Am I the only one who thinks it's insane that such a small community as we are is divided over two different forums. I had my hopes up that these two forums could merge now Andy was going to host up, there are plenty of possibilities to do this in satisfying way for everyone.
Why this is not the case is beyond me.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Forum Lives!

Post by Commander Spleen »

I can see we're going to have some issues with activation emails. Gmail marked mine as spam. Might want to add something to the sign-up page that mentions this and perhaps offers some way of contacting an admin. Though already it's a better situation than ezBoard's apparent tendency to completely not send out the email...

The title of the confirmation email could use some work. "Welcome to Public Commander Keen Forum Forums" would sound better as "Welcome to the Public Commander Keen Forum".

Incidentally,

WOOHOO!
Djaser wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it's insane that such a small community as we are is divided over two different forums.
As far as I see it, merging both forums into one would've made things to cluttered. However, it would be nice to see more communication between the two boards, such as sharing usernames. Did this prove impractical?

At any rate, I am glad to finally see this place come to life. It's been far too long! All it's missing is recliner chairs.
adurdin
Grunt

Post by adurdin »

PCKF vs K:M? But the PCKF has always been the forum for Keen fans to hang out together, talk about Keening and other stuff. K:M is specifically about modding, and modding only -- and is meant as a resource for modding. It's not a general discussion board.

Favicon? Good idea. Email it to me and I'll put it up.

One other thing -- Apart from the first couple of weeks while the board is set up, I won't be moderating or administering the PCKF, though I will of course still administer K:M and the keenmodding.org server.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

I'm curious; has the EZboard forum been archived and u just can't convert, or has nothing been done about it?
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

As much as I would be FOR merging the two forums together... I agree in that it would make things cluttered. And you also have to keep in mind, Commander Keen is not JUST modding. I, myself, have never gotten into (as much I would LOVE to) moding.

I simply see the PCKF as a general discussion. There is no reason to mergers the two.

And... WOO HOO new forumz!

Oh and um...
:begging <-- Wtf? :confused
[size=0]And what a day to do it on too... geeze.[/size]
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
Spikenexus
Vortininja

Post by Spikenexus »

I've just browsed all of the subforums, and I haven't been logged out once yet! Excellent.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Malvineous wrote:we wouldn't have people bringing really old discussions to the top again.
There are legitimate reasons to do this, though. For instance, I always search the theater's old posts to see if someone's made a thread on the same subject before making my own.
Nickssoft
Vortininja

Post by Nickssoft »

Removed
Last edited by Nickssoft on Sat Sep 19, 2020 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Gal wrote: :begging <-- Wtf? :confused
I was glad when that emoticon was removed a couple of years ago. Now it looks like it's going to be the definitive logo of the PCKF move.

Also, the emoticons need to have some alt-text set on them. Copying :begging results in simply 'Begging', which is rather inconvenient. Copying them in ezBoard worked nicely in that regard.
Blue
The Big Foot

Yay

Post by Blue »

I am quite happy with the move, that's all i can really say.
Although i thought the transition would be done when the ezboard pckf went back to ads.
Oh well, nothing to complain there. I dont mind the posts not being backed up. If anything, the majority of the threads were stale anyway. The old posts wont be going anywhere unless ezboard gets hacked again haha.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Re: Forum Lives!

Post by Djaser »

Commander Spleen wrote:
Djaser wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it's insane that such a small community as we are is divided over two different forums.
As far as I see it, merging both forums into one would've made things to cluttered. However, it would be nice to see more communication between the two boards, such as sharing usernames. Did this prove impractical?
I've seen forums working with 55 active subforums. Instead we have now two different communities that are distant from each other. There have been mods released that I didn't even hear of just because they were never posted on the pckf. Or worse, a release topic is posted on both forum and both topics get stuck at 5 comments because the comments of users are divided over two different forums. I'm sure there are also people on K&M that have no idea of the stuff that's released on the pckf and that's just sad.

Adurdin, I see no problem if people just use the subforums the way they're supposed to be used.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I think this is looking pretty good! Love to see these emoticons in new environment. :dopekeen As for K:M and PCKF, I prefer to keep them separated. PCKF is for all kinds of Keen stuff, K:M is just for Keen modding. I see no problem with this at all...
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

I know KR, I never thought you were capable of understanding.