Hovertank 3D modding

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Hovertank 3D modding

Post by szemi »

Hello. Is Keengraph compatible with Hovertank?
Question: How can I make Hovertank or any other DOS game patcher file? (aka H3DPATCH.EXE for example) I wanna learn it.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

It appears that Hovertank 3-D uses the same level and graphics formats as Keen Vorticons. With some finagling, you should be able to get KeenGraph and Mindbelt working with it. FleexCore2 also supports it, if someone wants to write a wrapper.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

in Keengraph what can I write as episode number?

As for example for Bio Menace it's "episode=21". For Hovertank I don't know what the number is.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Oops, there is no number for Hovertank. However, EModKeen is able to handle arbitrary chunk offsets, if I remember correctly. Also - my mistake - Hovertank's graphics are like those of Keen Galaxy. If you can set up EModKeen, use the offsets found in this Hovertank source file.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It'd need a minor tweaking of KG; the problem with level editing is that you'd probably have to rely on TED5 as far as I know. Do you have the Hovertank files?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Alright, so this is super weird. Graphics are like those of Keen:Galaxy; Abiathar/FleexCore2 can deal with them. Levels, however, are like those of Keen:Vorticons. FleexCore2 has things to deal with that, but Abiathar can't. I'm not even sure that TED5 can handle this mixture. What you might have to do is extract the graphics with a modification of KG or a wrapper around FC2, manually create a symbolic Vorticons-style tileset, and load the levels and that tileset in Mindbelt.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That could be done, expanding the 8x8 tiles to 16x16.

This setup can be handled by the earlier versions of TED, not sure about TED5. sadly I don't know of anyone who has those versions. (DDICI released with a Vorticons only TED I believe.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.