Google Street View - do you think it's great service?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

I can't simply accept removal of all landscape pictures only because it might disturb someone, even without need to prove "it does disturb". I hope, it's false.

And the oldest imagery - you're right, that was awful. Even in 2007 Canon EOS 400D had price under $1000. I can't understand how they came up with the idea of using cameras not better than old camera phone for a such expensive project. Even seven years ago such sensor as in Canon EOS 400D wasn't as expensive!
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

The case of blurred Germany (Blurmany) is disappointing. It's the reaction of Google to enormous hype against Street View in Germany.

The term "archive" doesn't seem to be important for those who hate Google Street View and similar projects.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

No one seems to be disturbed by the thought that the best witness of our age must be destroyed because of unlimited expectation of privacy in open space which some users claim. The best quote in English:
And what if these policies were to change in which blurring was possibly no longer a need? All the unedited, and possibly in the distant future, potentially historical photos would be lost forever in replace of images ridden with blotchy spots. I say let images be preserved!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I'm not sure about the historical accuracy of a registration plate, but that's an interesting point to make. I can't say I disagree - Street View is a good historical record. But not everything that sums up our culture and way of life has street frontage.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

The problem are incorrect blurrings because almost everything is incorrectly recognized as faces and license plates.

I'd be upset if I wasn't allowed to take such pictures because the passers-by and their vehicles except that the fact they're appearing in open space is kept private.
https://www.google.com/maps/@-21.803862 ... 6656?hl=en
I understand the importance of keeping private information private but sorry, it doesn't mean for me that all other cultural values must disappear in order to protect unlimited right to privacy. Just like physical forces - the statement "gravity is useful" doesn't mean that the gravity should be the only physical force which controls the Universe - the Earth would collapse if the matter didn't have resistance to compression.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

The issue is obvious. But there's almost no single such discussion in any English forum.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

So I attempt to have peaceful point of view but almost no one notes it.
The point is... Lots of things are censored in error because the face and license plate detection systems incorrectly identifies them as faces and license plates. And in order to prevent these errors from being irreparable the uncensored version should be kept. Is this so difficult to understand? If someone wants to restrict Google Street View, it's enough to prevent it from being published uncensored. The storage should not be affected. The sooner the data travels to any country which doesn't have unlimited privacy of public space the better. What I know is that the speed of signal transmission is high enough to reach United States from any place of Earth much sooner that the historical version becomes illegal (allegedly in becomes after 6 months in the EU). And I hope United States are area where no hater from Europe, Hong Kong and any other place can easily search all storage media of Google to prove that the history is lost forever and punish if it isn't.

And if the data is broadcast to space, it can reach half of light year to the time it has to die in Europe. And once it's so far, there's surely no chance for random haters to easily reach the storage device and damage it. But it has to be sent so far in the first place and it's extremely difficult...