Windows 10 Technical Preview and Windows Insider Program

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Windows 10 Technical Preview and Windows Insider Program

Post by Fleexy »

Hey there Windows users! You might have heard by now about Microsoft's having released the Technical Preview of Windows 10. (Apparently we're skipping Windows 9.) It's still in testing, but anybody over 18 or willing to lie about their age can join the Windows Insider Program to download it. And, best of all, the feedback app that comes with the preview lets you tell Microsoft about your experience and suggest improvements.

A couple days ago, I downloaded and VM-installed the preview. I tested it out live on camera, from installation to exploration of all the new things. The resulting video is over one hour long (with all the boring progress-bar screens edited out!) and is a pretty interesting and thorough tour of my experience.

I'd love to hear some discussion of the direction Windows is going, especially in regard to this release.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Because I'm the only other user beside you, who is using windows 8 in this forum (everyone here seems to be using linux :crazy) , I doubt you'll get much feedback. I already know what win 10 will offer, but I'll surely check your video later.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I'm really scared that windows 10 will have the same flaws and hardware/software compatibility issues as 8, making it near unusable for me. :crazy Gargdammit, if linux supported all the games that windows does I'd be using it already.
I'm running win 7 right now but will have to face a large problem when I finally get a new computer.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

To me it seems like every other major release is good. They try new things on one release that everyone hates, then fix and improve it based on feedback. Only to make radical changes on the version after that. Well at least it's happened 3 times (2000 > XP > Vista > 7 > 8 > 10), if you exclude windows CE, ME, NT, and the server editions.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

guynietoren wrote:Well at least it's happened 3 times (2000 > XP > Vista > 7 > 8 > 10), if you exclude windows CE, ME, NT, and the server editions.
Actually, you're ordering is correct if you don't count 2000 (which is technically Windows NT 5.0), but do count ME. I've heard alot of good things about 2000 but I've heard and experienced terrible things with ME. It almost reminds me of even \ odd ordering of the Classic Star Trek movies. With Windows ME being the Star Trek V of the Windows Clan.

I didn't consider Vista to be too bad, but its considered one of the "duds" by most, if you will. And I think most people had trouble with the upgrade version of Vista, whereas it came on my computer pre-installed.

Going by your reasoning Windows 95 is another OS that tried alot of new things, so you could technically include it as part of the "dud" list-- especially if you consider the compatibility issues going from 3.1 to 95. Then 98 came and really built upon 95, being a much more polished update.

The problem I had with Windows 8, is its design. Which really hasn't been an issue in any the previous updates to Windows-- its mostly been compatibility and stability issues. But its inconceivable that after the success of 7, that they'd make a 180 turn from the design practices that have worked since Win95 and make an OS that is solely geared for touch screens and tablets \ mobile devices.

So this is my ordering... (-) means its a dud:
95 (-) => 98 => ME (----) => XP => Vista (-) => 7 => 8 (-) => 10 (hopefully really good!)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

The way I see Windows 10 is as Windows 8.2. At this point I don't see any significant improvements from 8.1 for me to move on.

Their numbering is a marketing gimmick. They wont admit, but they name it 10 for breaking the rule of numbering (even = bad sales and odd = good sales), expecting that this time an even number will bring them good sales... Whether they name it Windows 10 or Windows 100, in the end it doesn't even matter.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

wiivn wrote: Their numbering is a marketing gimmick. They wont admit, but they name it 10 for breaking the rule of numbering (even = bad sales and odd = good sales), expecting that this time an even number will bring them good sales... Whether they name it Windows 10 or Windows 100, in the end it doesn't even matter.
I'm not sure if they are reading as much into the even \ odd thing. I could see naming it Windows 9 as a gimmick to distance themselves from Windows 8, but skipping over to 10 seemed really weird. In fact, I remember them announcing Windows 9 a while back, and the screens looked pretty much the same as the ones they're now showing for 10 (i.e. dedicated start menu with Windows 8 motif). So its definitely a gimmick.

I read someone bring up a good point, in that perhaps naming it 9 would create problems with older programs which might confuse the version of Windows with 95 or 98. That seems to be the best explanation I've heard so far. Though I'd be curious to hear the official reasoning from Microsoft.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

That seems logical, but the real reason is behind their codename Threshold. And that means one OS for all devices including smartphones. Originally, Windows 9 was going to be just one step closer for their goal, but I think they decided that they want to combine Windows phone 8 with Windows 9 = 10. Also, they want to bring Windows 7 users, so they name it Windows 10. 10-7=3 - Half-Life 3 confirmed!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

wiivn wrote:Also, they want to bring Windows 7 users, so they name it Windows 10. 10-7=3 - Half-Life 3 confirmed!
Also also: Windows 10=Windows 2 in binary!

At least they're actually listening to feedback (outrage) instead of saying "What, the customers don't like our new interface? forget them AND their startbar!" Of course if they didn't they probably would have gone out of business long ago...
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I was greatly disappointed with that in win 8 though. Even after the major outrage, instead of reimplementing the start menu function, they merely turned the metro/desktop switch into a half-assed start button lookalike. >:
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Is this really a complaining? Big deal! ... In win 10 you can easily configure the start menu to look exactly the same as in win 7. As for win 8, you can right click on the start menu for all the important features, and configure the metro for the apps you're installing on the desktop, OR you can install third party start menus if you miss that that much..
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Just 2 versions away from a Tron Legacy reference. "This year we put a 12 on the box!", then the biggest shareholder gives it away for free. Which is probably Bill Gates. But I doubt we'll get to see him base jump.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Lava89 wrote:
wiivn wrote:I read someone bring up a good point, in that perhaps naming it 9 would create problems with older programs which might confuse the version of Windows with 95 or 98. That seems to be the best explanation I've heard so far. Though I'd be curious to hear the official reasoning from Microsoft.
Oh yes, you will not BELIEVE how many programs go 'Hey, is there a '9' in the version name? Ok, that's 95\8.'

Lazy? Oh yes. Common? You damn betcha.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Levellass wrote:Oh yes, you will not BELIEVE how many programs go 'Hey, is there a '9' in the version name? Ok, that's 95\8.'

Lazy? Oh yes. Common? You damn betcha.
But then again, imagine the possibilities! All windows 95/98 programs suddenly working on Windows 9! :foot