TonightMan in.... "The Crashing of Parties" !

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

TonightMan in.... "The Crashing of Parties" !

Post by Lava89 »

This is a comic I finished earlier this year, based on my original character, TonightMan. Hope you guys enjoy it!

In "The Crashing of Parties"

Don't want to read it here, on the forum? Here is a zip and comic book viewer file!

What's a comic without some random advertisement shoehorned in? :D

Previous works involving TonightMan:
Original TonightMan promo:

Update to the original TonightMan promo:

The original TonightMan game!

DISCLAIMER: The TonightMan character and all works based on the TonightMan character are property of Nick Lanni.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That's some pretty sleek artwork.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The superhero parody thing is similar to The Tick (also see: The Incredibles, Action League Now). Wouldn't the guy registering the guests have told them that they already caught the party crasher they're looking for? It's a decent start art-wise, but the concept itself is lacking/uninspired (please try not to take it as a personal insult, I'm just being honest).

The characters/powers/setting could be expanded on and fleshed out into something interesting. Right now it's somewhat barren.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:The superhero parody thing is similar to The Tick
Heh I was kinda thinking the same thing, though I've been marathoning that show the last week so it's on the mind right now.

Honestly, I have to agree with VBB. Your artwork is awesome and there were a couple funny bits but, at least so far, there's not enough character depth to make this stand out much. Obviously you can only get so much character depth out of a pilot strip, but seeing superheroes doing normal people things and being incompetent is fairly standard parody at this point.

Keep at it. :) You just need to find what makes TonightMan special(ly ridiculous) and interesting.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Levellass wrote:That's some pretty sleek artwork.
Why, thank you! I appreciate it.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:(please try not to take it as a personal insult, I'm just being honest).
Not at all :) In fact I feel feedback, as long as its constructive, helps me create better art. And I appreciate you taking the time to give me thoughtful feedback.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:The superhero parody thing is similar to The Tick (also see: The Incredibles, Action League Now).
I can see The Tick. Now the Incredibles I wouldn't say has really taken the parody aspect to the level I have. I haven't seen Action League to know what that's like.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Wouldn't the guy registering the guests have told them that they already caught the party crasher they're looking for?
That's a good point. Good plot hole catch :)
VikingBoyBilly wrote:It's a decent start art-wise, but the concept itself is lacking/uninspired

The characters/powers/setting could be expanded on and fleshed out into something interesting. Right now it's somewhat barren.
Thanks for the compliment on the art. I guess my main goal was "is it funny?" -- if not, then it has failed. But I will definitely think of ways now to make the setting more unique. As I see many superhero universes be very unique and interesting but rarely try to make things funny.
StupidBunny wrote: Heh I was kinda thinking the same thing, though I've been marathoning that show the last week so it's on the mind right now.
Yeah, I need to read \ watch more of the Tick. And then look at what will make my series feel different from that. I admit that I haven't been exposed to very many Superhero parodies.
StupidBunny wrote:Keep at it. :) You just need to find what makes TonightMan special(ly ridiculous) and interesting.
Ok, thanks! I will! And thanks for taking the time to weigh in your constructive thoughts on the matter
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I can tell you put care and effort into this and can appreciate that :) Sometimes you don't know if an idea will work until you go for it, and even if it doesn't take, it's still a good way to get other ideas rolling. I haven't read The Tick comics but the animated show is brilliant and certainly a great example of superhero parody. (Also unfamiliar with Action League.) And as with any parody, a great place to start from is the source material itself, and look out for which sorts of tropes to parody, themes to subvert, which era or type of superhero you're out to capture etc.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

StupidBunny wrote:I can tell you put care and effort into this and can appreciate that :) Sometimes you don't know if an idea will work until you go for it, and even if it doesn't take, it's still a good way to get other ideas rolling.
Thanks! Yes, exactly. Its hard with this kind of medium because you don't the immediacy of say, a live audience. So you just have to go with what you think is funny.
StupidBunny wrote:And as with any parody, a great place to start from is the source material itself, and look out for which sorts of tropes to parody, themes to subvert, which era or type of superhero you're out to capture etc.
I think that's actually really good advice. Thanks!