Welcome to the new PCKF!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

hey q90 long time no see
(i used to be ME!)
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

Hey there Memsys! Yeah it's been a slightly long time since I last posted. Thankfully, it doesn't appear as though the move has killed PCKF.

As long as the :rasta emoticon still exists, I'm content.
Member since 2003, with breaks of varying longevity interspersed.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Me wrote:But it's only 2008! Holy Crap!
What the fucl was I talking about here? Must have been subtle...

Also, I find it amusing that the gasping emoticon is called 'Holy Crap!'

Also also, welcome back Q90!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Shadow Master wrote:It feels strange for me to have moderator powers in another phpBB board (www.wesnoth.org/forums) and not here. I miss the IP, lock, delete, move and split buttons.
Bump.

I administrate the Rescue Forum (http://therescueseries.forumotion.com) and I miss the "Administration Panel" link at the bottom of the page. :dead2 I also miss the IP, lock, edit, delete, split, merge, unlock, move buttons as well as the "Quick Mod tools" drop-down. I'm a full-power admin there. :drool

Okay, maybe I don't have access to the servimg account, but who cares. :dead
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Anyone remember me? ID Software thanked me for finding the Keen 3 flying trick in 2003. But I was here from at least 1998.

Heh. :dopekeen

Is anyone left from back then?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Rorie kept asking about old members including you.

The biggest old-timer reunion was here I guess: https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=388
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Neat. Nice to see a true old-skooler here! :) I'm not from that far away, though. You must be surprised to see how well Keen is still doing, and all the fan made stuff that has accumulated during the years...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Well, a good deal of it was around when I was here - I can't remember the exact time I left, but it was sometime between the last release of Isis II and the 2nd-last one.

I wonder if I still have some stuff that can no longer be found elsewhere, actually. Is there some sort of central "Keen Download Archive" for fan content that has everything ever released?

I'm just surprised that things have continued apace. Communities for other, more recent, games have died or severely contracted, but this one just keeps going. The departure of old members doesn't seem to hurt.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

I wonder what it is about Keen that makes it have such longevity...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I guess the most complete fan-game database is still spatang, but for the newer mods see bipship.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Hmm. The best place to put such a database, and to ensure its future upkeep even as members depart and new people come in, would be on the Keenwiki. The download links for the fangames & mods would not necessarily have to be hosted on the actual wiki, but could be offsite links to Mediafire or something. Sortable tables would be best.

I think I'll start working on this soon, if no-one has major objections.

EDIT: Wow, the list of mods on Keeniverse is wonderful - screenshots, descriptions, tags and everything. Although it still depends on the owner not going away...
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

KeenRush's Keeniverse is indeed nicely done, but KeenRush has something agains updates, so he doesn't do any. The newer entries on KeenWiki, where I made them are linked to bipship or in case of my own mods, mediafire. If you have some things that aren't mentioned there, I encourage you to put it up there.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks a lot Snortimer, that's my site alright. ;) Not going to go away anytime soon, I hope. :dopekeen As said, I'm a garg when it comes to updating, the site should have a new design, I should add the ten (or more :bloody) missing mods, etc...

I guess it just proves these are some of the best games ever made, the longevity of the community. And there's even a separate Keen community in German language! Plus plenty of stuff (mainly drawings) that people have made who have never even been in these forums.

And yeah, something huge archive for all the fan made stuff would be cool.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I can't say that I remember you, but it's very cool to see oldbies come back after so many years. Welcome back and enjoy your hopefully long stay. :D

This does bring up an interesting point, one that I always thought about.
What IS it about Commander Keen?
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Galaxieretter wrote:What IS it about Commander Keen?
Nostalgia? Plus the fact that there's already a pretty big community for it. (It's a bit of a paradox, really. People stay around because there's other people around)
If I hadn't found all the fan sites and stuff about Keen, I wonder if I would actually like it as much. I've always liked the games, but after seeing the community, it instantly became one of my favorite games.