Fatal Racing / Whiplash

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Fatal Racing / Whiplash

Post by MoffD »

Hey guys! (and gals)

I was wondering if there are any editing programs or anyone familiar with the data files for Fatal Racing (Whiplash in US)

I don't remember if I asked this before or if there already was a topic on this but...

There was a funny cheat in it that turned all the enemy cars into supercars that attack you (setting the playername to DUEL) and re-skinned them black with "Death" and other such things on them that I was hoping to find the data for but I am horrible at reverse engineering :'(

Any help would be appreciated!
Edit: Here's what said cars look like:
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

*Bump*
The audio is in groups of three files with extensions: raw,rfr and rge
Likewise the graphics/models seem to be in multiple files with extensions of x*.bm and y*.bm

Anyone know anything? :'(

Or am I just asking stupid questions? :dopefish
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

You're not asking stupid questions, that is actually really interesting, I simply don't know anything.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Does it have multiple sound options like Keen (All audio in one file) or Dangerous Dave (Audio in several files of different extensions)?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

It's not just different options for different sound cards, is it? The game looks a little too new for those technicalities though.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Levellass wrote:Does it have multiple sound options like Keen (All audio in one file) or Dangerous Dave (Audio in several files of different extensions)?
Like I said earlier it appears to be in multiple "raw" files with rfr and rge files accompanying them.

If anyone wants to take a look I think you can get it off one of the old dos game websites
Edit: Actually I'm not sure if it's abandonware or not (I have a LEGIT cd copy)
Thanks for the help ;)

Edit2: Just found something in the files, a "Language.ini":
English ENG RAW
Francais FRE RFR
Deutsch GER RGE
I guess that explains that, although the RAW file is noticeably larger than the others... will post more updates as I find stuff

Edit3: The music is in a midi format with melodic.bnk and drum.bnk files for the low quality version and unsigned 8 bit @~11kHz mono raw files for the announcer. (I think the HQ is loaded from the CD)
according to 'http://www.shikadi.net/moddingwiki/BNK_Format_(Ad_Lib)' they should be compatible with SBTimbre but it doesn't want to import them

Edit4: I have been trying to directly open the music files (hmp with bnk) but everything I've tried that should support it won't recognize the format, any ideas? tried the MIDI plugin for winamp which says it supports hmp, hmp2mid conversion program and xmiplay which was supposed to support them as well...
Last edited by MoffD on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

*Bump again*
There's something up with the music files which makes them unreadable by standard programs that are compatible, I checked the file formatting and it matches this: "http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=HMP" (they have a HMIMIDIP header dated 013195) so I'm not sure if they're compressed or if something else is wrong.