Welcome to the new PCKF!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

If it was nostalgia, then wouldn't there be big 3D Pinball: Space Cadet communities? :p
I think Genius has a point: there's a community that makes some pretty awesome stuff, and that attracts more people, who realize that Commander Keen is pretty awesome, and they make pretty awesome stuff.
It's a vicious cycle. :mort
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Deltamatic wrote:If it was nostalgia, then wouldn't there be big 3D Pinball: Space Cadet communities? :p
I'm just saying - the nostalgia keeps people coming back.

I get the same way with Pokemon... About once a year I feel the urge to play Yellow version again. Sure, it's childish, but everytime I hear those chiptunes songs, I think of when I was 7 years old, playing the Gameboy on the playground at school.

Another thing is the fact that there's no more games being made. For one, it creates a sense of incompleteness, a void that fans try and fill with fangames and mods. And it also keeps the games away from the mainstream.
If there were more games being made, we'd probably have too many members. Once forums reach a certain size, they lose that feeling of a community, where everyone knows everyone else... I believe this point has been discussed here before. This forum is almost a perfect size.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Genius314 wrote:I'm just saying - the nostalgia keeps people coming back.
Is it? I know this isn't the topic to be discussing this in. But I must say something here since it's been said.

It was never a thing of nostalgia for me. I've ALWAYS been playing Commander Keen throughout the years. Not constantly, no, but I would always come back to it. It's not nostalgic unless you don't play it for many, many years. Also playing Commander Keen doesn't bring back special memories for me. I just like it because I always did.

Commander Keen did not suddenly become my "favorite game" when I joined the PCKF. I won't lie here, Tyrian has always held that spot for me. But science fiction, especially oldschool science fiction, pre-60s / pre spece flight, is my favorite stuff. Commander Keen is a modern example of some of these ideas. That, and it's just good, old, classic platforming fun.

When I joined I made a lot of fan art. Then again... I always drew fan art of Commander Keen. Just not in the volume I did after I joined. :old Since then I stuck around because I want to see a new Commander Keen game be made. That's why. I support Commander Keen. Also the PCKF has a community unlike any other. Very friendly and technical. (Until recently it seems.)

I never made a mod. I never really played mods (I had some terrible experiences with I think Keen Rush's and Xkyler's if I remember correctly.) but some of them look really cool. It's not the mods that make me interested in Commander Keen, it's the games themselves.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Galaxieretter wrote:Very friendly and technical. (Until recently it seems.)
Did it lose its friendliness or technicality?