Building the spam-toasting moderator bot

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Fleexy wrote:I see the Trash Can subforum has been created, so I guess the administration is on board with this? I've created an account called FleexBot for the bot to eventually use; I'm open to other names if people don't like that one. Though I did notice when registering that new accounts have to be activated by administrators; are spammers getting accidentally approved? If we had a bit of a process (maybe require a quick personal e-mail to a board admin) before allowing accounts to post, an automated system wouldn't really be necessary. Though there are probably other interesting services a mod bot could provide, e.g. welcome messages to new users, fixups to BBCode links, moderator elections, whatever else you can think of.
I just recently put on admin approvals, (after having a broken self-approval system and then nothing at all) but to be honest it's more trouble than it's worth and I will probably take it off again pretty soon, which will probably be more spam.
namida wrote:The admins don't have this? That's a bit messy.
Indeed. Our server and database is hosted by one person, the url is owned by another, and the admins are different people entirely. Not exactly ideal, but it's what we're working with these days.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Wow. And contact with those people is limited, I'm guessing? o_O
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Nobody knows if Andy is still alive, he vanished after the Great War. Rumor has it he went underground, joining a group of militant survivalists.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.