Just played Crash Bandicoot on emulator

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Just played Crash Bandicoot on emulator

Post by KeenRush »

As the title says, I just played Crash Bandicoot on an emulator -- and it works perfectly! My computer isn't state of the art but seemingly Playstation 1 emulation is no problem at all. I don't know how I got the idea into my head to try it again (I haven't played it since I put my PS1 away, a million years ago), but I did, and this time -- which is increasingly rare -- I actually played the game myself instead of watching a video of someone else playing, which I tend to do nowadays if I get the craving to see some old game again. Anyway, this game works nicely with the PC keyboard -- there are two actions, jump and attack, and arrows for moving around, so you don't miss the PS controller. Too bad this never was for PC, I love the way this early 3D looks, but PC sort of missed the platformers, all the platformers were for consoles. Damn that iD Software. :p They might have been able to bring a game like this (TUIT) a couple of years earlier, for PC, had they focused on it.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

System requirements for PS1 emulation are virtually negligable. I was able to emulate it (albeit at fairly low settings) on a Pentium 1 back in the day. Obviously this wouldn't hold true if you're wanting to upscale the graphics, of course.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Re: Just played Crash Bandicoot on emulator

Post by Lava89 »

KeenRush wrote:Anyway, this game works nicely with the PC keyboard -- there are two actions, jump and attack, and arrows for moving around, so you don't miss the PS controller.
Yeah, and if you do want to use a controller (which I prefer with platformers), the 360 controller interfaces well with most PC's (I prefer having thumb sticks diagonal from each other, over the PSX design) and there's been plenty of PSX knockoffs for the PC...I can even use the gravis gamepad with a game port adapter and I have an NES controller adapter as well, so I'm sure someone has made adapters for the PSX...I even heard the PS4 has basic functionality on the PC, via USB.

That's what I love about the PC, virtually every controller can be adapted in some way.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Not sure about PS4, but PS3 controllers can be used (via either USB or bluetooth), although a specialized app is required. They can be set to either emulate XBox controllers, or emulate DirectInput (ie: standard PC type) controllers.

And yes, PS1 to PC convertors definitely exist. The majority of them support both PS1 and PS2 controllers.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I actually was sent a playstation emulator in the mail –before they were called emulators. I freaked out when I could play the Croc CD on my computer.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass