Could you please make complete backup of this forum?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Could you please make complete backup of this forum?

Post by SupFanat »

It happened once - the forum on ezboard was badly damaged.
Please don't let it to happen again. Make a complete backup. Thank you.
Ironically, the size of all threads is so tiny that every single user could in theory host backup of all threads at once. But the site doesn't offer such option.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Solution:

(I can't find the fan art for KeenCloud.)
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Hold on while I recursively grab every page on this forum... (currently have 32MB of stuff, but lots of duplicates which I'll clean up later)

Edit: This website downloader thing apparently will grab the exact same page multiple times if there are multiple links to it, which results in an insane number of duplicates of useless pages like the login screen. If I let this run longer, I think I might use up all my outgoing data for this month. (My ISP limits me to 250GB per month.) A better plan would be to find the server operator and have him make a back-up of the SQL database that stores all the forum data.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Shockshund! Come back before they back everything up! :shockshund
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Fleexy wrote:Hold on while I recursively grab every page on this forum... (currently have 32MB of stuff, but lots of duplicates which I'll clean up later)
Ah brute force then? good ol' wget should work *shamelessley plugs linux*

Code: Select all

wget -r www.pckf.com
I just thought it was better to make a backup server side and then download it compressed
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

Fleexy wrote:Hold on while I recursively grab every page on this forum... (currently have 32MB of stuff, but lots of duplicates which I'll clean up later)

Edit: This website downloader thing apparently will grab the exact same page multiple times if there are multiple links to it, which results in an insane number of duplicates of useless pages like the login screen. If I let this run longer, I think I might use up all my outgoing data for this month. (My ISP limits me to 250GB per month.) A better plan would be to find the server operator and have him make a back-up of the SQL database that stores all the forum data.
These duplicates of useless pages explain why this simple solution wouldn't work.
If all posts of thread could be displayed on a single page, it would be helpful for such mass download. Unfortunately, this function seems to be missing.

Limited internet connection is bad. Do you live in Australia, a country which is said to have such bad internet? Or do you prefer the cheapest option?
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Good idea.

It would be a good idea to make a backup of Keen:Modding, too.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

lemm wrote:Good idea.

It would be a good idea to make a backup of Keen:Modding, too.
Yes, of course.
The one case of damaged ezBoard is more than enough.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Fleexy wrote:A better plan would be to find the server operator and have him make a back-up of the SQL database that stores all the forum data.
And after that, upgrade to a modern version of phpBB with security support, really.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

I had to do this with the old Lemmings Forums when moving to a new host - the admin in charge had gone AWOL, the only admin who was around had only admin panel access (no server / database access) so had to resort to using WinHTTrack to download every page as HTML, then parse that manually to extract the content of the posts / attachments.

This site is PHPBB (Lemmings Forums was SMF), but it should still be possible to do by messing with the mass downloader's settings in a similar way - for example I ignored any link that wasn't a board index or a topic, ignored any that had a page number other than "1" or "Show All", etc. It did help that the admin who was present was at least able to give me Admin status too, so I could change any settings on the site itself nessecary to facilitate this. By far the harder part was actually parsing the downloaded HTML.

I haven't been here in a long time now, but I'm fairly sure there are active admins with access to the server and database? If so, they can back it up much more efficiently than this... or is the lack of them the problem?
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Shockshund! Come back before they back everything up! :shockshund
I'll see what I can do... (not rly... wouldn't be a good look for me to destroy these forums while I'm now the head admin of another forum, would it? Though for the record I never actually destroyed this forum; just hit it with some major spam back when I would've been... what, 14 maybe?)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Wait... Namida, are you actually the legendary Shockshund I heard about?
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Sure am, though I think "legendary" may be a bit of an exaggeration. All it really came down to was an extremely immature attitude (possibly partially explained by my age at the time, heck, I was 9 when I first discovered this place) combined with a knowledge of things that someone that age probably shouldn't (but in practice, usually does) know.

There again, the passage of time always tends to cause things to either become completely obscure, or exaggerated...
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

PLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEE SHOW ME WHAT YOU DID!

I WANT TO SEE YOUR WORK :begging
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

I don't really think it can be "shown" as such. Partly due to, of course, the lack of backups. :P

Was pretty much just typical self-obsessed-preteen-brat-on-the-internet type stuff. Lots of insisting that my stuff matters most, a new fangame concept idea every 5 minutes (that most never got past a one-level demo and were all poorly-made Click & Create games). In one case, I wrote a list of 100 planned enemies (none which had actually been made outside of my head yet), with one very popular fangame mentioning that one of their creatures happened to be similar, which led to endless rants by me about how much that game sucked and insisting that they remove the creature from their game (never actually found out which one it was, though). Of course - in practice I actually enjoyed that game a lot, but you know what people that age are like when it comes to admitting that kind of thing.

Another time, I created my own forum which was tangentially related, and it ended up getting hit by people who were... basically the same as me, but had a lot more knowledge of R18 type content. Needless to say, I "decided" that it *must* be the admins / popular users here doing it, and wouldn't shut up with accusations of that either.

I think the worst thing I ever did was, when someone else used a signature hack that changed the page's background to an image, I used the same thing with a much less appropriate image... but yeah, that's about as bad as it gets. No actual hacking the site or anything from me. I'm not sure what happened with the decision to move off ezBoard - I wasn't really hanging around here at that time - but the only "hack" I remember happening, was nothing to do with me, but was just an elaborate April Fools prank by the staff.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Oh my god! I gotta study PHPBB code and SQL injection to force the skin I want onto the board! Thanks shockshund! :shockshund