Sprite upscaling tutorial

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Sprite upscaling tutorial

Post by guynietoren »

This is a tutorial of my method of redrawing Keen sprites in 4 times the resolution. I made this since several people wanted to know how it was done.

Here's the thread containing my Keen 4 art.
viewtopic.php?t=1635

I'm not sure at this point if I will continue to do more on it. It's a lot more work than I first realized. Some sprites are easier to do, where as others require a lot more detail to be added that's missing from the originals.

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

this is neat.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

We seriously, SERIOUSLY need a 4x upscale version of Keen 4. I know CG must be capable of it.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Just the thought makes me drool.
gerstrong wrote:I can support higher res tiles and also plan to do that, but for now only more colors.

Those tiles look impressive I really like them. If you happen to finish them, so the two tilemaps used in Keen 4 are complete I would support them in Commander Genius and you can play the game using those. I also would support high-res sprites.

Since this is a bit more time consuming to support I'd rather prefer see those tilemaps completed, because adding the support for higher res that would not be used anyways is something I want to avoid.
I have faith that he can adapt CG to handle it, but understandably that won't start till the up scaling is done.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

This is fantastic tutorial, thanks! :)
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Blah. I tried starting on the ground tiles, but realized the ones I had already made are 5 tiles wide(blissfully ignoring their height), when it should be 2 to 4 wide to line up. Unless I'm looking at it wrong. Hah. I was hoping to not have to do it over again, as they're a pain to line up so they tile without looking weird.

Edit: Yeah I'll have to redo them. The originals textures didn't line up the floors with the walls very well either. An error that will look worse if I try to match it. So the solution is to draw new ones from scratch, while trying to keep the same look of them.